The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse is orange!!

So in the aftermath of the past week and a half of rain we've been getting, my formerly white gelding decided a nice roll in some Georgia red clay (or mud, rather) was in order. This is the result:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1125720084

Some lesson parents actually asked what his coloring was called I was tempted to respond with something cheeky but held my tongue

Anyone else have funny stories about and/or documentation of their beasts and their interaction with mud?

Oh my...

We have that oh-so-lovely red clay here in VA too... and I also have a grey gelding. Why is it that greys must cover themselves in the stuff? Mine has never been stained THAT badly though

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...rch20072-1.jpg

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...MiloDirty2.jpg

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...an07milo11.jpg
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Quote Originally Posted by worth_the_wait08 View Post
    So in the aftermath of the past week and a half of rain we've been getting, my formerly white gelding decided a nice roll in some Georgia red clay (or mud, rather) was in order. This is the result:

Some lesson parents actually asked what his coloring was called I was tempted to respond with something cheeky but held my tongue

Anyone else have funny stories about and/or documentation of their beasts and their interaction with mud?
    Oh my goodness! I have no experience whatsoever with clay of that sort, but how long will it take to come off? Can you brush it off or does it have to be shampooed off? He is kind of a cool color though
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Strange question, but do you board him at Classic Colors?

WorththeWait...first I need to say that I am NOT a morning person...I wake up achey and ouchy and grumpy as hell every single day of the year. I have my cup of joe and skim through the internet for 30 minutes before doing barn chores to fully wake up and am always doing that with a grouchy expression on my face due to being awake too early.
    But I have to say when I opened your photo of your orange-clay horse I burst into actual laughter and am now grinning like a fool. That ain't easy to do considering my level of bad mood in the mornings...but that photo is freaking hilarious!!!! I did NOT expect him to be that orange! He looks just like the horse of a different color from the Wizard Of Oz!
    Thanks for doing the impossible...making me smile in the morning.

(Sorry my good mood is at the expense of your grooming nightmare )
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

He really is ORANGE! I think he looks kind of neat, actually. I'd almost prefer orange to the regular old mud we have.

If he stands out in the rain, does it wash off?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I never saw such an orange horse, really different.
    Are you going to breed more like him?
    I am sure that there will be many people wanting a foal of such awesome color.
    Very pretty it is.
    Reminds me of those people that give a sponge finish to their walls.

That is so hilarious! He looks like a Dreamcicle!! Complete with some of the yummy vanilla showing here and there, LOL!!!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    He really is ORANGE! I think he looks kind of neat, actually. I'd almost prefer orange to the regular old mud we have.

If he stands out in the rain, does it wash off?
    and to answer this one for you, from also living where there is endless red clay (thank God all the horses now are bays or blacks) it wont brush off, and doesn't easily wash off, especially the tail and mane.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Yup, red clay stains. We have pockets of it here and there in CT and last place I boarded had red clay. My mare had pink stockings almost year round. It stains and then eventually new white hair grows back in to replace the pinkish orange hair. (or you can Quik Silver them constantly)
    After we brought the horses home (no red clay here) her stockings were white again in about 6-8 weeks.
    However...I have never seen that shade of orange! His coloring and that clay produced one hilarious bright shade! (he *does* look like a dreamsicle LOL!) WorthTheWait...are you going to scrub/fade it out or let it grow out? That looks like one monster job of de-staining!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh my, how funny!! Sorry. This was my first thought in seeing his orange self.

Oompa-Loompa-Doompa-Dee-Do
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Default Horse of a different color

Wow! Just like in the Wizard of Oz!

At my barn, the horses with the most white are ALWAYS the ones who find the mud. For example:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...03608839lekSQT

When I first moved to GA, the horses actually came to the farm before I did. And when I pulled up, I saw that the Angel was in fact that color orange. You know, I thought someone had played a joke on me and colored her with food coloring. I truly did. I have seen it done with chiks and bunny's at easter time and this is what I thought had been done. What gross stuff to wash off LOL.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by worth_the_wait08 View Post

Some lesson parents actually asked what his coloring was
    Here ya go. http://www.rangebuzz.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/creamsicle.jpg
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Hey he is ALL READY for hunting season!!!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

you could always send him to knoxville, shave a power T into his flank, and sell him as the new UT mascot!
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Learn to Fly: That is funny! Being from East Tn originally I had to laugh at that.

Orvus will get that out. I have a pinto mini, with 4 white legs all the way up, lots of yuck, I now have a super light palomino, who's about that color right now.

If it was halloween you wouldn't have to dress her up to be a pumpkin, LOL

Karen

Learn To Fly- I was thinking the same thing...but for Clemson. Just switch the giant T for a paw and you'd be golden.

What do you think GM would think of that at the clinic in Clemson this weekend?? All the people who go there (like me!!) would LOVE it
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by TransitionsGalore View Post
    Strange question, but do you board him at Classic Colors?
    Technically no, I've trained with Courtney for years but I'm just keeping him there over my break- I normally keep him at a barn in Birmingham (where I'm at school)

And he DOES look like a Creamsicle! I hadn't noticed that

My trainer actually called me on a day I couldn't make it out and told me that he was the more orange horse she'd ever seen.

The only hope I have is to use Orvus- I worship the stuff, it works so well! I don't think any amount of brushing is going to take it out...looks like when the rain finally stops and it's warm enough, he's just going to have to have a B-A-T-H