The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow, great topic.

My 3 year old daughter has a heart defect (hypoplastic left heart, the entire left side of her heart does not function) - she gets winded every now and then - with the right horse/pony, I think recreational riding will be great for her. I don't see her eventing or anything but maybe western pleasure or something might work.

We definately keep her cardiologists (and exercise physiologists) in the loop regarding her activities.

on a side note, I worked two summers at a guest ranch where my boss had narcolepsy (he'd fall asleep with very little warning) - he had a great horse who would feel an episode coming on and knew to slow to a gradual stop and just wait for Terry to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by rooroo8 View Post
    on a side note, I worked two summers at a guest ranch where my boss had narcolepsy (he'd fall asleep with very little warning) - he had a great horse who would feel an episode coming on and knew to slow to a gradual stop and just wait for Terry to wake up.
    OMG what an awesome horse!!

Another heart person checkin' in. Year and a half ago diagnosed with cardiac sarcoid, put in the catagory of "high risk for sudden death", hospitalized for almost a month finally had a pacemaker/defibrillator installed. Still have health issues, always will. I was recently shocked while riding. My doctors encourage me to ride, to do what's normal for me.

And I disagree, not being able to ride is a legitamate concern. It's a huge concern. I honestly wouldn't be able to handle my life if my docs said no riding. But that's just me.
    To ride or not to ride; what a stupid question!