The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Share your horse/riding related New Year's resolutions!

As far as I'm concerned, 2008 sucked. Of course, there were some high points, but the year was packed full of loss and upset, both in the horse world and in my personal life. This is one year that I'm glad to put behind me. It also makes me all the more hopeful that 2009 will be great. Keeping in mind that we have to keep it HR, what are some resolutions that you've come up with to make the new year better, for yourself, your horse, your family, etc...?

I'll start. I've been doing some major slacking in the riding department. It seems like Boomer and I worked our rear ends off to get ready for our event in November, and then when we got home, I said "whew! It's over, time to take a break." Well, that was a month and a half ago, and we're still taking a break. I'd like to get back into serious work, and be ready to do another recognized 3 phase in the Spring. What my real goal, though, is to be trained and ready enough to do it safely, calmly, and actually be competitive; not just praying that he'll slow down Maybe we'll be ready to move up to novice by the end of the year, but if not, that's ok. As long as we're moving forward, then moving up doesn't really matter.

Who else?

I agree that 2008 wasnt all that great. I got my great old horse back in the summer only to have him cross the bridge in September.

I have a new FL filly who is coming along well.

So, my goals are to keep her working 4 to 5 days a week and add small trail ides to our sessions and gradually work towards jumping small obsticals. I want to take her XC schooling in the spring...not to actually jump just to play.

My main goal for the immediate future is to work on our cantering transitions, we seem to be having some trouble with that....continue improving on our trailer loading and standing still in the crossties.

Long term would be lateral work and jumping, maybe some lead changes if the canter transitions improve well enough, and longer trail rides. I would like to be able to take her to some shows to chill out and actually put her in a few classes early next winter.

shes coming 4 and is starting to get that 4 year old attitude, so I need to keep her working! At the same time, I am in no hurry to make her a great horse...we have all the time in the world.

Wow....I have a lot of work to do!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

FIND.

A.

NEW.

HORSE!!!!!

My theme song at the moment is "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part"!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

WA...there are some REALLY fine looking Finger Lakes horses looking for loverly homes.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with 2008 being sucky all the way around. However, I resolve to make 2009 the year I actually show my TB. Meaning, I need to get over my anxiety whenever I canter her. I know she's not going to do anything like buck me off but she gets going so fast it unnerves me. That has been the biggest stumbling block for me so far. Everyone else who has ridden her just canters her around no problem but I just freeze up and bring her back to the trot. I wish I could find where I left my nerve because I'd really like to find it again. But, I resolve to canter more, and wimp out less.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    WA...there are some REALLY fine looking Finger Lakes horses looking for loverly homes.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know, I know. I'm still grimly clinging to my dream of a nice ASB. I would LOFF to have my last-ever horse be an ASB.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I am so happy to put 2008 behind me. Our economics changed so the horse activities pretty much came to a screeching halt. The new horse that we had bought DD the end of 2007 just didn't work out. On a positive note DD and I spent alot of time hacking and field galloping all year which was great fun and an excellent confidence builder for her.

So for 2009: I hope DD's new horse is sold quickly - then I'd like to invest in formal training in our young TB she's been riding this past year. He's great and would make her a nice horse - and he was in my backyard the whole time

I hope to get my own TB out to a competition or two.

And even though it's not HR - I hope we are able to sell our house and get our family back together as my husband has been working out of state for almost a year and it's been difficult on everyone. Time to be under one roof again.

Tmn Trails...I have the EXACT same fear you do...which is not helping our current upward transitions improve!!

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Tmn Trails...I have the EXACT same fear you do...which is not helping our current upward transitions improve!!

And the really effed up thing is that I used to event for god's sake! Galloping cross country, jumping large unmoving objects. Wah!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

It didn't start out great but it ended AWESOME! We have had HUGE accomplishments this year with DD overcoming issues associated with Asperger's...thanks to HORSES! Plus we found an incredible Hippotherapy program to part of and I FINALLY got my very first horse, and a new great little dog too.

I met some fabulous folks here on COTH as well!

The only horse related thing I really want to work on is riding more. I set some major goals for myself (becoming NARHA Certified) and I really wasn't ready this year. 2009 will be my year!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

2008 stank in SO many ways in both personal and horse related.

2009 I start a new job on the 12th that will increase my income, and lessen my stress. I am still attending graduate school..

To keep it HR.

Because of my weight gain I felt very uncomfortable at horse shows in my riding clothes. I showed don't think I didn't but I felt icky. So for my horse, and vanity I am working seriously on losing weight with diet and exercise.

Yes, I will also be waving a huge goodbye to 2008 with a big smile on my face. It's been a tough year on many levels.

But my HR resolution is to actively volunteer at a local therapeutic riding facility - for 2 reasons - one I need to give more to others and two - if you give a certain number of hours, you can be chosen to help exercise the horses to give them a change of pace; so, I'll get to ride!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! May it be safe, happy and prosperous for all!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    And the really effed up thing is that I used to event for god's sake! Galloping cross country, jumping large unmoving objects. Wah!
    Oh, me, too! (not the eventing, I just ride hunt seat in an arena). Glad I'm not the only one. I started riding 6 years ago as an adult as a reward to myself for losing about 40#s. Lost some, then gained again, so I'm at the weight I was when I first started riding. I've really noticed a difference in my riding. Part of it is that I'm just out of shape. Except for riding, I haven't been doing anything physical. So I am resolving to lose at least 25#, I've maintained that weight for a while, and not that long ago, would really like to get down to a size 12 which will probably take 40#.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds-n-Greys View Post
    Yes, I will also be waving a huge goodbye to 2008 with a big smile on my face. It's been a tough year on many levels.

But my HR resolution is to actively volunteer at a local therapeutic riding facility - for 2 reasons - one I need to give more to others and two - if you give a certain number of hours, you can be chosen to help exercise the horses to give them a change of pace; so, I'll get to ride!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! May it be safe, happy and prosperous for all!
    Volunteer...you wont be sorry. It will change your life! My DD volunteers nearly 3-5 days a week and I do a couple too...it's incredible!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have a few:

1. Enter and compete in 1-3 unrecognized Starter or BN events.
    2. Transfer my horse to my name and take him to at least 1 breed show.
    3. Take at least 1 lesson/month with my awesome instructor.
    4. Volunteer at one of the horse rescues around here. I have been talking about it for ages, but this year I will actually do it!

Numbers 1 and 2 will be the hardest as I have severe show nerves. I managed to talk myself out of entering any shows last year and my husband and instructor were ready to kill me. I really want to show, I am just SO nervous about riding in front of other people. Which is why I love XC-- at the lowest level (where I am) no one is watching!!

I lost a lot in 2008. Aisha crossed the bridge after being my partner for nearly 20 years. I lost the ability to do anything other than work, would go weeks without going to the barn. The four year old turned into what four year olds turn into when they get to do whatever they want, not her fault but not fun either. My last ditch effort to see if I was missing something in our communication failed miserably, and I decided a horse who makes me cry needs another home. One without an emotional train wreck for a mommy.

So, for 2009: get said mare shipped to a trainer who has a busy barn with lots of working students to fawn over the mare, who really does love people. Mare can either be sold/leased or kept as a lesson horse if she's suitable for that. Which I actually think she may be, she's such a social butterfly.

Start taking lessons again. This will be the first time in 20 years I've been horseless. I have a truck, a trailer, saddles and bridles galore, blankets and sheets and coolers and clippers of all sizes, buckets and wheelbarrows and ... you get the picture. But I'm broken inside, so it's time to try fixing me. For several years it was the retiree and the baby, and no riding. I need to find that joy again.

Not really horse-related, but my only other goal is to be able to do 10 dead pull ups.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    FIND.

A.

NEW.

HORSE!!!!!

Oh but WA.... you do know.... the horse will find YOU.

I'd like Win to stay healthy, (and me too) and get him going W/T under saddle at least. It'd be nice if a decent canter came back, though I suspect that is going to take some work and it may not ever happen.

But no worries, as long as he is healthy and happy, I am happy.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default New Year

My resolutions are:
    1. Get my feeding program simplified so everyone is happy, healthy, and eating pretty much the same thing.
    2. Get my daughter and I both into the show ring at our county fair this year on our own horses.
    3. Get my horsehair bracelet business up and running for "real"
    4. Get all new tack/replace what needs replacing / discard the crap that is not needed / donate the unused but still useable items to another rescue
    5. Ride like I used to when I was not afraid of looking silly/falling off/being too old

What is that expression? Ride like ya stole it? I think I used to ride like that.... LOL
    J

Ride
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I agree, 2008 was bad. Hubby health problems, in-law health problems, I'm glad to see it go. Hopefully 2009 will be better for all of us. I'd like to ride more, win the lottery so I can buy a horse, and just enjoy the new year. No sweating the small stuff.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.