The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Craigslist ad- woman adopting out coggins positive horses

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/968145701.html
    I'm not quite sure what I think about this, other than surely there are better ways to find safer homes for them....
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Wow, those freeze brands are quite dramatic, aren't they?! No one could miss that.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

How else would you expect her to adopt out the horses? The internet is a pretty legit place to start. Not every person on Craigslist is a washed up idiot looking for a quick buck. The ad is well written and gives me a good impression from the start.

I personally feel for her position. I get the impression she is keeping these animals for "someone else" or they were put into her care legally due to the positive coggins. She's probably a saint!

I posted this same ad from the Nashville Craigslist one day... lemme dig up the thread...

Although I feel for her (and the horse's) situation, I wouldnt want those horses 200 yards from mine.

"One–fifth of a teaspoon of blood from a horse with acute EIA contains enough virus to infect 1 million horses." -usda.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
    Although I feel for her (and the horse's) situation, I wouldnt want those horses 200 yards from mine.

"One–fifth of a teaspoon of blood from a horse with acute EIA contains enough virus to infect 1 million horses." -usda.com
    Yes, but they don't have ACUTE EIA. THey would be dead. Acute EIA is comparable to full blown AIDS. These are otherwise healthy animals who happen to be serum positive. Unless your horse is getting a blood transfusion from one of them, they're probably safe.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I wouldn't see anything wrong with someone taking these horses who didn't have any other horses.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Not gonna say I'd be happy if one of my neighbors took in those horses. On a very windy day, biting flies blow a lot farther than 200 yards. And ever get in your car and drive around with a few farm flies stuck in there with you? They eventually get back out when you get out of the car...or you get sick of them hovering in your face and open the windows and swat them out. Also, not everyone's fences are 100% escape proof. It'd be a rare thing indeed to find a new owner to take them on who had a Fort Knox type property that no fly or no horse could ever escape from.
    I feel for the horses and the owner...but that's a killing disease that can spread like crazy in the right circumstances. As sad as it is...if it were me I'd have them euthanized. I wouldn't allow my personal attachment to the horses be a possible disease spreader to someone else's horses...or try to rehome them and think the next person will be as vigilent as I was.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Question Spread by mosquitoes?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Not gonna say I'd be happy if one of my neighbors took in those horses. On a very windy day, biting flies blow a lot farther than 200 yards. And ever get in your car and drive around with a few farm flies stuck in there with you? They eventually get back out when you get out of the car...or you get sick of them hovering in your face and open the windows and swat them out. Also, not everyone's fences are 100% escape proof. It'd be a rare thing indeed to find a new owner to take them on who had a Fort Knox type property that no fly or no horse could ever escape from.
    I feel for the horses and the owner...but that's a killing disease that can spread like crazy in the right circumstances. As sad as it is...if it were me I'd have them euthanized. I wouldn't allow my personal attachment to the horses be a possible disease spreader to someone else's horses...or try to rehome them and think the next person will be as vigilent as I was.
    Is it also spread by flies? I though it was just mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by nature View Post

Probably any blood sucking insect could spread it. Too bad, that bay is some looker.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by nature View Post
    It is spread primarily by flies, not mosquitoes, because it is spread in the blood that is left on the flies' mouthparts when a meal is interrupted. Flies hurt when they bite; mosquitoes don't - so flies are the ones who get brushed off mid-feed and immediately go looking for more food.

The statistic sticks in my head that the odds of a fly biting an inapparent carrier and then biting another horse and transmitting the disease are 1 in 6 million. (I haven't the time right now to look up the citation, but it's Google-able...) If you are really worried about odds like that, when lengthened by the fact that the fly has to travel over 200 yds fast enough for the virus to still be alive, then it's time to start buying lottery tickets.
    Proud member of the EDRF