The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where are all the "all rounder" horses?

So I was searching on equine.com for a horse.... (no need to PM me, we were just trying to get ideas on horses for the spring).

I was looking for a horse under 15 years old.
    Broke...suitable low level everything (schooling show hunter, dressage, trail riding). Pretty much a glorified schoolie, but doesnt need to be THAT broke.
    14hh - 16.2hh.
    Any breed...yep, any.
    Under 7,000

My search came up with ZERO in our province. Are people really not selling horses anymore, or are these "good all-rounders" just mythical creatures? Is 7k too little for one of these creatures?

I was looking for the same thing, and found it- but it was hard! And he can be a handful, but he can do ANYTHING. Jumping, dressage, trails, you name it. Thank you for reminding me what a gem he is

I don't think 7k is too little, either. Just hold out for the right horse And ours didn't look like all that when we picked him up. Look for the diamond in the rough

eta: I never found much on equine.com- both of my horses were purchased through dreamhorse.com.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    So I was searching on equine.com for a horse.... (no need to PM me, we were just trying to get ideas on horses for the spring).

I was looking for a horse under 15 years old.
    Broke...suitable low level everything (schooling show hunter, dressage, trail riding). Pretty much a glorified schoolie, but doesnt need to be THAT broke.
    14hh - 16.2hh.
    Any breed...yep, any.
    Under 7,000

My search came up with ZERO in our province. Are people really not selling horses anymore, or are these "good all-rounders" just mythical creatures? Is 7k too little for one of these creatures?
    No 7k is not too little at all.

What discipline are you searching? Try doing just one of them at a time...maybe selecting too many is throwing off the search.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Default They're Around

My BO breeds appys and he has several fantastic all around horses for sale. His gf is the best trainer bringing up the babies, I wish she had brought up mine. All have great bloodlines and upcoming talent for showing. All under 6 yrs old, many with color, 14h-15.2h, all under 7k.

The reason why you can't FIND THEM is they only post ads in our local horse mag. I keep offering to help them post on equine.com, horsetopia and even Craigslist, but they never take me up on it.

A young boarder who lost interest in her horse when she discovered boys tried to sell her adorable bald faced paint for almost 2 years. I suggested equine.com and he was sold within the month! Someone from another state took him. I thought that success story would learn 'em, but nope, our pastures are overfull.

PS we're only a few hours from you too

You might consider a Col. Spanish horse aka Spanish Mustang. They are generally priced well under $7000 (sadly) and well broke ones can occasionally be found for $3000 or less. I have mainly prospects just started or greenies right now myself but I know there are some better trained ones out there. They are the quintessential family horse..nice enough to show (sometimes outstanding movement depending on breeding), good jumpers, sane trail horses, good driving horses and their endurance is excellent. Many compete at high levels of endurance. A sounder and tougher breed is hard to find also. Most do run in the 14 to 15 hand range and many are unusual colors like duns, paints or creams, appies and regular colors.

If you want referrals to some folks I know who may have some trained horses for sale, let me know privately. I will send you to reputable people.

I think its more the time of year. The market is slow and if they dont have to sell, I think people are waiting until after the holiday season and maybe closer to a hint of spring being around the corner. Just like you said, you're window shopping looking to spring. I know I'm not paying for a new ad until Feb as I noticed my inquiries fell off once December came around. I want the ad up when people are serious about buying
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have a perfect all 'round horse at home. Because he's such a good boy, easy keeper, take him anywhere, do anything type of horse, I will never sell him! Maybe people are hanging on to these horses, just like me?

I've been offered good money to sell him, but I'd never be able to replace him without starting from scratch again.

Good luck with your search

Saw a post on another forum a day or so a go... gal has been trying to sell her 7 year old 14.3 hh Half Arab mare for about a year now, horse has been shown in hand, broke to ride (has been out on the trails), yet still green, should be a good all rounder... has her listed on several sites... no bites whatsoever She has dropped the price several times (well below the range you mentioned...)... So, they are out there, but you may have to look to "off" breed types...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I have these types for sale nearly all the time, but alas I am in North Carolina, quite a hike from you!! We did sell one to Canada though last year, he was a young horse that had done trail riding, some showing in hunter classes, but was bred to be a reining horse and was sold as a reining prospect. Mostly we offer QH's, appendix QH's, appaloosas, Warmbloods and TB's. Often in that price range, but with shipping to Canada that would tack on at least $1000 I suspect.

I have one and I'd never sell him. Though with this economy I'd think plenty of people would be, and doing so at a really good price. Don't give up!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have one of these guys and yup, I found him on dreamhorse. He didn't come with his current skill set but what he has learned with me is only thanks to his fantastic brain and a very big heart.

Mine's out in the paddock. Not for sale though.

Try looking at morgans too. Jack of all trades. Literally up for anything you want to try. My tack collection is ridiculous for my girl because we trail ride, show hunter pleasure and western pleasure, drive, lesson over fences, and preparing to do some endurance. We also bop around bareback and do some ground work. She loves the variety and is good at everything too.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

1. Broaden your search area. When I was horse-shopping this summer, I was looking at everything within a 12 hour drive.

2. Broaden your price range. Look at horses listed up to $15,000.00. Prices may be negotiable, and you may be willing to up your budget if you find the perfect horse.

If you are not getting a lot of hits on the sale sites using specific search criteria, just start looking through EVERYTHING posted within your area.

Good luck on your search!

I have one who is technically a pony, a 14.1 Haflinger x under $5K who is just a perfect all arounder. I have her listed for sale in the Pony category- I wonder if maybe I should amend the ads to I do not miss the small horse searchers? She is a little tank!

I have two that will never, ever be sold. One is a paint and one is a quarter horse. I paid much more then 7K for the QH as he was winning as a hunter on the AA circuit at the time but picked my 6 year old paint horse up for about 5K (he was 3 at the time) so they are out there.

Have you tried telling your vet what you are on the lookout for? That's how I found my paint horse for such a deal. They see everything in your area and know what's for sale.

I have two...

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    Try looking at morgans too. Jack of all trades. Literally up for anything you want to try. My tack collection is ridiculous for my girl because we trail ride, show hunter pleasure and western pleasure, drive, lesson over fences, and preparing to do some endurance. We also bop around bareback and do some ground work. She loves the variety and is good at everything too.
    ...both Morgans. Ditto everything PalominoMorgan said. I do hunters, jumpers, dressage, hunter pleasure, trail riding, bareback riding, and driving with my mare (12), along with some minimal western pleasure (only because I have to borrow everything to do it!), endurance/long distance drives/rides, and cross-country (both driving and riding).

The gelding (4) has not yet been seriously started over fences, and has only been to two shows, but he also goes both english and western, loves trail rides, has no problem with me hopping on him bareback, and also has some driving training.

Morgans are seriously undervalued horses - you should be able to find what you are looking for in your price range (though likely not from a big show barn). Try to find one that has minimal Saddlebred outcrossings (nothing against Saddlebreds - Morgans with a higher percentage of ASB blood tend to be the ones you see doing the saddle seat stuff).

ETA - because of my horses, just about everyone at my barn has fallen in love with Morgans!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I just sold that exact horse 3 months ago to a woman in our barn. He was 9 years old, 15.2, paint. He started his life western pleasure, then went to hunter/jumper, then eventing. You can do anything with him and he is as broke as the day is long. Super easy, but quite flashy and will win wherever you take him. I sold him for $12,000 and she had to pay trainer commissions. That being said you should be able to find something similar at around $7,000 the one I had was just over the top nice with the best personality that will seriously win whatever you enter.

Default Versatility = Morgan

I echo the other Morgan posts. I have two in my barn and have been a Morgan rider and fan since the early 70s. The traditionally bred Morgan can do anything - with a great attitude. They can pull a sleigh, jump a hunter course, show in the dressage ring and trail ride with the best of them. There still are plenty of farms out there who have not been sucked into the Saddlebred knock-off.

That's right! Don't go for a Saddlebred knock-off, go for the real thing! Have you considered adopting? Saddlebred Rescue has just the type of horses you are describing, all the time. http://www.saddlebredrescue.com/
    They have horses that are going on to be lesson horses (at all levels), trail horses, show horses and several sport type horses. This rescue is great (USEF Heros for Horses award winner). They put all horses through an evaluation program, have a trainer on staff to work with the horses to prepare them for new homes, and will put them through their paces (including jumps and trail riding.) For MUCH less than $7000. They will certainly adopt to Toronto.

The really big question is - HOW WELL do you want the horse to do these things. If you want the horse to ribbon as a hunter, and get in the 60's at dressage, and trail ride on the buckle, be sound, be reasonably good looking, easy to keep, good feet and not have any vices... have some size (over 16h)...

I am not sure you will find that horse for under $7k, no matter what the economy is. See, the thing is, everyone wants that horse. And lots of everyone's have $20k+ to spend when they are looking for the perfect horse.

You will have to compromise somewhere.. my guess would be on jumping style and/or movement.

I have a horse who is all the things you are looking for.. AND he is good looking <LOL> IF he were not a carded small junior he would be in the $20s but since he *is*.. you get the picture. When he was 4 he was still worth more than $7k with 90 days undersaddle.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.