The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default from Equisearch: "David O'Connor on the Latest on Eventing Safety"

Nancy Jaffer's On the Rail: David O'Connor on the Latest on Eventing Safety

The piece is a general year-end wrap-up of safety topics. Worth a look but nothing new.

However, this stood out:

David noted the number of human deaths this year in the sport has declined, with only two fatalities worldwide, compared with 16 over an 18-month period in 2006 and 2007. Though it would be great if the number could be zero, there isn't a way to prevent every accident.
    Except the death count for 2008 is four: Franz Graf, Karen Rodgers, Emma Jonathan, and Stephen Moore.

In addition, Pony Clubber Jade South died in a rotational fall on XC at a PC event.

(Debbie Atkinson died in 2008 from complications resulting from her 2006 (?) accident. While she shouldn't be on this year's list, her death should be noted on eventing's sad list of human fatalities.)
    Last edited by JER; Jan. 2, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

For some reason, this statement caught my eye:

What should help nip problems in the bud is a watch list of competitors who have been seen riding dangerously. It will go into effect in 2009, enabling officials to keep a closer eye on riders who may be courting danger and should be stopped before they really get into trouble.
    It made me wonder, in fact: Of the riders who had bad falls btwn 2006-2008 (however you want to define a "bad fall"), does anyone know if and/or how many would have been on a watch list had there been one at the time?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    It made me wonder, in fact: Of the riders who had bad falls btwn 2006-2008 (however you want to define a "bad fall"), does anyone know if and/or how many would have been on a watch list had there been one at the time?
    Good question, Wynn. How could anyone know without comprehensive, systematic accident reviews? Maybe this data exists in somebody's head somewhere.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I would suppose that you could answer that question, after a fashion, if you had solid eyewitness reports about each rider in that group from the events though I do not believe the USEA/USEF has the information you would need to give you an answer that would be acceptably conclusive from a factual point of view. Regardless of whether or not the question can be or has been answered, it would be most useful in laying the groundwork for the new watch list standards if there is a way to answer it accurately.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

That's pretty embarassing that he didn't have his numbers right...you would think if he's making public statements he should have all the right info.

I'm interested in hearing how many riders had serious injuries that landed them in hospital. It seems there were quite a few of those.

And let's not forget the countless horses who were lost

Somehow David O. has a great talent for going on and on and saying nothing at all.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Somehow David O. has a great talent for going on and on and saying nothing at all.
    David was born to lead. Not to read.

For some reason, this statement caught my eye:
    Several people have indicated to me that they thought Laine Ashker (sp?) SHOULD have been on a watch list if there was one. But who knows. (I have never seen her ride so I have no opinion.)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Oh God, not again.

Oh God, not again.
    What is happening again?

gets the beer, chips and dip out
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Somebody deleted their post. My "Oh God" is now rendered superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    David was born to lead. Not to read.

Somebody deleted their post. My "Oh God" is now rendered superfluous.
    Nonsense. You can always apply it to whatever I'm saying.

Question What's up with this?

In that vein, does anyone know what Max Corcoran meant in her 12/21/08 Blog entry titled: "What I would give for Christmas...."

To David - Understanding from the eventing world of what goes on behind closed doors - and how he is actually burdened with the knowledge of the truth of how close we are to loosing our sport.
    http://special.equisearch.com/blog/maxcorcoran/

How is anyone supposed to understand if they (read: we) are not allowed to know? Why are the doors closed anyway? What is so bloody secret? This is why I continue to call them TPTB and why I don't feel it is just all "us". Why don't they get how the rest of us would rally around to help if we had any idea what was going on? Isn't this how we lost the long format? Is there some huge advantage to keeping things secret until it's too late to do anything?

This is just so damn frustrating to me. How does one support "eventing" if one is not real clear on what "eventing" is trying to do? Or save?

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I believe Max is referring to the belief (of those in power) that the sport (as they want it) is essentially dying in this country for various reasons and that the battle to keep Eventing in the Olympics is turning into a lost cause. Without the Olympics, the organizational power structure as it is now will crumble, and the development programs would all cease. Eventing would essentially become a backyard sport (if it was able to survive in some organized fashion). I'm not saying that is going to happen or is happening but that is what I get from looking at what they are saying. Logically, if Eventing were to be dropped from the Olympics, there is a good chance that the other multi-national Eventing competitions would end as well given the current climate.

Closed doors are the last thing eventing needs right now. The second-last thing this sport needs is DOC's paternalistic 'you-don't-know-how-much -I'm-really-doing-for-you' attitude.

I've emailed Nancy Jaffer and asked her to run a correction on the body count. I think it's important enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    Good question, Wynn. How could anyone know without comprehensive, systematic accident reviews? Maybe this data exists in somebody's head somewhere.
    I thought the evidence they were looking at came from England and their "Watch List," which is where we got the idea from.

Has any sort of "checklist" been published that itemizes unsafe/dangerous riding? I'd think that would be necessary - but I may have missed its publication along the way.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan