The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default When returning a saddle via UPS

    do you declare a value on it?

    This tack shop just sent me a saddle with a 29cm tree that's supposed to have a 34 or 34 cm tree. If I ship it back with a declared value it's costing me an extra $18.00. I'm doing it because I'm always cautious but I'm sick of other people's mistakes costing me money.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Location
    Mudville, GA ;-)
    Posts
    9,182

    Default

    I do because I know the one time I don't, something will happen and I'll be buying a saddle I can't use.
    Is the tack place reimbursing you, can you ship it COD or use their account #? If they really sent you the wrong thing, I'd push for them to pay return shipping and insurance, but no matter who pays, I'd insure it.
    Y'all ain't right!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2008
    Location
    Goshen NY
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Hay

    I agree with Beastie Slave. You can ask for their account number and when you UPS it, give that number to the man. You won't have to pay anything but do declare all.

    We use UPS daily and shoot, if things are not bashed around and crushed...Wouldn't that be awful, if they received the saddle all bashed up and then...more problems...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,508

    Default

    If you check out the label that came on the box when it arrived you will find the "tracking number" It starts with a Z. The next six digits are the account number for the person that sent you the saddle, Send it back with the shipping charged to that shipper number (if it was their mistake) and declare the value.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2006
    Location
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    do you declare a value on it?

    This tack shop just sent me a saddle with a 29cm tree that's supposed to have a 34 or 34 cm tree. If I ship it back with a declared value it's costing me an extra $18.00. I'm doing it because I'm always cautious but I'm sick of other people's mistakes costing me money.

    If it was their error they should be reimbursing you for shipping anyway. Declare the full value and get the insurance. Better safe than sorry!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 6, 2000
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,315

    Default

    If you don't use the insurance, you're essentially "self-insuring"--i.e. if something goes wrong you'll pay for the saddle.

    Call the tack shop and ask them what they want you to do. Speak to the manager and get explicit authorization either for not insuring it (but with the stipulation that the tack shop is the one that will pay if the saddle is damaged) or that the shop will pay for the insurance. Also, take photos of the saddle before you ship it, to document the saddle's condition before shipping.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky



  7. #7
    grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    Thanks guys. It is indeed insured. I'm going to contact the tack shop owner.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    If it was the tack shop's error, they should cover the return shipping. Often what I've had happen is that I would call and the tack shop would send a UPS call tag so UPS would come pick it up and they (the tack shop) would pay for the shipping. I had only to get the item ready to go back in a box and when the UPS driver comes, he puts the label on and away it goes. Or I've also had the tack store e-mail a label that I can use to send it back on their dime.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 27, 2008
    Posts
    610

    Default

    If you haven't shipped already, you may want to use Fed-X or USPS. A friend who has an ebay business says UPS is always more for larger items. I found that to be true w/ the * or more saddles I tried. I always insured + tracking # because my luck is so bad that I could just see the UPS truck that might have my saddle in it, making the 6 pm news because it had a bad wreck and the saddle was one the boxes run over! The return shipping always cost me around $80.



  10. #10
    grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    How hard is it to arrange for a package to be picked up for Chrissake? The tack shop owner says he will reimburse, but heck, he already sent an incorrectly sized saddle (which he says I'm mistaken about, as though I can't see or use a tape measure), so why should I believe him.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2008
    Location
    Goshen NY
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Hay

    Previous poster said: "If you haven't shipped already, you may want to use Fed-X or USPS. A friend who has an ebay business says UPS is always more for larger items."

    This is not true. The post office is MOST expensive for large packages. UPS and FED EX are the cheaper of the three for large packages but on small packages, under 1 - 2 lbs, the post office is the way to go especially if you know how to pack the item and get around the system.

    grayandbays: You can ask the tack store to please "issue a call tag" to pick this item up. A call tag is with UPS. They will fumble all around as it is the most expensive way to get something picked up but most convenient for the person who the item is getting picked up from. If they won't do that, then ask for their UPS shipper number which they usually will gladly give so they don't have to do a call tag. No one wants to do a call tag!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook



  12. #12
    grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    Uh, I'm not graysandbays.

    They gave me an account number, but it did not work.

    All they have to do is email a tag. How hard is that? Do a lot of people really not have scanners?



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2008
    Location
    Goshen NY
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Hay

    Sorry grayarabpony!

    It didn't work, then try the "issue a call tag" thing...You'll see someone squirm.

    Gosh, what horrible customer service! Who IS this?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 6, 2000
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,315

    Default

    Grayarabpony--it's not clear that you could measure the width of a saddle correctly with a tape measure. Each saddlemaker has its own way of determining the width of a saddle; so a 32 Stubben is considered a wide, while I believe a 32 Prestige is their medium. Unless you're very familiar with the individual saddle brand, you wouldn't necessarily know where to measure to check the size.

    Usually a saddle will have an embossed or engraved size on the underside of the flap.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2002
    Location
    The horse country of VA
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    All they have to do is email a tag. How hard is that? Do a lot of people really not have scanners?
    Actually, as others have mentioned, all they have to (should!) do is issue a call tag to UPS. Then, all you need to do is have the package ready for pick up on the specified date. Most reputable companies have no problem doing it this way.

    Good luck!
    Equus Keepus Brokus



  16. #16
    grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    Grayarabpony--it's not clear that you could measure the width of a saddle correctly with a tape measure. Each saddlemaker has its own way of determining the width of a saddle; so a 32 Stubben is considered a wide, while I believe a 32 Prestige is their medium. Unless you're very familiar with the individual saddle brand, you wouldn't necessarily know where to measure to check the size.

    Usually a saddle will have an embossed or engraved size on the underside of the flap.
    Sure I can. It's easy to determine where the saddle points are. At any rate, it's very clear that the saddle is not a 35 cm. Any one with eyes can see if a saddle is more narrow than their 30 cm saddle.



  17. #17
    grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    Sorry grayarabpony!

    It didn't work, then try the "issue a call tag" thing...You'll see someone squirm.

    Gosh, what horrible customer service! Who IS this?
    A tack shop in Southern Pines.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    If you check out the label that came on the box when it arrived you will find the "tracking number" It starts with a Z. The next six digits are the account number for the person that sent you the saddle, Send it back with the shipping charged to that shipper number (if it was their mistake) and declare the value.
    Easy!



Similar Threads

  1. Sigh.....need saddle help, advice. Update on new saddle.
    By jeano in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Apr. 23, 2008, 08:38 AM
  2. Buying a Dressage Saddle- IL saddle fitters
    By GallopGal in forum Dressage
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb. 21, 2008, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness