The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best (toughest) stable sheet

What is a good and tough brand of stable sheet, that will last more than a few months of normal wear and tear?

My mare's brand new Baker sheet ripped the first night she wore it - ripped out at the top seam, and then down the side. Needless to say, I am hugely disappointed. I am taking it back to Dover tomorrow - it will be interesting to see how they handle the situation. One thing is for sure - I will not be buying Baker products again. They certainly don't make these things the way they used to.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Oct. 2, 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Bump.

I have never had an issue with a real Baker sheet. There are many knock offs out there. All my horses have them, I can't think of anything else I like better.

This is why you should always buy horse clothing with a credit card that gives a free extended warranty. . .

I use a rambo turnout even when he has to stay in the barn.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    This is why you should always buy horse clothing with a credit card that gives a free extended warranty. . .

I use a rambo turnout even when he has to stay in the barn.
    Ditto to using a Rambo turnout even in the barn.

I have a 27 yr old whose at least 15 yr old Rambo finally wore out for being a waterproof turnout even after being sprayed with a waterproofing. So, I decided since he was an older guy I'd buy him a less expensive TO as he probably wouldn't be around much longer. I asked COTH readers and several recommended a Schneider's TO. Well, I bought it in Dec and it arrived this January. I didn't need it till spring - probably April. I've already had the lining repaired once and it's split again. It is NOT waterproof as the boys were out in the rain last week and the old guy came in and was wet under the TO and the TO was soaked completely through. My other horse, who wears nothing but Rambo's, was completely dry underneath his 10 yr old Rambo.

It's on my agenda today to call Schneider's to see what they will do about it. I'm probably going to see if I can take the tail flap off another Rambo TO that I have and see if it will fit the old guy as the old guy wears an 81" and all my others are 78". If it doesn't he gets a new Rambo. I know his owner won't spend the $ but he does deserve to be dry.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I swear by Schneiders blankets and sheets. They are very well made, attractive, and cheap. My heavy blanket is 7 years old and it looks news out of the wash.

www.sstack.com

Schneiders blankets seem to be hit or miss. I had bad experiences with them too.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I've been using the Saxon waterproof turnouts for the past 6 years on my 7 horses. I've had one small rip and just have them cleaned professionally. I haven't spent over $60 for a blanket.

Big D. I have some that are 20 years old (100% cotton). Buy a size bigger, they shrink a bit the first time you wash them.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Kudos for Dover - they exchanged the torn Baker without even batting an eye. We will see how long this one lasts. Maresy isn't usually hard on her clothes - unlike the gelding who likes to pull his up over his head like a hoodie.

I am pretty sure this was an authentic Baker. It had the red Baker peel off label on it.

I am looking at the blankets on Bevals - The Gladstone Mid-Weight Turnout. Has anyone looked at these?