The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dang it... Update: She's home! See post 19.

[I can't post a link, cause she's for sale...]

I was flipping thru the local Craigslist this evening and came across an ad for a mare. She's listed as a "project", for dirt cheap. My BO/trainer bred this mare 5 years ago. She's a lovely reg. Saddlebred. Already foaled... looks like nothing been done with her since she left the BO's place.

I did send my BO a couple emails... not sure if she's in the position to buy her back or not. Mare is skinny, not horribly skinny but definitely not up to par. I sent the rescue (where the mare is currently residing) an email inquiring how they came to obtain her. Not sure if I'll get a response back, but it's worth a shot.

I would have bought this mare back in '04 when she became available, if I had the money (poor college student living out of state with my other boy at the time). She's nicely bred and all my BO/trainer's foals have turn into awesome horses. I'm a bit upset she ended up like this, but thankfully she's in a good rescue for the time being, and who knows what my BO will do?

So, have any of you stumbled across a horse/pony that you knew that's gone thru a rough patch? If I had the resources, I'd buy her. She's dirt cheap... and I know she went for at least 10x what the rescue is asking for her, and even that is cheap.

Oh well, I was just a bit bummed to find her on Craigslist, let alone as a "rescue" on a well-known (locally) rescue place. Hopefully she'll get a new home for Christmas.
    Last edited by appychik; Jan. 1, 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Cause I found out more information.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

UPDATE: So, my BO said she wasn't sure if she should kill me or kiss me, lol. She's (hopefully) going to be picking up the sweetie this Monday. I'm so excited. Looks like I may actually get to work with her. I'd could definitely afford to purchase this little mare, err she's 15.2 so not that little, but sadly can't afford the board, plus vet bills on her. But, I'm really hoping things work out and I get to work with her.

Unfortunately, the "rescue" isn't responding to my BO's emails or phone calls. They don't have an answering machine... so, I'm really hoping that they'll get back to her soon.

So, maybe I'll have a new mare to brag about soon. I'm really hoping to. She's just a nice looking Saddlebred. Very pretty.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

It is great when situations like this have a happy ending. You will definitely have to post updates for the ASB clique.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Ohh, I will, won't I . It's too bad she doesn't have spots. Nah, she's a lovely mare all by herself. I'm hoping to get some good photos of her too, once things are official.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Good for you for recognizing her and drawing her to someone's attention who may be able to help her out! You get a gold star!!!!

I hope everything works out okay! We have a local rescue and I've tried to get through to them numerous times about a horse they were "desperate" to place--sent a couple emails and tried to call them several times (during business hours) but no one ever picked up and they never returned my calls.... Huh??? How do they expect to place horses if no one can get through to them? Okay, rant over!
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

You might want to alert the breeder, OTHER breeders you may know of, AND the rescue to an "alert the breeder when a horse falls on hard times" database.

And where is this database???
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

Here's onw I came across recently: www.horsereunions.com . It's for ALL breeds.

My BO, the breeder, reads Fugly already. So, she's well aware of the database. I may mention it to the rescue though, if we can get thru to her again.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

So, it's official. She's got a new home with my BO as of Monday... when she'll be picked up.

Here's the photos the rescue had available:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

She looks really downhill in that first photo, but the second looks like she's on more level ground. She's a very nicely built mare who should have matured to 16hh (she's supposedly around 15.2). So, makes you wonder, ya know?

And, for all you Saddlebred buffs, here's her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/my+sweet+cherry+wine.

I know her dam personally. Lovely mare. A very pale palomino in color. Nice mare. Had three foals while at my trainer's/BO. [She was owned by three ladies... they each had an breeding right, then she (the dam) went on to become a nanny to a little orphaned foal down the road].

I'm hoping to get new photos on Monday or whenever I'm out next... I'm really hoping to get the chance to work with her. I really hope I can. I'm so happy that we were able to do right by this young mare. She deserves it... makes one wonder how she ended up on the auction block in the first place.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Cute horse! I'm partial to any horses who have "Cherry" in their names. I bet she'll be glad to be back "home"....

I looked at her pedigree--that stallion, Greystone's Conestoga, used to stand at Greystone Manor Stables just a few miles east of where I live. It was a big ASB farm back in the 50's and 60's. In later years it became a boarding facility and that is where my own Cherry (a TB) came from.... Small world!

Life happens--that's how these horses end up in potentially bad places. If people would make a more concerted effort to hook up with the breeders, or past owners a lot of these "at risk" horses wouldn't be at risk, IMO. Several times people have called me to ask me if I wanted a horse but they did so at the very last minute knowing that they only had a day or two to get the horse placed! One time a woman who knew for months she was getting divorced called me to see if I could help out two of her horses--but they had to be gone by the next day. I don't have a farm of my own or a trailer, or access to a trailer and didn't know enough people to help these horses. Had I had more time I might have been able to help. As it was she ended up selling the horses to a dealer who is known to take horses to the New Holland auction rather than try to place in a decent home. And that is how good horses end up in bad places!!!!

You're my hero for recognizing this horse and calling her to the attention of someone who could help her! Thank you, this story made my Christmas this year....

Beaming smile, kudos to you and your BO! Can't wait to see her with a bit of weight and muscle.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I know. I'm SO EXCITED. I really am. She's a very lovely mare that should have had a "forever" home after she left my BO's. Who knows what happened with that. But, I'm very happy that I ran across her ad on Craigslist. I wasn't even supposed to be on there (was on during work hours) but I'm happy that I was.

I'll definitely post updates. I'd love the opportunity to purchase this mare, but sadly finances won't allow it. Err, I could afford her buy her but not afford the upkeep, not with two arthritc/injured/needing-constant-vet-work horses. Oh well, least she's at the BO's (or will be) and I'm going to be able to work with her.

I feel good that I helped a horse in need. First time I've ever "rescued" a horse. Feels really good, ya know? Too bad money was isn't unlimited . Then again, I'd probably get in over my head.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Cute horse! I'm partial to any horses who have "Cherry" in their names. I bet she'll be glad to be back "home"....

I looked at her pedigree--that stallion, Greystone's Conestoga, used to stand at Greystone Manor Stables just a few miles east of where I live. It was a big ASB farm back in the 50's and 60's. In later years it became a boarding facility and that is where my own Cherry (a TB) came from.... Small world!
    LOL. It is a small world. And, last I heard, Cherry lives up to her name. She's just as sweet as can be. My BO names all of her homebreds after songs. I guess there used to be a Saddlebred named Sweet Cherry Wine who was already registered, so she had to add "My" in front of it. Hence the name "My Sweet Cherry Wine".
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Huge thumbs up to your BO for buying her back!! Would that all breeders would be so responsible.

Hope you have a great time with her.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Great Christmas story and I am sure she will be fine after plenty of TLC.

I do have a question about her pedigree, particularly her paternal Great Grandsires. Are they the same horse, twins, or is there a misprint someplace. They have the same sire/dam and birth year, but different names and only 1 has a color listed.

Christa

Not entirely sure about her pedigree. It's what the rescue posted. I know her dam is correct. I'd assume the sire was too... I do know the sire was about 16.2 - 16.3h. He was supposedly a massive guy. So, kinda unsure about the rest of the pedigree. Unfortunately it's all public so anyone can change things...
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    So, have any of you stumbled across a horse/pony that you knew that's gone thru a rough patch?
    Yup.... I brought him home with me in October and haven't looked back.
    He'd been kicking around the local circuit and in various lesson pograms. Then a friend bought him a few years ago, only to run into some difficulty and basically turned him out on 20 acres with no food or water to fend for himself. He was 2 legged lame and a body score of 2 when I got him.

Three months later he's fat and sassy and I adore him.

Hope this mare finds herself a soft place to land. At least she is with a reputable rescue now.

**Edited to add, SO GLAD this mare returned to your BO! Good work on your part, you've got some karma points headed you way.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yea! She's home. Today was the first time I was able to get out to see her. Boy, is she a bit of a mess. She's out with the mare herd now... but the boss mares keep chasing her away. Hopefully that'll only last a day or two, so then she can start chomping away at the hay...

Anyways, she was a good sport about being groomed, but she's very antsy and unsure of everything. I was able to easily pick out her left front hoof, the hinds were able to eventually be picked, but for the life of me she wouldn't let me keep her right front up. Not sure what's up with that, but I don't think she's had a lot of handling since she left my BO's three years ago.

And, she's got this flaky, dry stuff all over her. There's a few patches under the right side of her mane and on her withers, and a bit on the tail head, but the majority is on the rump and flanks. I was able to really get some of it out of there, but I think it'll just take time.

Her mane and tail are a mess, but thankfully not full of burrs, just needing a good shampooing and conditioning. But, that'll have to wait until spring. Too cold now.

So, without further ado, here's the photos I snapped. Definitely not the greatest (the first few) cause they were taken with my camera phone, but the outdoor ones turned out nice. (Oh, and like the perma-halter? ).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink Her butt. Photo is deceiving, but she's lacking a lot of muscle.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink The QH shot . But, really, it shows the lack of fat on this poor mare. Her hips are pretty prominent, but thankfully her spine isn't pertruding.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink Left shoulder, looking towards rump. Also shows lack of muscling & fat.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink My favorite picture. She actually comes running when you call her name. Super sweet. I hope that keeps up too, way easier to catch a horse that comes a runnin' to you when you call, rather then the opposite.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink Shows a few of her battle wounds. The patch of white on her shoulder is actually white hairs, the rest are sores

So, what do ya'll think? I'm keeping updates of her on my blog (err G2's blog ), but I'll also keep COTH well informed. It'll be fun watching her progress. She's an awfully sweet mare. And I'm so proud of my BO. She's the best!
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Big kudos to your BO for taking her back. You made all the difference in the world to this mare.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues