The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Does Your Website?

Just out of curiosity, are there any companies that specialize in websites for our industry? Do you find it is worth it to pay a professional do your website? How much business do you attract from your website?

I do our's using Front Page. The majority of inquires come directly from the web site.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Ladybug Hill. Great to work with -
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

A friend of mine and I were talking about this tonight. She does websites for a few barns in Dallas.
    Its hard because sale barns are monthly changing things and new additions, sales, etc, so its hard to keep up with all the activity, unless its just a basic "here we are, this is what we offer" type site.
    If you sell horses or have a lot of things going on, its a lot easier to do it yourself, IMO. We do ours ourself.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

We have a partner that owns a website development/hosting company, so we've done something similar. They helped get the structure and Barbara maintains all the content. It just came up in conversation, so I was curious. It seems like there would be a lot of updating and I was wondering if anyone had this maintained professionally. Since we maintain our own, I thought it was a great topic.

Default I got lucky~!

I had a young woman call me who wanted a breeding to Bravo and offered to give my web-site a face lift in exchange. I can't believe what a fabulous job she did. She gave it a total face and body lift! I don't think she anticipated that she'd have to teach me how to do my own updates since I maintain my own. But she's worked with me with very good spirits. I have way too many changes happening regularly to have someone else take care of it. When I get new photos, or some other change, I want them up today.

I think the web-site is very important.
    Last edited by misita; Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

As a graphic/web designer, I do my own of course.

I also design/maintain a couple of other sites for horse farms, trainers and breeders. If someone wants to do their own updates, that is fine - I set them up with the program 'Contribute'. Many people just send their changes to me though... It depends on how often your site needs to be worked on, and how comfortable you are with computers.

I think a professional-looking, up-to-date website is super important for any business these days, especially if you are involved with breeding or have any horses for sale. I know when I start looking for anything, that's always the first place I go!
    Last edited by Blacktree; Dec. 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I did my own with this 'easy to work with' site manager. I am sure I would get a more professional look with an expert but I started it as a project and really enjoyed it. And I have to admit I much prefer spend ALL my money (hum) toward my horses. I know, I maybe dead wrong but I think the most important is to have a site that allow you to access to a lot of information on the services that you offer.

As a breeder I like to have pictures of the mares and the foals with much information on them. The more the better but not too crowded in the same page. I am not done yet, I still have a lot of work to do before I can say I am satified but ... it will come.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

I do both of ours and some other horsey ones for friends.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

I did my own. I like being able to modify it at any time. Pretty pictures make up for lack of fancy layouts and web programming...in my opinion.

The price is right too

I do my own because no one could keep it up-dated like I can! Honestly, I think it is very important and has generated a number of clients. It is simple, easy to get around, and has a lot of pictures. www.LockeMeadows.com
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

I do my own, and many more for clients. I really enjoy my work and want to do my best for my clients.

I started long ago into this because of a need for my own site and no funds to hire someone. So, I self taught and took some courses. Years later, I can now professionally cater to others who don't have alot of money for a site. I think there are two types of people in this business; people who love to do it for money, or people who just love to do it. I am the latter

If you hire someone, there are some keys things you have to watch out for so you don't get financially drained. I like being 100% up front to my clients about fees & charges for services. Make SURE you know everything up front! Feel free to PM if you would like more info and good luck wether you delve into this yourself, or hire out.

I do ours. I like having control and getting things done on my schedule rather than some other companies. It also saves a few dollars. There is such good software these days, so its really easy and only takes a few minutes a month.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I hate to sound ignorant, but how does it work to have a designer from out of town? My site was originally done by someone who has left town and I can't reach. I maintain all the pages other than the opening page and "about us" pages...........and get lots of compliments on the content and photos (which I'm pretty decent at)...
    However, my New Years Resolution is to update and change (keeping some of the same look I think) that opening page.
    How about looking at it, and making suggestions as to what I should change. I already know it's not as wide as it should/could be and I want lots more text and photos........it'd be nice to have those specials be able to be boxed and listed on the opening page too.
    Anyone that can be of help PM me please!
    I do get a lot of calls from what I have but know it could be much better!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

We had Rendaivu programed and maintained by www.palidia.com They also do our farm site which is in the process of a face lift. We don't do the upkeep of Rendaivu ourselves as it is obviously a complicated application, not just a website.
    Horse Management Apps for iPhone and Android!
    http://www.rendaivu.com
    Capital Warmbloods
    http://www.capitalwarmbloods.com

Always do it yourself. You just cannot allow someone else to have control over your files and not be able to access and update yourself- you never know when these people who at first seem like professionals will flake out of you! I learned the expensive way....

I do my own too - and agree with the comments made, it is so much easier to update it yourself anytime you get a nice picture or need to update a price! There was a thread on COTH a while ago from a buyer who was irritated at sellers who had nothing current on their website. There are many inexpensive website hosting packages available - software that makes it easy so you don't need to learn HTML, just upload info (pictures, text, documents, etc) into pre-formatted blocks.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

One of the best website designers and graphic artists I know is Laurie Monroe http://www.grafxbylaurie.com/ She does fabulous work and is great to work with. I toss stuff together myself sometimes, but I am nowhere in her league. She is going to be redoing my website soon and making it presentable

I've done sites for people and then shown them how to make changes in the text. I agree, with horses you need to have control of the site yourself so you can update. I debated customizing a CMS (content management system) but decided to use straight HTML so if she needs someone else to work on it down the road it is really straightforward.

A site made from a free template usually shows its origins but is acceptable for a small business - If you want to add a lot of updates, etc. a blog is a good way to keep newsy type information going.

The hard thing is finding the time and energy to keep updating. That is something to think about when embarking - simple is better rather that an elaborate site that hasn't been updated since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by misita View Post
    I had a young woman call me who wanted a breeding to Bravo and offered to give my web-site a face lift in exchange. I can't believe what a fabulous job she did. She gave it a total face and body lift! I don't think she anticipated that she'd have to teach me how to do my own updates since I maintain my own. But she's worked with me with very good spirits. I have way too many changes happening regularly to have someone else take care of it. When I get new photos, or some other change, I want them up today.

I think the web-site is very important.
    Just wanted to compliment you on your updated site...I had noticed...well done!