The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

On a similar line of thought, what does it say when I have four horses in my pasture and "my" horse walks right up to me when I go in the pasture with the halter? He'll push through the two horses that are more dominant than him to get to me.

You put on shipping boots and he's dragging you to the trailer.

You can just tell with him that he knows when he's done good.

Guess I'm lucky to have an OTTB that loves to work, be it dressage, jumping, xc (his favorite), trails or... herding the ocassional cow that's gotten loose. He's funny a/b cows too, he has no idea what we're really doing but you can hear him thinking, "I don't know why we're chasing them but since you said to, lets go!".
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Depends on the horse and depends on the job.

My friends QH has been out of work for 6 months now and he could care less as long as he has food to eat. Surprisingly he is a horse that is fairly forward and has a good work ethic.

My TBX would probably be perfectly happy if he never set foot in a ring again to do flatwork or jumping. But if I left him to sit in his field and retire tommorrow?? I would have one nagging horse sitting at the fence nickering every. single. time. I walked out the door or pulled up the driveway.
    He loves trail riding to the point where he has decided to make his own trails in the woods several times and I've just gone along with it to see where he would take us. He also loves to work in fields even if it's dressage work and trailer out to new places to trail ride or jump XC. If the day ever comes that he is bored with foxhunting and following the hounds then something is terribly wrong for sure.
    This winter he had a total of 5 days off and when I got on to ride it was like riding a bouncing ball. He was so happy to be out and about the property that it was a little scary.