The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What has been breaking at your place lately due to winter?

My latest was when we got the 18 inch blizzard last week. so the storm was so fierce that it blew open a door and froze the water in the HEATED feed water and tack room. Then the plow truck lost the 4wd, though thankfully I had mostly plowed out my 1/2 mile road first. So then I asked the back up plowguy to come in and push back a pile of snow farther from the front of my barn. I had a plan so that I could plow snow from the front of my barn and so I could then have a clear place to take wheelbarrows of manure w/o struggling to shovel a path. So then the guy came when I was gone and got all ambitious and proceeded to plow out a whole paddock along the long side of my barn...he plowed until he broke off a buried hose and the spigot it was connected to which was all the way back to the opposite end of the 36 foot long barn!!!! Thank god he actually missed plowing over and breaking the well itself.

Then , when I got the plowtruck back, I asked my husband to help hook up the plow because I wanted to widen the road...and somehow now the plow itself seems to have broke and will not hook up...

My trailer fell off the block that it was jacked up on.... into the mud. Apparently the mud was soooo smushy that my poor little stock trailer bumper pull and its block SLIPPED! So now we have to wait for the ground to freeze solid so we can jack it up and hitch her up. Can you say relocate??????

My fence charger died a few weeks ago from a freak 60 degree day and condensation. Yup, she was mounted inside but apparently couldn't handle the moisture.

And winter has just begun!!!!

!!!!BUCKETS!!!!
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

the filter on our hot water tank froze, cracked, then thawed-emptying the whole tank into the barn for my husband to find Christmas Eve morning

Knock on wood!!!!!! But so far nothings broke, nothings froze, and everything starts when I turn the key!!!!!
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

The record cold froze a pipe in the barn, here! I went out to grab something from the barn to discover the new foaling cam, and all the cords, sitting in 4" of water.

I've had two pipes crack in the freezing temps. I should have wrapped them better, but it isn't normally this cold here! I've also had to put buckets in the stalls because when the pipes freeze the automatic waterers don't work and they have no reservoir. Other than that, and the poop freezing in the mudd, I can't complain here in "sunny" California!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Well, DH had to go to town with the pick up and needed to go the day the temp went down to 7 degrees so that day got turned into fussing with the wiring on the truck and buying a new battery. Mostly all my flower pots are shedding parts of themselves, oh yeah, we left a bag of potatoes in the car trunk overnight so they froze, once they thawed out it was kinda yucky, and the Fall decor pumpkins started to rot - they looked real pretty with a layer of snow on them. DH waited till they unfroze from the patio but were still frozen themselves so that worked out well (unlike the potatoes). And the frost free hydrant that started leaking last summer is buried under three bales of straw, we have our fingers crossed it'll hold till next Spring. Apart from that, the worst thing here is the wild temperature swings - two days after it was 7 degrees, it was 57 degrees - WTF is up with that?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

me, most recently. I slipped t'other night on the ice, and went down. I didn't fall ON the knee, however, bent it in a deeeeep (as much bend as humanly possibly) squat before landing on my backside... and literally laid there for 20 minutes or so before I could catch my breath enough from the pain. The bad part was I had not yet BEGUN to water the horses. I wasn't entirely sure I could get to the knee brace or the cane... luckily it was weight bearing and didn't give, just hurt like I didn't know it could still...

Before that, and still, the water. All of it. We had a flash freeze 3 weeks ago now and my pipes froze, then burst. The insulation under the house is all soaked and sagging, (and now frozen again) I haven't had water since. I keep refining the system... but MAN it's going to be a long winter if I don't get water soon.

I've been waiting for a week for the insurance adjuster. I'm not impressed.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Hay

pintopiaffe said: "...me, most recently. I slipped t'other night on the ice, and went down. I didn't fall ON the knee, however, bent it in a deeeeep (as much bend as humanly possibly) squat before landing on my backside... and literally laid there for 20 minutes or so before I could catch my breath enough from the pain. The bad part was I had not yet BEGUN to water the horses. I wasn't entirely sure I could get to the knee brace or the cane... luckily it was weight bearing and didn't give, just hurt like I didn't know it could still..."

Oh my gosh, don't you hate this. I did this on the manure pile in nice weather and laid there thinking who is going to find me and am I going to die on a huge pile of @#*&!

We all need to get those things to click when we've fallen and can't get up.

Are you okay now?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

16 inches of snow here yesterday and -26 this morning.

That Global warming is sure messing things up.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

No snow here yet, but when we had unusually cold weather a few weeks back our center aisle lights circuit kept blowing. I'd walk into the barn, turn them on, go two steps and poof! They'd go out. I was annoyed -- assuming that the tack room and feed room heaters, in combination with the trough heater and the lights was too much. But our barn is only five years old, and I thought we accomodated for those things.

Then one of the aisle lights blows out, and I ask my hubby to replace them (they're spot lights, really), and as I'm holding the ladder I see that he's using 500 watt bulbs! So I sent him to HD to get 200 watt bulbs for all the lights -- problem solved!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

We all need to get those things to click when we've fallen and can't get up.
    Sometimes I contemplate carrying the cell phone for chores. But in the case of that fall--I would've crushed it into a bajillion plastic and electronic bits, and not only been not able to call for help, but been pissed AND out all that money too.

Thanks for asking... the knee is OK. Aches more than it had been. I'm *just* six months from a very, very bad sprain of the medial collateral ligament. I shouldn't expect miracles...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I just watched part of a shed roof peel away.

The chickens are hiding because if they get out in the open the wind catches them and they start skittering across the back yard, looking a bit worried.

Actually, that part is pretty funny. I bet they don't lay any eggs at all today.

Buckets are like going through water here! I'm going crazy! Rubbermate tubs have become my new fave! LOL!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

a few weeks back we had two sections of fence break due to fallen trees. Hubby and I spent a good portion of that Saturday chopping up the trees and repairing the fencing.

Although we have so many trees on this farm that fallen trees are not a rarity. A large pine tree limb hit me in the head yesterday when I was on the quad as it was falling, fortunately it was just the very end of it so it wasn't a hard hit. Still, it was enough to convince me that trail riding in 40mph winds was really NOT a good idea so I bagged my riding plans for the day.

Other than that this winter has been much better in comparison to last winter when my truck was out commission for a good 2-3 months. I'm so thankful I have a working truck this winter( so far) and I get horsey off the property.

Terrible wind gusts in MD today. Broke one of the big sliding end doors on the barn. It's still hanging on the track by one bolt. Hope it doesn't come all the way off tonight. Won't be able to get it fixed until Saturday.

Wish I would have locked it this morning.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

What has been breaking at my place lately due to winter, you ask?
    My patience!!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    Terrible wind gusts in MD today. Broke one of the big sliding end doors on the barn. It's still hanging on the track by one bolt. Hope it doesn't come all the way off tonight. Won't be able to get it fixed until Saturday.

Wish I would have locked it this morning.
    Well, I wish I had my bigs doors wide open all day. Part of my barn roof lifted up from one of the 60mph gusts -- likely damaged in June with the 85 mile gust that took off our cupola and damaged the sky light over our wash bay, and not noticed by us or the contractor that came to fix them. We're sitting here, watching the barn, praying for the wind to die down. Already called our insurance company. Ugh.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    16 inches of snow here yesterday and -26 this morning.

That Global warming is sure messing things up.

Counter-intuitive as it sounds, that could well be the cause. They did say that one of the results of the warming would be more extreme storms and weather pattern shifts - not just a simple increase of a few degrees of daily temps.

Thankfully we have not broken much here on the home farm, but Trainer Lady's place is a different story. The game for the last 2 weeks has been 'Lights, lights, where are the lights?'. I went out one evening last week to ride; we'd had serious rain all day and the potential for ice that night. I get there to find all lessons cancelled and the lights in the arena and aisles flickering. NOT a good time to get on a horse, IMHO. Power company came out and fixed them the next day. Christmas afternoon the power went out to a bigger portion of the property. Friday she got a private electrical contractor to come out and fix it; power restored by Friday evening. Sunday the new main control box started smoking. Bye-bye electricity. The power company was out there this afternoon with 4 trucks. In the meantime she is losing money hand over fist, as all evening lessons have to be rescheduled in the daytime AND only if the sun shines!

Happily, I had the week off from work myself so was not very impacted. But we have one horse boarded there for the single purpose of getting it back into riding shape by using her indoor arena - does me no good if I can't go in the evenings to RIDE the beast. I have a day job plus chores to do at my own place too!
    Incredible Invisible