The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmm, well I got a response letting me know I can purchase replacement chest straps from their retailers.

Gee thanks.

I cannot find out if the Weatherbeeta's hold up for my personal horses as I cannot find one that fits. But, I have a boarded horse who has them, and hers are holding up well....but they rub. The taka rubs in the center of the chest, the Orican (I think that is the model) rubs her shoulders.

The Taka is a sheet and we are very disappointed in the lack of waterproofing. The mare has been soaked a couple of times, and shivering when I brought them all in. Perhaps it is a defective one. It was new and not waterproof within a dozen wearings....well, that is how long it took for a cold, rainy day for us to find out.

The fabric does hold up, and does not tear IME, but it is the fit that has not worked for my horses.

So far, we've had no buckles fail.

If they fit my horses I would consider one.

I had a Weatherbeeta for my old horse. It lasted 5-6 Wisconsin seasons with reasonable wear, no buckle damage & the original t-locs. The only thing "wrong" was that the fill compacted after years of washing, so I ended up layering him more. Waterproofing wore out but I'd just buy the cans of spray at Walmart and redo them after each washing. I think I even sprayed brand new ones just for good measure.

He loved that blanket. He thought he was the sexiest thing on 4 legs and would proudly show it off to the other horses. When he died, he was buried in it. Silly old horse
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Maybe its a fit thing. We've been using Weatherbeetas on our horse 24/7 365 well... almost for the past 5 years and have been VERY satisfied. Our horse was injured in a barn fire and is balk over his topline wither to croup from 4" wide to 12" wide. He needs a cover over his topline when out in the sun and protection from rocks, twigs etc.

Granted he's not real tough on a blanket, but we are using the same two blankets we bought him in 2004 daily (switching every once in a while to wash one or the other), and lightweights and Koolcoats.

No serious problems with anything over that time. We've had to replace some stretching elastic and the snap on a leg strap or two, but no serious waterproofing issues, buckle issues, or anything else. No rubbing either. Now the Rambo light weight we tried did cause a bit of rubbing and is currently awaiting some serious reconstruction from a very short trial.