The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Years Eve & South Carolina anyone?

I know this is insanely short notice, but giving it a whirl anyway.

So I got great news that my parents are fronting me the money for my transfer to Clemson University -- WOOHOOO! But since they decided to wait til Xmas to give it to me as a present it's left me a week to move out of my place and move down to SC. We are packing the horse trailer with all my junk tomorrow and shortly thereafter I'm throwing some clothes and essentials and driving from freezing Bristol, TN to South Carolina! I'll be living in a motel for a week until I find a place to live but anyway...

Since tomorrow is New Year's Eve (one of my favorite holidays next to the 4th and Halloween) and I'll be all alone for the holiday would any SC COTH'rs care to join me for a night out, dinner and those of us who are still up for it a toast at midnight?? I won't know a soul down there and would love to get a jump on meeting some people, especially horsey ones!

If anyone is up for it let me know! I'm planning on staying somewhere in the Anderson/Clemson area.
    Jdzbabygrl@aol.com
    Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
    ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

Welcome to SC. I wish I could join you, but I live near the coast, about 250 miles from Clemson. The other South Carolina CoTH'ers I can think of right off hand are either coastal or in Aiken - but I hope there's somebody on the board near enough to share a New Year's toast with you.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Chase the trouble. - Buck Brannaman

Big show and party Aiken, but too far to toast and drive. But if you are paying for a hotel anyway, why not come to the show?

I wish I could! But unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to get there until 6-7 pm, and after loading up and driving 5 hours more driving time is what I was kind of trying to avoid. I also have to meet a homeowner in Anderson in the morning to show me a house for rent. BUT I will take the offer up another time there is a big show in Aiken for sure!!!

The locals all stay home trying to keep the fireworks from burning down the farm, but there is always something to do at Clemson so look for a free "city paper" publication and just get out Must be something outside and free and not for couples only?

Welcome to SC from a native Bristolian!

Too bad you didn't pick USC; I'm between Camden and Columbia and have a huge extended family (including some fun young folks) and new people are always welcome at our gatherings.

As EL said, I -- like many others -- will be sticking close to home to make sure there are no firework-related issues. My neighbors are (luckily!) both sensible and courteous, but I feel better being here.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Darn! I'm still adjusting to the south as I'm originally a Yankee (NJ) and not used to such reckloose commotion on holidays. Our idea of a wild time up north was managing to get home through the masses of drunk drivers, and if we made it to the driveway THAT was excitement!

I'm just not a college wild & rowdy partier, I'm laid back, have a good conversation with a lot of laughs in a place where you don't have to scream to hear the person next to you kinda gal. I'm sure there's something....

All your new fellow SC'ians will be home on COTH as we calm horses and dodge missiles. We can all toast at 12' and the Mods will be busy so we can post anything we want as long as we delete it by 1am

CONGRATS!!!!!!!! I'm a clemson alum, and I'd do anything to go back!!!! Go downtown, I'm sure there will be crowds!! where are you moving into??? I have friends in woodlands... Get on facebook and see what you can find, im sure there is a ton going on!!!

and again, congrats!!! GOOO TIGERS!!!!!
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

Default Down in Charleston.

I'm young (23) and in SC, but I'm down in Charleston. I live with my bro and we just moved into a new house so we're having a party at our place. This is actually my first New Year's stateside in about 4 years and I'm "staying home" lol.

I PMed you last time you posted about moving to Clemson.
    For New Years the bf and I have plans for some quiet time together (just us, the dog, a homemade pizza and the box set of The Wire) after spending all last week in MA with my family (it's a wonder he still wants to see me at all), but we should definitely meet up another time. I know a couple of good and cheap places to eat in town.

Message me sometime. I'd love to have a horsey friend in the area.

I don't have any suggestions on what to do tomorrow night other than to just cruise Clemson and see what looks like fun. There are a couple of nicer rest. that should have a calmer evening than the bars.

I wish I was close enough to toast and drive but I think it is too far.

But...CONGRATS!! I hope you love it!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Welcome to South Carolina, I sent you an email, I'm only an hour to an hour and a half north of Clemson/Anderson. I go to Johnson City, TN a lot, once a month or sometimes more (family). If you ever need anything let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Karen