The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Weatherbeeta/ TAKA rant!!!! update rant retracted

Okay, I am fuming. I have had issues with 2 of my Takas and went to the Weatherbeeta website so I could email them. Their website tells me to contact my local stockist before emailing Weatherbeeta directly. I might have missed the email address, but I seached and could not locate it. How the heck can someone email Weatherbeeta if the email address is hidden? Anyway, I don't want to deal with my stockist. This is not an issue they can deal with and I want to deal directly with the company.

So the issues i am dealing with are the following:

These are not huge problems, but I want to see what Weatherbeeta has to say. I am not expecting to get anything, but I believe my problems should be brought to their attention.

I bought one of these blankets on special order because of the size (87) and it is not returnable.

I bought the second blanket in the Dover bargain basement, therefore it is mine & non-returnable, but it was still expensive ($150).

So far, on both the lightweight and the midweight, the rubber t-lok thingies on the surcingles have cracked in half and fallen off. Not a huge deal, but still, these are pricey blankets and this should not be happening.

The neck on the regular neck blanket and on the high neck blanket roll inward.

My mare is turned out alone, but somehow one of the reflective stripes on one of the blankets has worn off.

The lining in the midweight already has pulls and tears.

Both blankets already have pulls on the outer shell.

Even though the blankets are not at the largest fit, there is a 1+ inch opening at the chest. How is my horse supposed to stay dry in the rain when the neck opening curls in and she has a gap at the chest closure.

Sadly, these blankets have only been in use for 2-2.5 months and they are beat up more then my ancient blankets. I only hope they last until spring!!!! Am I being unrealistic?

Needless to say, Roo's heavyweight just arrived and it is a giant purple Rambo Wug!!!

Maybe I am expecting too much, but I feel I should be able to contact Weatherbeeta without using a third party. Have any of you had dealings with Weatherbeeta? Good? Bad? I know if I ran a company, I would want to know if people were having issues with my products.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling rant!!!

******Weatherbeeta has been FANTASTIC to deal with. They sent me a new mid-weight to replace my mid-weight from he##. My local tack shop is returning my TAKA T/O sheet to Weatherbeeta and giving me a store credit. The Weatherbeeta reps were extremely prompy and friendly. Very easy to deal with!!!!!
    Last edited by Invite; Jan. 14, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Update

re: the rubber thingies on the T-locks. Those are simply pig castrating rubber rings and you should be able to buy a bagful from a livestock supply catalog or a nearby farm store. The more frequently you take the blanket on and off, the more quickly they will break. I usually go through 4 each winter and my horse wears his blanket 24/7 and it only comes off about 1x a week. (Schneiders has in the past, mailed me a 8 - 10 in an envelope at no cost. I buy a blanket every 3 or 4 years from them.)

Pulls... are the blankets being put on and off daily? Are there rough wood surfaces where the blankets are hung up? If the blankets are worn 24/7, is the horse rubbing against trees, gates, or posts? Can your horse or another horse reach the blanket if it's hanging up on a door? Perhaps that's how the reflective strip came off? Was it glued on or sewn? Sounds bizarre to have it fall off.

Are you doing the blanketing or is barn staff? Perhaps staff is not opening doors / gates wide enough for your horse to go through and the blanket is getting caught on something there?

Did you save the package insert with the warranty info? Is the email address there?

Your stockist should have a contact name and/or catalog source that they can contact on your behalf. I understand that you don't feel the stockist is responsible, but they can be helpful and your calm input could very well be helpful to the manufacturer.

It's okay to rant. If it helps.

Default Thank you

Thanks for responding to my rant

I do all the blanketing/unblanketing and horsey handling, so nothing is a case of improper care. I don't really care about the rubber things, it was just that one final thing that had me fuming. I should have described the worn of reflective strip more clearly. The reflective "stuff" is no longer on the piping, but the piping is still intact...just a little ragged.

I was just so aggrivated when I came in from the barn that I had to vent. It gets frustrating when you think you buy the best you can afford for your horse and it looks ancient and beat up in no time.

I will look for my packaging from the blankets for contact. That was a very helpful suggestion, albeit an obvious place to look. I feel quite foolish. I should have thought of that. My mind is working a little slowly.
    If nothing else, maybe some fellow COTHers will either save some money or at the very least, think a bit before buying a TAKA.

I'm surprised, Weatherbeeta usually holds up fairly well. I would contact the retailer you bought the blankets from, see if they can help you.

I kind of hate my Taka sheets, too. The "metal" parts break regularly. They were so flimsy that most of them have been replaced by now. I find that they do gap at the chest, but other that that I haven't had any trouble with the fabric portions beyond what I would consider normal wear and tear.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

we have many TAKA blankets and have found they they stand up as well as any when horses are turned out in herd. I literally watched my daughters horse tear off strips off my mare's Rambo blanket and drop them out of his mouth on to the snow. when I plowed today there were pieces of material all over the paddock....I guess that's life with geldings and a mare in heat! GRRR!Town tramp, doesn't take 'no' for an answer..
    www.gifthorsetack.com gets amazing blankets and very reasonable cost!

Go to the New Zealand webpage and email their office with a request to either forward to US office or get them to give you there US office email.

That's what I did once and I got a reply within 3 days from the New Zealand office.

Default not a taka user here but a weatherbeeta user.

i found their customer service department to be very helpful. a buckle broke on my sheet when i first got it (4 years ago and i still have the sheet and love it!) and they promptly got me a new buckle. i remember back then i heard that they had a problem with a batch of defective "hardware." maybe that's what you've experienced?
    i would definitely contact your tack shop and ask for a customer service number for weatherbeeta. i'm sure they have it.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

e-mail- sales@wetherbeetausa.com

phone # 1-877-927-4337
    This number will take you to the retail sales department. Talk to them. This is from our Master Retail Catalog. They are awesome.
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Thumbs up

Thank you guys sooooo much. I have many Weatherbeeta products and have NEVER had the issues I have had with these 2 TAKA blankets. I have been beyond disappointed, as my other Weatherbeeta stuff has lasted well beyond what I expected it to have for a life span. I will definitely contact them. My Orican and Landa products have been tough as nails!!!

sorry you're hating your takas. I love mine and haven't had any problems.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

http://www.weatherbeeta.com/AUST/About/about.asp

Weatherbeeta Contact Details

If you are concerned there may be an issue with your rug, before contacting us – check out our FAQ which is likely to answer your question.
    UK

For more details on Weatherbeeta please consult your local stockist.

Weatherbeeta PTY Ltd
    P O Box 368
    8 Moncrief Rd
    Nunawading Victoria Australia 1313

email: sales@weatherbeeta.com.au

I think mine must have been from the defective hardware batch.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Talking

BUMP

I wasn't sure how to get my former rant to the top of the list, but I wanted people to know how great Weatherbeeta was to deal with

Cloudy and Callie had both the lightweight and midweight takas and neck rugs and never had a problem with tears or breakage. And Clloudy was out with a herd of horses in woods and briers.

That teflon coating lasts forever. Callie's lightweight is now on my friend's horse in Alabama, and Cloudy's lightweight is on a horse at Bluebonnet Rescue in Texas (I hope).

The new highneck one does kinda ride down on the shoulders though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy825 View Post
    I think mine must have been from the defective hardware batch.
    I have some broken hardware too, I just sent an email asking how to replace, hopefully I will hear back this time.

Thumbs down "Taka" is branding language for "crap"

The Taka blankets I've had are the worst-made things under the sun, and everyone I know seems to share those feelings. In fact, the positive posts on this thread are the very first NICE things I've ever heard about these blankets.

The hardware all fails in its own special ways. The buckles crack and fall off, while the snaps lose their springy-ness and have to be closed by hand, which involves taking off gloves, sometimes finding a twig or nail to manipulate them... ugh. Within the space of two years (ie, two blanketing seasons) I had replaced EVERY SINGLE buckle. I haven't replaced the snaps b/c they are still technically usable, just a pain in the rear. Outside of the Takas, the only problem I've ever had with hardware on a blanket was one (one!) bent buckle - which is to say, this stuff isn't breaking b/c my horse is hard on it.

Given the same treatment in terms of washing and waterproofing as my more expensive Rambo and my FAR less expensive Dover-brand "Riders International" blankets, it's the least waterproof of the bunch and soaks through the quickest.

I use the Takas as backup now b/c the problems are so annoying. I would never recommend buying one of these to a friend.

Now ... whew ... there's MY rant.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

All mine are Weatherbeetas, the Landas, and I think one TAKA and I love all of them! I had some extras and just sold two of them to a friend and she loves them.

I have had good luck with them, no problems at all.

I have three takas, 3 oricans, and 4 landas for my two guys. I have had some of these for aover 6 yrs and have not had any big issues with them. My older guy has broken leg straps, etc and a small tear here and there but my blanket person has always repaired them for me. The only thing I am not crazy about is on some of my blankets the chest has velcro that does not seem to stay closed. My 31yr old got a new Taka with hood this year and so far so good.

Most of mine are Weatherbeetas, though I think they're all Orican and not Takas. No Landas either, I don't think. I haven't had any problems at all, and some of the blankets are on their 4th and 5th season of use. Never replaced a buckle or so much as a leg strap. And here in the north, they get used a LOT. I have always loved Weatherbeetas.

I just ordered a Weatherbeeta Jasper stable blanket yesterday and that will be my first experience with a stable blanket from them. If I have any troubles, I'll report, but I don't expect any. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself! LOL