The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is wool the best material for a quarter sheet? And where to find one?

I can find a wool quarter sheet for like $80 through Smartpak, but does anyone know where else to look for a wool quarter sheet (for less $$? or maybe that's a good price, I don't know).

Is wool better than fleece for a quarter sheet? I made a quarter sheet out of an old fleece blanket but I feel like it pulls on me and my horse.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

There are lots of great threads about this topic--try searching the Horse Care forum.

Personally, I really like my wool quarter sheet. It doesn't pull on my horse, it's warm, it wicks moisture, and it doesn't get staticky like a fleece one might. If I were going to upgrade, I'd go with the Schneider's Poly-Tech wicking quarter sheet, but really, I'm very happy with the wool quarter sheet that I bought for $13 last year on Schneider's clearance.

Schneider's quarter sheet selection:
    http://www.sstack.com/shopping/searc...=quarter+sheet

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    There are lots of great threads about this topic--try searching the Horse Care forum.

Personally, I really like my wool quarter sheet. It doesn't pull on my horse, it's warm, it wicks moisture, and it doesn't get staticky like a fleece one might. If I were going to upgrade, I'd go with the Schneider's Poly-Tech wicking quarter sheet, but really, I'm very happy with the wool quarter sheet that I bought for $13 last year on Schneider's clearance.

Schneider's quarter sheet selection:
    http://www.sstack.com/shopping/searc...=quarter+sheet
    Awesome! That's a good price on the wool quarter sheet. Have you felt the Poly-Tech quarter sheet? Is it warm like wool? I'll probably need to call them about what size to get... my horse would be in between the regular and large size...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I haven't seen the Poly-Tech quarter sheet, but I own the Poly-Tech cooler, and it's the bomb. Keeps the horse nice and toasty, weighty without being too heavy, wicks moisture, etc. etc. Again, I have expounded its virtues on many previous threads--try a search.

I'm sure the Ashby is even nicer since it's Schneider's competitor with Thermatex/Thermalux, but I haven't seen it in person.

Notice that Schneider's is selling a wool BLEND quarter sheet, which is 20% acrylic. I would bet that unless you're using it for really hardcore applications, it would be fine. Incidentally, the one I ordered last year on clearance was sold as "wool blend" and when it showed up, it was definitely 100% wool. Go figure!

70% off the Thermatex quarter sheet on Tack of the Day!

I have the cooler and I adore it. Buy them before they sell out
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Depends how you feel about static! I have both and definitely prefer all wool. It's also heavier so not as blowy (both have tail cords). If you want a beautiful one, Saratoga Horseworks has some on sale. I used one that was either Thermatex or Thermalux once and the sparks flew even worse than with my polar fleece one. Ugh!

Okay, so on the subject of quarter sheets: what do you use them for? Just for keeping a clipped horse warm in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Okay, so on the subject of quarter sheets: what do you use them for? Just for keeping a clipped horse warm in the winter?
    I love quarter sheet weather!! Yes, they are for keeping a clipped horse warm during cold weather workouts or even a non clipped horse in windy weather or trail rides outside. Some people use them just during the warmup and cooldown, some use them for the whole ride. Mine is fleece and velcros over the pommel of the saddle so it covers my legs too.

Cool. I was trying to decide if I really wanted to get one though I have no plans of clipping my horse (we don't really show). I haven't had him through the winter yet (just got him in August) so I'm not sure how thick his coat will get, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    70% off the Thermatex quarter sheet on Tack of the Day!

I have the cooler and I adore it. Buy them before they sell out
    I have both the cooler and the quarter sheet..LOVE them both. Everyone at my barn is envious, they are so nice.

I have a Rambo quarter-sheet that I am very happy with. Also have one from Saratoga blanket works that I don't like. But it is waterproof on the outside and lined with polarlfleece.