The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Diverse breeds in sport

Not wanting to hijack the foals thread, so here goes:
    Let's see how many diverse breeds compete and have competed in high level sport:
    My friend Lois Aller rode her American Saddlebred "Student Prince" in the tryouts for the 1968 Olympics after winning many championships in the midwest.
    Marjorie Haines (Gill) was the first woman to ride in the Olympics. In 1952 she rode "The Flying Dutchman" to seventeenth place in dressage. To the best of my recollection he was also an American Saddlebred.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

What do you consider 'diverse breeds', and how do you define sports? Are you looking for any non-Warmblood that is excelling in any international sport? Do you include Combined Driving in the sport category? Are you only looking at horses that have gone to an international team competition level - for example, WEG, World Cup, Olympics?

Off the top of my head, I can think of more than a few non-Warmbloods who have done well in recent years at the top levels. Dragonfire Kublekahn (Morgan) who went advanced eventing. Several Morgans who were at the top in Combined Driving. Rociero (Andalusian) who was short listed for dressage. Invasor (Andalusian) who competed at the Olympics. Teddy O'Conner (mix) in eventing.

If we move down to FEI level competition in a national format, the list gets much longer. And if we start looking at breeds that are not traditional WBs, but still excel in certain sports (such as the Irish Draught and Irish Sport Horse in jumping and eventing, or the Friesian or Andalusian in dressage, or the Morgan in combined driving, or the Thoroughbred in jumping and eventing, well, the list rapidly expands.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Seldom Seen of course. A Connie Crossbred.

The big white Russian horse at the Olympics... Balugar, he was a coach bred, no? I know he was a police horse! I really loved him.

JB... JB... something was a BLM horse who made it up to very high levels in dressage. I don't remember just how far he went. He obviously was crossbred.

Ta'ez is doing FEI, one of the reasons he got Tk approveal was his scores.

(And man, I hope before I die I will get to say at least one Colonial Spanish, and at least one with ASB/APHA of *mine* get to FEI and at least be competitive!)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

JB Andrew (JB for Jail Bird)! And there was another Mustang that was doing PSG for a while - wish I could remember his name, I saw him at a couple of shows.

If we aren't reaching into the international competitions, I have a whole list of FEI dressage horses, grin... Friesians, Morgans, Friesian crosses, ISH, Andalusians, etc. We are seeing more and more non-Warmbloods in dressage here in California - which is a BIG dressage competition state!
    Director, WTF Registry

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Seldom Seen of course. A Connie Crossbred.

The big white Russian horse at the Olympics... Balugar, he was a coach bred, no? I know he was a police horse! I really loved him.

JB... JB... something was a BLM horse who made it up to very high levels in dressage. I don't remember just how far he went. He obviously was crossbred.

Ta'ez is doing FEI, one of the reasons he got Tk approveal was his scores.

(And man, I hope before I die I will get to say at least one Colonial Spanish, and at least one with ASB/APHA of *mine* get to FEI and at least be competitive!)
    Ta'ez is the current National Champion in Grand Prix Dressage for Arabians, he also won the Musical Freestyle! And he is not only ATA approved, but also Oldenburg NA.

Hilda Gurney competed open and at Arabian Nationals Grand Prix (winning it in 2005 & 2006) on the lovely Arabian/Saddlebred mare, Fancy Trick.

Why, Hideaway's Erin Go Bragh, the amazing connemara of course!

Advanced-level eventing

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

One of the greatest jumping mares of all time--Halla. Sire was a Swedish born American Standardbred and dam was supposed to be a French Trotter.

I don't consider Connemaras or ID or ISH's "diverse" unless they are competing in dressage. They are bred to compete in competitions with jumping. Think of little Stroller at the Mexico City Olympics.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    One of the greatest jumping mares of all time--Halla. Sire was a Swedish born American Standardbred and dam was supposed to be a French Trotter.

I don't consider Connemaras or ID or ISH's "diverse" unless they are competing in dressage. They are bred to compete in competitions with jumping. Think of little Stroller at the Mexico City Olympics.
    I was talking about ISH's in dressage And besides Halla, how about another of those French Trotters - Galoubet!
    Director, WTF Registry

I Believe in Destiny (aka Destiny), a QH mare who competed PSG at Dressage at Devon. Very talented!!

I think that the further you go back in time, the more you will find "diverse" breeds that have made it.

Coming back to today's competition, I think in dressage and jumping you will find mostly European warmbloods.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Buck Davidson took Pajama Games (TB/Morgan) to the Pan Am Games in Eventing.

Katja

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    <SNIP>

I don't consider Connemaras or ID or ISH's "diverse" unless they are competing in dressage. They are bred to compete in competitions with jumping. <SNIP>

http://www.ridingmagazine.com/riding...sickangels.htm

Ok, so now we are diverse? and all these years, I'd thought that we were breeding all-around athletes......
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

A Paint (APHA) broodmare I had (DayDream) was an upper level jumper in the 1980s. I got her as a grand old lady.....she had her last 2 foals here and then retired here until her death.

In this day of "it's gotta be a WB" I think anything other that a WB or TB is probably a "diverse breed" in the hunter/jumper/dressage world. And in dressage the TBs are pretty rare in the upper levels too....even if there are pots of them at the lower levels.