The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking The worst day at my own barn...

still beats the best day at a boarding barn! My sweet angels tucked into their stalls when its cold and turned out in their safe pastures when the weather is nice.

Just knowing they got fed properly and have good quality hay and clean stalls makes me happy. But top that off with a good ride, and I am ecstatic!

Merry Christmas to me! I had to wait 4 years to get my own place again. Lost one horse along the way and nearly lost a second horse while boarding. Never again.

I'm so glad your dream came true. It is great having them at home.

I hear ya & totally agree!

Here's hoping for mine someday. If only I could afford to buy this little yellow house that is two doors down from the boarding barn, I would be really happy for now. Indoor arena, nice outdoor, good training and still within walking distance of my ponies.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

MAJOR !!!

Why is it that some BO/BM think no boarder could possibly have any knowledge of horses?
    I have fought the uphill battle with one too many jerks, and lost a fine horse due to one Asshat's pigheadedness.

Yes, I know some owners seem to think horses are like golfcarts - when you're done you just turn the key to Off and put them back in the garage.

But - speaking as a longtime boarder - some of us have garnered knowledge along the way - either from reading or practical experience, often from both.

All in all I prefer taking care of my horses at home to begging some KnowItAll to honor and respect the experience I have in caring for them.

It's by no means a Perfect World, but after 5 years of MY WAY, it's perfect enough for me & my horses!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I boarded for about 10yrs, all the while squirrelling away money so that we could eventually own our own place. Finally the day came 10 yrs ago, and we found a small place that we could comfortably afford, a 1800sq. ft house with 11 acres and we couldn't be happier. There was nothing there but the house and the land, no fence, no barn, nothing, so we started from scratch and I am proud of what we have built from the ground up. I can look out my door or window, as my pasture fence goes around three sides of the house, and see horses all the time now. It was worth all of the PB &J's and ramen noodles just to have my girls littlerally within arms reach of the house.

Boarding was ok for me, but the things that were out of my control got to be to many and the situation too stressful, and not having to drive 40 miles, round trip, is awsome.

The boarding barn that I moved from, closed 3 yrs after I left due to mismanagement.
    Last edited by 4whitefeet; Dec. 29, 2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

Default couldn't agree more

RE: The post below sums it up. I have found a better situation, but still long for my own place someday. At least now I am someplace that respects me and doesn't treat me like an idiot. And, my horses have stopped getting hurt and there is hope in sight for lower vet bills!! (would edit below post to add "some owners/trainers".

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    MAJOR !!!

Why is it that some BO/BM think no boarder could possibly have any knowledge of horses?
    I have fought the uphill battle with one too many jerks, and lost a fine horse due to one Asshat's pigheadedness.

Yes, I know some owners seem to think horses are like golfcarts - when you're done you just turn the key to Off and put them back in the garage.

But - speaking as a longtime boarder - some of us have garnered knowledge along the way - either from reading or practical experience, often from both.

All in all I prefer taking care of my horses at home to begging some KnowItAll to honor and respect the experience I have in caring for them.

It's by no means a Perfect World, but after 5 years of MY WAY, it's perfect enough for me & my horses!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

There was actually a moment last week... Below zero standing air, but the clearest, most lovely winter night, with no moon... starshine bright enough you could see without lights (thanks to snow.)

I was lugging water (no runnign h20 at the moment) and feeding at 02:30, and saw fuzzy, contented ears, and just thought, "it's worth every freaking minute of it."

It really is.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Amen, SM, Amen!

It was 50 degrees under a perfect, windless, cloudless sky today, and after we got the barn chores done and going to buy a couple of tons of hay (I love being able to pick the bales that go on the truck!), we went for a two hour ride out our back gate into thousands of acres of rolling hills, stream beds, and grassland. Didn't see another human or hear a man-made sound.

I know there are people out there that have awesome boarding facilities, but honestly, I've never felt anyone cared as much about my horses as we do, and short of a mind reader, they can't give them the care we'd want, minue to minute.

Yep. Give me those ponies at home, please!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
    still beats the best day at a boarding barn! My sweet angels tucked into their stalls when its cold and turned out in their safe pastures when the weather is nice.

Just knowing they got fed properly and have good quality hay and clean stalls makes me happy. But top that off with a good ride, and I am ecstatic!

Merry Christmas to me! I had to wait 4 years to get my own place again. Lost one horse along the way and nearly lost a second horse while boarding. Never again.
    "Riding a horse doesn't make you a Horseman. Many non-horsemen ride, many real horsemen do not ride. To be a Horseman, you must prove yourself of value to the horse."

I don't think i could board again, i boarded for years and like many of the bm's i knew but really, this is much better
    I get home from work at about 1 am, the 1st thing i do before going in the house is check the horses and goats, sometimes in the summer i ride around the pasture or down the powerline, its my dream life and i'm living it

Quote Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post

While I agree with you totally, it's SO difficult to try and plan vacations. But that's the only draw-back I can think of
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Nothing beats that;
    Hay storage full,
    Feed bin full,
    Stalls full,
    All beasts warm/blanketed/fed/watered,
    Aaaaah - there's my hot chocolate in front of the fire feeling !
    (sub Baileys for HC)

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

I hear ya! I've always kept mine at home or traded care of (mostly) absentee owners' horses for a free stall...I always say I'd be some BO's worst nightmare if I had to board--I'd no doubt be kicked out w/in a week. Yup, that Pony Club training from years ago has made me too picky for sure. The biggest downside, though, has to be my OCD about clean stalls--I'm unable to ride unless they're cleaned first! Do any of you all have that problem too?
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

I was "trained" by BHS Nazis - and NOTHING can be done unless the stables are cleaned FIRST !

Equibrit, same here, thanks to the USPC and a mentor whose mantra was, 'the horses eat, then you eat'. I'm on my way out to do night check. It's 0 with a minus 15 degree (F) wind chill and I still love going out to tuck them in. There's nothing quite like stepping out of the barn into a perfectly quiet winter night: snow on the ground, the sky sparkling with stars and the horses snug and settled in.

Of all the years I've owned horses I must've been in (let me count really quick) 14 or 15 different boarding stables. All of them had their pros and cons, but NONE of them was set up or run exactly the way I want--that can only happen at your own place. I love, love, love having my horses at home.
    Click here before you buy.

The last time I boarded was in 1984 and truthfully, I just could never board again. This knowledge really motivates me to keep myself in shape so that I can keep doing the physical labor required to keep them at home - hopefully until I draw my last breath!.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by OkLurchers View Post
    The biggest downside, though, has to be my OCD about clean stalls--I'm unable to ride unless they're cleaned first! Do any of you all have that problem too?
    um...no.....
    But when I was a kid I had a trainer who made us knock the dust off the (metal) currycombs onto the stable floor in 12 perfect imprints - 6 for each side of the horse being groomed - before he'd pass the horse as clean enough to tack up for a ride.

I think of him as I groom in my generally haphazard, JustEnoughToPreventSaddleGalls manner today...
    He'd die or read me out royally if he saw my dustbunny horses now
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Another vote from one who boarded for 14 years...doing it your own way despite the sacrifices, the restricted time, and the unending physical work, it is SO worth it! I have a couple of horses who came from not-so-good situations, and I swear they have their little ways of telling me they appreciate their life now Like the one who licked my hair today, and the other one who hung around for a chat while all the others ran to their alfalfa. I can hear them making their horse noises at night in the paddock next to the house, while I'm tucked in my bed. A dream come true!