The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default What the *(&^*& is going on at Santa Anita???

First Garret and Back at You, now IndyAnne....aarrggghh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Two horses broke down in the first race yesterday. (Back At You can't be blamed on the track, the horse attempted to jump the rail.)

But there were whispers about the track not being right almost 2 weeks ago, right after all that rain. You just didn't read about it in the media, where the track surface was Sunshine And Roses.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Default Further questions about SA

Is there any further word on IndyAnne? I heard on tv that the two year old was ok, but that is at least the second or third time I have seen that happen at SA this fall.
    Does anyone know how/why TVG seems to have lost the feed to SA? The People at HRTV seem a little more concerned about the horses than TVG, but that could be my perception after seeing two DNF today
    Another killer of threads

We just got back from the S.A. track-- it was a sickening day. I'm just checking here now for word on Gomez, his horse, and Indyanne. Both accidents happened at same spot on the track from my view at the finish line.

I was wondering if you had gone x...I am sure it was much more terrifying live. It was just sickening on tv. All I know is what HRTV gave us...that it looks like BAY just has cuts, and Gomez was talking and could move all his extremities. Indyanne was splinted and vanned back to the barn.

Not be all "grassy knoll" here. but I wonder if she didnt step in a hole created when BAY dug in to jump...?
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Not be all "grassy knoll" here. but I wonder if she didnt step in a hole created when BAY dug in to jump...?
    wasn't that race with BAY on the turf??

Update from Bloodhorse regarding Indyanne:

"Very good chance to make it...outside sesamoid is perfect/tore very few ligaments. Surgery in few days."

And from DRF:

Ron Anderson, Gomez's agent, told Santa Anita officials late Saturday afternoon that Gomez lost several teeth, suffered a gash on his left knee and had a swollen hand. The jockey was undergoing precautionary X-rays, Anderson told track officials.

Rough day at the office.
    Garrett's incident and Indyanne we on two different surfaces. Garrett on turf, Indyanne on the main. One had nothing to do with the other.
    It's more than high time for people to be accountable. Indyanne recently was sold for a Million dollars to break down in two starts. Who did the PPE. Who did the check this am. She shipped to Puype. She has trained sore for 2 months. And sore is being kind.
    "Horsemen" need to pull their heads out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    Rough day at the office.
    Garrett's incident and Indyanne we on two different surfaces. Garrett on turf, Indyanne on the main. One had nothing to do with the other.
    It's more than high time for people to be accountable. Indyanne recently was sold for a Million dollars to break down in two starts. Who did the PPE. Who did the check this am. She shipped to Puype. She has trained sore for 2 months. And sore is being kind.
    "Horsemen" need to pull their heads out.

"The La Brea will be Indyanne's first attempt beyond six furlongs.

"Seven-eighths is the question we have to ask," Gilchrist said..."

Guess he got his answer.

Blinkers, I didn't know she trained sore? I know Gilchrest entered her against older male horses in the suasilito......do you think that was harmful?

Evidently.
    But is this a filly's should not compete with colts as it takes it's toll thing. No.

I have a very reliable friend at GGF that "marks" horses for gambling purposes. He has grown up in horse racing and he had marked her and was shocked she was as sore as she trained.
    People need to step up in this industry. I can't defend jack azzes. Why would I?

Oh wow, major DUH moment....been cooped up with pneumonia (which is why I actually got to watch the racing)
    Ummm never mind.
    Really sucks about Indyanne.....
    carolprudm

www.calracing.com. it's free and it travels with you...if you have a laptop in bed with you. It's real time. Works well if you can stand Jon White and Kurt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Two horses broke down in the first race yesterday. (Back At You can't be blamed on the track, the horse attempted to jump the rail.)

But there were whispers about the track not being right almost 2 weeks ago, right after all that rain. You just didn't read about it in the media, where the track surface was Sunshine And Roses.
    And here's an interesting question--let's say it is the track and Pro Ride has degraded far faster than any other synthetic put in in California.

After replacing two racetracks, one by mandate and the other because it was broken, can Magna afford to fix it?

My guess is no.

They couldn't put dirt in if they wanted to.. they can't afford it. Again, Shapiro was wise to resign.
    Bring in the arabs... maybey they can help up before we self destruct. Maybe

What a shame...

What would have caused BAY to try to jump the rail, he seemed to be going a long just fine and then all of a sudden..
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    People need to step up in this industry.
    The wagering public, even the savvy ones, don't sit at racetracks and watch workouts, day after day, like your friend. So yeah, I trust his eyes. Problem is that people like that have to serve as the whistleblowers. Because the rest of us can't....we don't have the goods.

Certainly, the columnists in the industry who write for a living should also be more involved and more honest. The pen is mighty. Like any corporation, when there's big $ involved, there has to be checks and balances to reign in the greed.

One of the excuses I hear horse racing fans give is that "animals get hurt everyday that's life."

I say there are enough unseen challenges on the track, and that in our urge to create champions, we do NOT have to give less-than-sound horses huge challenges that the odds say might cost them their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini View Post
    And here's an interesting question--let's say it is the track and Pro Ride has degraded far faster than any other synthetic put in in California.

After replacing two racetracks, one by mandate and the other because it was broken, can Magna afford to fix it?

My guess is no.
    I wouldn't think so either - BUT it would be really interesting to see what, if any, contracty/warranty/guarantee they have with the manufacturer. There are currently lawsuits out for what happened last January.

In the meantime, with only one day off this week, hoping for the best for all horses and jockeys. How about an accident- and injury-free day today?
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Keep in mind and cited on another thread, there are also these two high profile injuries on that same surface: Dec 19th - "Fatal Bullet hurt, Kentucky Bear retired"

Fatal Bullet, who earlier this month was voted Canada's Horse of the Year, suffered a knee injury this past week at Santa Anita while training for the Dec. 26 Malibu Stakes and will be sidelined for at least three months, trainer Reade Baker said Friday.

Baker also said that Kentucky Bear, who finished third in this year's Blue Grass Stakes, had suffered a career-ending injury, also at Santa Anita, and has been retired to stud.
    I'll say this: if you had these injuries at Saratoga it would get the problem fixed and now. Per NYRA in Nov over 3,000 - I'll repeat three-thousand plus - starts at the Saratoga meet in 2008 and ZERO injuries that required any to be euthanized. The number of horses pulling up were only a handful. Further I'm not aware of any career ending or fatal workouts on the Oklahoma Track either.

For Santa Anita you can say perhaps one horse was slightly off but all of these horses getting injured points to the track being not right.

A lot of interesting comments here. And how's this for amazing: Garrett Gomez plans to ride tomorrow at Santa Anita!

Tex, we are a determined bunch.

Winter if I came on here and said "Bob" says Indyanne looks sore. Who's word would you take at face value. Mystery man or the guy who trained Lost In The Fog?