The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I bought an inexpensive one to check for nails after my barn was built. I found over 100 nails. I figure it paid for itself. I've also used it to locate survey posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Used properly, a metal detector is one of the best (and entertaining) exercise machines on the market -- especially if the ground is hilly!

And metal detectors do respond to non-ferrous metals. If they couldn't detect gold or silver, the market for them wouldn't be so great. I mean, why do you think so many detector users curse those pop-tops?
    Oh, well...hmmm. I guess I'm just passing bad information here today. Thanks for the correction. We never do know what we don't know.

Default Hay

chardavej said: "Now I'm going to come home and all of these trucks with horse bumperstickers are going to be in my yard and all these strange people will be in my garage with pickaxes, which will then be full of holes in the walls, LOL!"

Arh, arh!!!! I just spit my Poland Spring water all over my keyboard on this!!! (Drinking water to help loose weight, ugh!)

And, the desperate horse people pick axing holes in your wall will have this bumper sticker on the bumper:

My horse ate my paycheck!!!

Arh, arh!!!!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Not HR, but the black sheep of my husband's family had a huge bunch of cash (from some kind of gun heist) and there was a hit out for him. So buried the cash and then robbed a drug store next to a police station so he would have to spend a bit of time in the Big House (his second home). When he came out they had built a freeway over his stash.
    Beautiful

Friends of ours stopped at a wayside stop for their little girl to have a pee. It was only when they got back home after eight hours of driving, that my friend realized her wedding band and engagement ring were not there. They took a metal detector, drove eight hours to the exact spot and found the rings.

You might want to make a rough map of your property. Then you can put a grid on it and mark the areas that you find things.

We've got a really nice metal detector at work (for finding survey monuments) and I can borrow it whenever I want. If the metal detector doesn't pick up anything (sometimes monuments are buried too deep) we get out the witching rods. They work, at least for some of us.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Default Hay

Monuments? Do you mean graves? Oh my gosh, how interesting! Tell me more.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook