The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile good place to have a farm in the southeast

My husband has been offered a new job and he will now be traveling. I am looking to relocate our farm to a place that is close (couple hour drive)to some Hunter and dressage shows. Schooling and rated.
    I show our babies in hand and dresage and my daughter shows H/J.
    I also start young horses so it would be nice to be close enought to an area where there is a need for that as well.
    I have started to look at area's but have no idea where to start.
    Can anyone recommed some area's that are known or are close to "sport horsey"areas.
    It can be in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tenneesse. I have even looked a little in Kentucky.
    Any help on what area's would be a good place to check out.
    It will be heard to find one that is as accomodating as Ocala,Fl.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Allie
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Aiken, SC
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

The Tryon area of NC. You have F.E.N.C.E. for both rated and schooling shows for dressage, eventers, jumpers and hunters as well as steeplechase. A permanent cross country course, miles and miles of trails. Located off I-26, you can access Atlanta and Raleigh in 4 hours or less. Southern Pines and Aiken as well are reasonable driving distance. Charlotte has rated shows of all kinds and is less than 2 hours away. You could show every weekend if you really wanted to.

For your husband's travel, the Asheville and Greenville(SC) airports are 40 minutes and right off the interstate. Charlotte airport is 90 minutes for International. Although the distances sound big, they are all interstate and very easy. Fuel is some of the cheapest in the USA.
    Low cost of living and great climate with all four seasons.

I breed Hanoverians and Oldenburgs here and found it to be nearly ideal. There are very good instructors and farms. There are always people looking for someone to start their youngsters.

Good Luck!

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

thank so much for the replies already. We just got back from NC for vaction and loved it there. I will have to check out that area.
    I have a friend that moved to Aiken, so that could be a bonus too.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Aiken, SC

I have wanted to move there for ever.

Do you have certain weather requirements? TN can be very nasty in the Winter, making Winter outdoor work/riding very difficult. The Piedmont of NC, where I am is very rideable for the vast majority of the year outside if you have a riding ring. The further South and East you get, obviously, the more mild the Winters, but also the more humid and hot and longer the Summers.

Smile

I would like to get to ride in the winters, but am not apposed to building an indoor(ok I mean my hubby build an indoor since he is the contractor)LOL.
    I would like to have a varation of weather. But would prefer it not be extreme.
    I am so excited to get this opportunity to move, as I was born and raised in florida.
    I am hopping to get to see some farms in the next couple of weeks.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I vote for NE Tennessee. We lived there many years and own a retirement/winter farm there now. The weather is rarely nasty - you get 4 nice seasons, but few extremes - no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no blizzards, etc. The cost of living is reasonable, and no state income tax. Close to VA and plenty of shows. Good luck!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Southern Pines.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Central NC is nice....we have a wide range of good farriers, vets, NC State, lots of training opportunites.

I live in Wake Co. (Raleigh....it's a very nice, midsized city.)

The biggest drawback to living here is the months of July and August....we usually have heat indexes about 100, it's soaking humidity, very bugging, lots of slithering creatures (although I see more of them in May/June)

But, if you are coming from Ocala, the humidity might not bother you.

Our winters, IF we have a winter, are usually mild.....the city does close down for snow. as we never see it. Right now it's 72 degrees outside and it's December 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    I would like to get to ride in the winters, but am not apposed to building an indoor(ok I mean my hubby build an indoor since he is the contractor)LOL.
    Honestly, there are very few days here in the Piedmont where I just don't want to ride outside in the Winter. I do have a ring, which greatly increases my Winter riding time over just having a pasture. So really, unless you're seriously training and can't afford to potentially have a few days in a row off, it's not really necessary to have an indoor, as long as your ring is graded and footed properly

I would like to have a varation of weather. But would prefer it not be extreme.
    I am so excited to get this opportunity to move, as I was born and raised in florida.
    I am hopping to get to see some farms in the next couple of weeks.
    Exciting! I've ridden in NC all my life, and having thankfully boarded at a barn for years and years with 3 all-weather rings, the only things keeping me from riding are the infrequent bitter cold, or just nasty hot (but not any worse than FL-hot!). Just a little further West than me, the Winter temps can get more extreme for longer. Further East they are tempered a bit without much increase in heat until you get within a couple hours of the Coast, but again, nothing any worse than in FL. I find the North-middle section a nice mix - definitely 4 seasons, not a lot of snow or ice these years, not gawd-awful hot for terribly long in the Summer.

If you want to take a look at what my area looks like, send me a PM

You have the benefit of not needing to be close to a metro area, and around me that means you can find pretty cheap, nice property, especially if you want to build from scratch. I just saw 50 acres, 2 houses (no idea what they were like, I'd assume small, starter-type), large barn, at least 1 ring, an indoor, lots of fencing, for $500k-ish. You cannot get that and be "in" a city.

another vote for tryon/southern pines, unsurpassable horsey area
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Ha! I love this question-- we are in the same boat! I was pondering northern Georgia , maybe an hour from Atlanta.. there seems to be a good sport horse scene in Georgia? Land is cheap too.. my favorite. I have heard however that hay was skyrocketing last year... have you checked this out? Anybody have feedback? Anything better than Wisconsin. It was 35- wind chill last week...

sorry.. I just read Dalpal's post on slithering creatures.... as in how bad?

Smile

My hubbys job will be base outta N georgia. We have looked there. Most places I have loked are very reasonably prices.
    Jb sent you a Pm
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    My hubby left to go to georgia today and all the "shopping" will keep me busy.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    sorry.. I just read Dalpal's post on slithering creatures.... as in how bad?
    ROLF.....I've only seen the "good guys" this year at the new boarding farm. I think I saw six sightings last year...but heck, could have been the same snake.

The first sighting nearly gave me a heartattack, standing in the barn aisle talking to husband on the phone...look out one of the side doors and saw the neck and head in the air. I just about had a heart attack...my friend, who isn't affected by snakes...made me walk over to see it with her....okay, he was actually kind of cute....sitting there looking at us and slowly backing away. He didn't bother me after that because I knew he was more afraid of me.

My dalmatian plopped his big nose in the grass last summer and I saw the neck and head rise up....poor snake...he looked at me like.."Lady, could you please get this #$#$%% dog off of me"...he just slithered away.

Then this fall, I had the dogs down at the creek (it was 50 degrees) and I heard PLOP in the water...look over and there was one swimming away. We left.

But all were black snakes....I am sure there are some copperheads on the property, but I haven't seen any.

Last barn I was at...I think we saw three that entire season.

Snakes used to scare the bejesus out of me....I still don't like running into them, but I am more desensitized now than what I was a year ago.

I love Southern Pines and have friends there BUT I wouldn't move from Ocala to Southern Pines to start over (not much point as it is already an established horsey area). Also doesn't NC have all the state taxes like GA does?? I personally love the no tax stuff in FL (just federal)! There are going to be plusses and minusses to any place you look at of course.

I'm on the FL/AL border but live in FL. I'm about 4 hours from Atlanta, Jax (3 hrs), Ocala, Pensacola (3 hours) etc so within driving distance to any type of show that I want. There is a local barn that is starting to have rated dressage shows (3 this year) so that makes it even better. She also has monthly schooling shows. Tallahassee (h/j shows) is only 1 1/2 hrs away tops...

Airports - close to Panama City (also the beach! ), Tally, Dothan...

The down side? There aren't a lot of trainers that live here in the area (which could be a bonus for you) and while we have ok vets we don't have the luxury of the vet services (or farrier services) that you have in places like Ocala or Southern Pines... BUT on a plus side I'm 20 mins from Jeffers.. LOL
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Another vote for Aiken!!

Tryon is nice but not as much variety as Aiken has.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm located in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. We have a great number of eventing venues, as well as a big hunter/jumper and dressage market in the Atlanta area.

The Athens area is growing rapidly, is close to UGA, only 45-50 min to Conyers (GA horse Park) and Atlanta is within an hour.

Columbus is booming and close eventing venues include Poplar Place, Flat Creek & Big Bear. All three venues hold schooling shows for eventing,dressage and sometime hunters. Poplar is a big time recognized eventing venue.

Chatt Hills has just been built by Carl Bouckhaert and is SouthWest of Atlanta, in Fulton County.

I'm very close to Newnan (Coweta County)-school systems are super, and land is slightly cheaper than the metro-area and Fayette County.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Middle Tennessee (Nashville area) has a great horse community and a continuously growing "sport horse" community.

We host several A-rated H/J shows at Brownland each year. There are also a few USDF rated Dressage shows, including the Ole South Classic which has DSHB classes. We're also a "reasonable" drive to many, many other shows in KY, GA, NC, etc.

The Tennessee Equine Hospital just south of Nashville just opened a new repro facility in 2008. So far I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.

I think our climate is ideal for horses with 4 seasons, but a mild winter. We usually get little to no snow accumulation. The weather is fine to ride outside year round.

Feel free to PM me for more info. I could ramble on all day!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO