The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to wear?

Hi, I am planning on going to my first cic this march and I am a little confused on what the dressage attire is. It looks like half of the people are wearing shadbellys and top hats, but the others are just wearing regular show coats. I thought you had to wear a shadbelly so I went ahead and bought one, but if you do not I think I would rather save the money. Thanks!

if i'm not mistaken, either a shadbelly or a regular coat is fine for a CIC but a shadbelly for a CCI. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am though

If we're talking 1 star, your regular coat is fine, whether it is a CIC or a CCI (some will say that a shadbelly at the 1 star level is silly/inappropriate).

Its either or for the CIC... though a shadbelly is discouraged at that level.... but heck I wore mine anyway

ETA: nevermind, I will just post this and not my cranky,snarky,bitchy rant. Sorry if any of you got stuck reading it. The rule book can state an opinion without my help. Sorry, there is a difference between firm and harsh. One day I will learn it.

Directly from the FEI Rule Book. Updated Dec 16 2008, so very current.It is art. 521 if you want to go look. Use the rule book, it is your bible. It is the book you need to live by. One day it will save your butt.
    5. Dressage Test
    5.1. Civilian – compulsory except as indicated in 5.2 & 5.3 below: hunting dress or
    uniform of a riding club, white shirt and tie, gloves, white, fawn or cream breeches, boots,
    hunting cap, protective headgear or top hat, and spurs (in accordance with Para. 3 above)
    5.2. At CICs 2/1* athletes, if they wish, may wear a tweed jacket with fawn or beige
    breeches and black or brown boots.
    5.3. At CCI/CIC1* the wearing of a top hat and tailcoat is not encouraged.
    5.4. Members of armed and police forces, members and employees of military
    establishments and national studs - compulsory: service dress and gloves, regulation
    headgear and spurs (in accordance with Para. 3 above).

Default what about 2*

Just like the above author says, no shadbelly is necessary at the 1star level, CCI or CIC. Although you will see a good many people wearing them, often times they will be professionals. My friend told be that she had to have one for the NAYRC 1* and since she already has one, she generally has ridden in it at subsequent 1*.
    However, does anyone know when the appropriate time to start wearing a shadbelly is? it does not specifically state it in the rulebook, at least not where i could find it. I will hopefully be doing my first 2* next fall (I'm moving up to intermediate in feb, but im going to do 2 more 1*), do i need one then? they are very expensive.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Honestly, for ANY of the, I think your regular coat is sufficient. I don't have the book in front of me, but based on what pass posted, it doesn't say you CAN'T wear your regular coat. I think the higher you go the more you'll find shadbellys. I wore one at the CCI*... figured I could borrow one and it was the highest I'd go so what the heck!

As for rules like "5.3. At CCI/CIC1* the wearing of a top hat and tailcoat is not encouraged."... can I just say that I ABHORE rules like this. What IS the point? It's a NON-rule. doesn't say you can't... simply suggests that you don't. Shouldn't crap like that (and the one time US non-rule about women in white breeches or something) be regulated to a magazine article or something? keep ENFORCEABLE, ACTUAL rules in the rulebook! (might have helped those printing costs they were complaining about)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

If you read 5.1, it implies that you need never wear a shadbelly and, of course, a top hat is never required if you prefer protective headgear. At the CIC** you don't even have to wear a black jacket (tweed is still allowed). If you really want to wear a shadbelly, you can probably borrow one.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

However it is true that you need one for the NAYRC? my friend told me that it was, but she is not always the most reliable as far as rules like that go, but she was one the team last year... and i am hoping to try to the 2* team not this summer but the next, so i will be running both CICs and CCIs.. and if im going to have to buy one , i would like to go ahead and have it, as long is its not considered faux paus at the 2* level...

mkmallory where are you moving up at in feb? im looking to do the same sometime this spring before the virginia 3 day. I was thinking pine top but wasnt too sure... that rule makes it seem like above the 2* your supposed to wear one, but technically you do not have to. I found a really cheap one at smartpak so i think i am going to wear one anyways, I don't think ill be the only one in one!

at ** (CIC and CCI) almost all people I've seen have been wearing shadbellies. At NAYRC certainly in both the * and the ** the year I went no one wore a regular coat. At intermediate HTs, on the other hand, while one CAN, it's pretty discouraged to wear a shadbelly (except for events like Groton House where they state in the omnibus that they want OI riders to wear one).

traditionally, the rule of thumb is at the cic/cci* level a tophat/ tails aren't mandatory, also not for intermediate horse trials. most tend to wear these at the ** level and above... NAYRC on the other hand- everyone wears tails in the * and the **.
    I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay. -Dave Matthews Band

i have seen people at the CIC*** wear regular coats, so no worries there, but do not wear a shadbelly at Intermediate horse trials, i know from personal experence, i got yelled at for wearing it from the judge...hey i just got it and i was so exited to wear it..oh well, still didn't figure out that the top hat was too big till NAYRC, when it about fell off...

ok thanks everybody.. this all seems to be along the lines of what i was thinking.. most of the riders i have seen at the 2* have had shadbellies, but i would not wear one for an just plain intermediate in any case. im planning on moving up at the february poplar, and doing the jan poplar at prelim as a start up, but the closing date is tommorow for the jan poplar and so far there are only 25 entries!! so i am looking around for somewhere to run my warm up show just in case they cancel.

If you decide to go for the lower price for the less fancy, the one from SmartPak is about $200 and VTO has one for $300. You might want to go fancy and get Pikeur. If so, the best prices are here http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/...age_Coats.html
    They are slow to ship, but stuff has always arrived eventually in my experience. Also, if you have any fit issues http://www.classicsaddlery.com/coats/coatsdressage.htm (scroll to bottom) does a great custom shadbelly for $300-400 depending on features and a plain, but nice one for under $200 that I think is the absolute best deal going

S - is that Amira place for real? Phenomenal prices on NEW boots. The Tru-ster needs a new set of front ones with fleece for XC and I was gulping a bit at $160. At 50$ it's a super bargain, if that's legitimate.

GS - I have purchased personally from Amira multiple pairs of pikeur breeches (for other people, my hips look like hell in pikeurs); a dressage coat (the one I still have); and a pair of people boots from them. Other people in my barn have bought jackets, breeches and top hats. While the delivery is very slow, I have never had an issue with getting exactly what I ordered at a ridiculously good price. If you know anyone in the UK, having Amira ship to them and then having that person post to you can save a bunch of time and get the same results, although you have to pay the VAT if you do that

How slow are we talking on the delivery? 8 weeks? Longer?

about 8 weeks if I remember correctly

to add my $.02, at Morven Park CCI* (long format, yahoo!) about half wore tophat and tails, about half didn't, and it was a mix of pros and ammies in both. I like the formality--the CCI is a big deal, so why not look the part if you can swing it?