The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Privacy fencing one side of paddocks. Will I be sorry?

We have a seemingly endless stream of renters on the property right next door to me (is it open season on flippers yet?). I would love to privacy fence a portion of the property line but am concerned about how the horses will react in the paddocks with noise but no visuals. The biggest concern is a 30x160 paddock that would have the first 100ft with the highest adjoining traffic fenced to 8'.

Anyone have experience with this? Any insight would be helpful.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com
    Home of Peggy, Doodles, Maggie, and Lexi the wonder horse!

Best thing I have done in the past year was put up a big privacy fence along our busy road.

It is 6 feet tall. Our barn is RIGHT on the road (as in, we have to be sure no cars are coming when we pull hay wagons up...) and the paddock is connected to the barn.

People are ***holes and were throwing things at the horses as they were driving down the road. I swear, people around here are unbelievable...

Solved that problem, and I think the horses are glad to not having things thrown at them, and I have never noticed them react to traffic noise when near the fence.

Check with zoning and see what the fence laws are in your state.

CZHA Guest

Definately! Our friends had a guy who would stop along the country road and revv up his engine to make her horses spin in their corrals ( about 20' from the road ) Privacy Fence ended this.

Thanks for the feedback. We have had an interesting assortment of people in and out of that place and I just want to make them go away as much as possible without trying to buy the place.

As for zoning, we are open rural... as long as I am not within 4 foot of the road itself, I can put up the great wall of china for all they care.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

We are thinking about some on one side of our property. We don't have any serious issues, but I get tired of the innocent "peeping" that always seems to be going on. I don't mind people coming for a visit, I don't mind people stopping to say hello and see the animals...BUT...I do mind sneakiness. Never liked it, never will.

The funny thing is that the peeping actually occurs while the peepers are trespassing on ANOTHER persons property!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Default Good fences make good neighbors

I put up stockade fence a few years along one side of the paddock as a result of some weird neighbors. It's been great. I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyHTF View Post
    As for zoning, we are open rural... as long as I am not within 4 foot of the road itself, I can put up the great wall of china for all they care.
    What I meant is that in your state, is such a fence considered a "legal fence" for livestock? Probably not a big deal unless someone makes an issue of it, but there are fence laws for livestock, and as far as I'm aware, at least some mention of what constitutes a "legal" fence. Your extension agent will probably be able to tell you off the top of his/her head.

In some areas there may be requirements that you cannot impede the free movement of wildlife, and so have height restrictions on fencing as well.

Can you plant some fast-growing tall hedges/trees or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Can you plant some fast-growing tall hedges/trees or something?
    Pretty much set on the fence at this point. We have another neighbor who has put one up and I like the way it looks. With renters going in and out of the place next door and the landowner getting more desperate to keep the place filled... good fences help make good neighbors.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default What JSwan said

I'm sure your horses would get used to the Noises Only issue.
    But you would be safer putting up some horse fencing inside the barrier fence - even if it's just a line of T-posts and tape.
    You don't need your horses kicking through a fence just because it's there.

My pasture runs along a fairly busy road and I had my excavator pile up the scrapings from when he dug the base for a new gravel road to form a berm that runs between the pasture and the road. It's a great visual barrier and I planted it with all sorts of perennials so it's looking better every year.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I am glad you brought up this question, I was actually thinking about doing it on the backside of my property, Peering neighbors drive me nuts.
    I don't want one of there kids walking into my pasture plus it looks nice.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Quote Originally Posted by SandyHTF View Post
    We have a seemingly endless stream of renters on the property right next door to me (is it open season on flippers yet?). I would love to privacy fence a portion of the property line but am concerned about how the horses will react in the paddocks with noise but no visuals. The biggest concern is a 30x160 paddock that would have the first 100ft with the highest adjoining traffic fenced to 8'.

Anyone have experience with this? Any insight would be helpful.
    they wont be bothered my horses back on to the motorway they used to have a fenceline post and rail right on the verge next to the emegency lane
    when they widen the motorway which took 2 acres of my land i now have a full 6ft fence line plus a gape of about 60 ft then post and rail fence line its dont stop the noise but then i have come acustume to the noise level, none of it blocks out the noise of the motorway the gap has trees and shrubs planted in it
    and we also have low flying aircraft so a bit of noise wont hurt they will just take it inthere stride also on my lane where my horses are is 3 truck and trialer fitters so have huge lorries going up and down all the time noise is nothing inactual fact will help you

They'll get used to it.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!