The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MSM and Ulcers

Hi All, Does anyone have any experience with MSM, over a long period of time, aggravating ulcers in horses? Thanks, fg

On the contrary, it is said to alleviate - if not completely clear up - ulcers.

I've read that MSM is pretty effective complimentary treatment for ulcers.

Yes, my ulcer horse is on 10,000 mg of MSM daily.

My horse has been on 10,000mg daily of MSM since July, and developed ulcers this fall after being treated with bute for 3 weeks. I believe, however, that he had ulcers before I bought him in April (based on reports of his behavior with previous owners), and while the MSM was probably helping, I suspect they were restarted or exacerbated by the bute. Fortunately he's better now!

I haven't seen any ulcer symptoms in my horse since I started giving MSM, but in the last 3(?) months that she's been getting it I've purchased two different types of MSM. Both said to give it with or after feeding.

I had two vets - from 2 different clinics - tell me that MSM was fine, but to stay away from Glucosamine products.

My one horse has been on MSM continuously for over 3 years now and no ill-effects noticed so far.

I had two vets - from 2 different clinics - tell me that MSM was fine, but to stay away from Glucosamine products.

Mallard: Did the vets have any opinions on chondroitin? I've worried about glucosamine.

Thanks, everyone! fg

Quote Originally Posted by Tutt View Post

Mallard: Did the vets have any opinions on chondroitin? I've worried about glucosamine.
    No...I didn't ask about the chondrointin.
    My guy is older and a getting a bit stiff and I wanted 'something' to help him out.
    Both vets said to stay clear of Cosequin/CortaFlx, but that MSM was fine.

My horse recently started pooping more formed poop.
    He was mushy for 8 months. Unless on slippery elm which helps ulcers.

But I took him off
    Cytl M
    MSM
    and his soy product diet balancers

and he's had 6 months off due to injury. Which I bet is what healed his tummy!

Maybe the soy and Cytl M didn't help our situation?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I read the results of one study that suspected MSM of contributing to ulcers.
    I can't quite remember where, it was in a horse magazine not too long ago, either The Horse or Equus, I think.

I have never read anything about MSM helping ulcers, but have read about it supposedly helping with most everything else, a miracle substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    Why stay away from Glucosamine?
    Just for horses with ulcers, or for any horses?

It's so hard to keep up with what's 'good' and what's 'bad'!

mallard- i'm wondering about this gluc. thing , too. did the vets say *why* gluc. is not good? sooooooooooooo many horses are on daily supps containing gluc.!

I *THINK* that some glucosamine comes from shark cartilage which has been shown to increase bleeding. So horses that are probe to ulcers are not supposed to take supps that come from that source. But there are other sources that are okay. Depends on the source if IRC.

this is from here

Glucosamine
    Date updated: March 08, 2007
    Natural Standard Research Collaboration
    Synonyms

Allergies
    Since glucosamine can be made from the shells of shrimp, crab, and other shellfish, people with shellfish allergy or iodine hypersensitivity may have an allergic reaction to glucosamine products. A serious hypersensitivity reaction including throat swelling has been reported with glucosamine sulfate. A small pilot study of six patients with known systemic reaction to shellfish, showed no reaction when challenged with glucosamine.
    There are reported cases suggesting a link between glucosamine/chondroitin products and asthma exacerbations.
    Side Effects and Warnings
    In most human studies, glucosamine sulfate at a dose of 500 milligrams three times daily (tablets or capsules) has been well tolerated for 30 to 90 days. In a three-year study and several short-term trials, the number of adverse events in patients taking glucosamine was no different from placebo (sugar pill). There have been reports that in laboratory animals, doses as high as 5000 milligrams per kilogram taken by mouth, 3000 milligrams per kilogram injected into muscle, and 1500 milligrams per kilogram through the veins have not caused death.
    Side effects may include upset stomach, drowsiness, insomnia, headache, skin reactions, sun sensitivity, and nail toughening. There are rare reports of abdominal pain, loss of appetite, vomiting, nausea, flatulence (gas), constipation, heartburn, and diarrhea. Based on several human cases, temporary increases in blood pressure and heart rate, as well as palpitations may occur with glucosamine/chondroitin products. Based on animal research, glucosamine theoretically may increase the risk for eye cataract formation.
    It remains unclear if glucosamine alters blood sugar levels. Several human studies suggest no effects on blood sugar, while other research reports effects on insulin. Preliminary studies show no effect on mean hemoglobin A1c concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.
    In theory glucosamine may increase the risk of bleeding. Caution is advised in patients with bleeding disorders or taking drugs that may increase the risk of bleeding. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.
    In several human cases, abnormal increased amounts of protein were found in the urine of patients receiving glucosamine/chondroitin products. The clinical meaning of this is unclear. Glucosamine is removed from the body mainly in the urine, and elimination of glucosamine from the body is delayed in people with reduced kidney function. Increased blood levels of creatine phosphokinase may occur with glucosamine/chondroitin, which may be due to impurities in some products. This may alter certain laboratory tests measured by healthcare providers.
    Preliminary data suggest that glucosamine may modulate the immune system, although the clinical relevance of this is not clear.

Hopefully my bolds will come thru, This is obviously a human study, and equine are different, but the funding is just not there for the study of equines, I can only assume.

THis is what I was referring to when discussing the equine deaths in eventing- a change in what we are feeding our horses that may be causing the sudden rise in pulmonary hemorrhage.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

I would think if you have healed ulcers [and how do you KNOW?] the Glucosamine would be ok, just not when you have an active bleeding ulcer, based on that above.

Since these are human studies, you have to wonder at what dose/wt these findings were 'found' and how that relates to the doses we give horses?

Default MSM, Chondroitin, Cetyl M & ulcers

None of the above will exacerbate or cause ulcers. In fact they should help them.
    Glucosamine can cause bleeding so if the horse has an active ulcer, so it won't help it. But it won't cause an ulcer in a normal horse.

Treat the ulcer with omeprazole/ranitidine but don't worry about the MSM, Chondriotin, Cetyl M etc. Stop the Glucosamine until the ulcers are no longer active. Usually 14 -20 days on full dose omeprazole.

Use a feed through anti-acid like TractGard once the ulcers are gone to reduce the chances of it's reappearance

Good Luck
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com