The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oh Ted, that was so thoughtful of you to let us humans know. Unfortunately my one horse who's 26 can't have that stuff because of the sugar content. While my other guy can (so far at least), the old geezer gets pissed if I just give him a few carrot bites while the other one gets the peppermints.

But, on a good note, I'll be able to leave all that for other horse people to get for their horses.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

They do make sugar free peeps. They had orange somethings at Halloween!

And peppermint is a natural anti inflammatory. So, like, if you eat a whole box of them a day that is probably the best thing.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    They do make sugar free peeps. They had orange somethings at Halloween!

And peppermint is a natural anti inflammatory. So, like, if you eat a whole box of them a day that is probably the best thing.
    I had no idea there were sugar free peeps. I'll have to go and check those out. And as for the peppermints being a natural anti inflammatory, heck - I'm gonna eat a whole box - forget the ponies!

Hey if nothing else by buying up all the peeps etc, we WILL be helping the economy - RIGHT?
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

OK Ted.....

I went out and looked at Kmart and they had NO peeps, except these strawberry ones and I wasn't sure bout those, so I went to Rite Aid, and there they were!!! I hope Harry likes em, cause I found 3 boxes of the peppermint star peeps for 50% off price, and a whole box of candy canes!

I feel bad cause I think we may be getting grinched on the horse treat SS and I know he was so looking forward to trying new things!

So, Ted, thanks for the heads up on the Peep sales. I will let Harry try em out tomorrow night!
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

Private JD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eyesontheground View Post
    I could not resist. I purchased a pack of each. My mother thinks I have lost my mind because I, uh, dont actually have an equine in my life right now. And I told her they werent for me.

I have not 100% decided what to do with them but I keep asking myself WWTD (what would ted do). I decided that you would like me to share them with those heese that have no peeps and fancy sugar cubes. I will let you know when I decide 100% what to do.
    YIPPIE!!! You are coming to visit!!!
    ...No equine in your life... HOGWASH!

The Hotster and I got nothin' but boring old apples and carrots in our stockings this year. Mom said something about us being to fat already, and us costing a fortune to feed

GreyHunterHorse -

if your horse has been grinched let us know. I will make Ted share some of his goodies!!! I may not have time with deadlines to cook up something homemade, but we can share our packaged goods!

NOT FAIR to grinch a pony. Or a rescue!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Thanks DGRH

I'm giving it a few more days, but I am thinking we may be grinched as I haven't heard anything from our treat SS and no update from the Treat SS Chief Elf either about an update.

I agree, no fair to grinch a pony or a rescue!!!
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    Ted, just an FYI..... Peppermints are illegal at any and all FEI competitions for the very reason you mentioned. I used to have to wean my mare off of them before the 3-Days.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Quote Originally Posted by tx3dayeventer View Post
    Ted, just an FYI..... Peppermints are illegal at any and all FEI competitions for the very reason you mentioned. I used to have to wean my mare off of them before the 3-Days.
    OMG, what a dilemma! But of course one could just change Peep flavors, so one doesn't ... ah ... over self-medicate, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FancyFree View Post
    I love those! What area of Target did you find them in? With the Christmas candy?
    In my Target they were way back in the back just an aisle or two over from the ornaments, garland, paper, etc. The aisle was pretty cleaned out so I am not sure what was there to begin with and I just happened down it on my way to Christmas cards (stocking up for next year).
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Private JD View Post
    YIPPIE!!! You are coming to visit!!!
    ...No equine in your life... HOGWASH!

The Hotster and I got nothin' but boring old apples and carrots in our stockings this year. Mom said something about us being to fat already, and us costing a fortune to feed
    JD - my long distance love...

Your mother is mean mean mean...she should give you peeps and fancy sugar cubes (they were on sale after all).

However, I do remember what you and the Hotster did with the special treat you got just after Halloween...do you? And in your mothers defense, the Hotster really doesn't need any peeps or fancy sugar cubes if he is to take the leadline circuit by storm this season...you do want a famous pasture mate right?

PS Ask the little one for peeps and fancy sugar cubes and candy canes...she might slip them to you when your mean mommy isn't looking.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Default Ted!

My horse is a big fan of those peeps, so thanks for the heads up!

He eats them kind of funny, and spends 20 minutes licking his lips, but he likes them!

Private JD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eyesontheground View Post
    JD - my long distance love...

Your mother is mean mean mean...she should give you peeps and fancy sugar cubes (they were on sale after all).
    It Worked! She has been guilted into buying up the last of the leftover candy canes (too late for peeps but the Valentine stuff is already out, so there's hope for February)

However, I do remember what you and the Hotster did with the special treat you got just after Halloween...do you?
    Pumpkin is a vegetable not a treat

And in your mothers defense, the Hotster really doesn't need any peeps or fancy sugar cubes if he is to take the leadline circuit by storm this season...you do want a famous pasture mate right?
    I am already famous. I won a very important race once (at least that is what my groom told me when they took my picture), and my father is famous too.
    PS Ask the little one for peeps and fancy sugar cubes and candy canes...she might slip them to you when your mean mommy isn't looking.
    Would I get more if I did that leadline thing?

Ted:
    thanks for the heads-up. I scampered over to Rite Aid yesterday and scored a couple packages of the peppermint stars. I couldn't wait to get to the barn last night and I expectantly put a star on top of CandiGirl's grain. She perked up her ears, gingerly picked it up, nodded a couple of times. I thought, OK, she likes it! I was so excited.

Until she spat it out in the mud, wiped her lips on her hay and went back to her grain. she just looked disgusted.

That's it. No more peeps for CandiGirl. Back to grapes for her! But more soft treats for the sweet, grand old retiree who stalls next to her.

Well, we have scored some boxes and now that I'm back in St Louis will try to score even more, so for those horses who got treat grinched, let me know!!!
    www.specialhorses.org

I CAN'T FIND THE PEPPERMINT PEEPS!!

But I did find Walgreens having a 75% off sale on ALL Christmas stuff. SOOOOO, Rhett has scored about 120 mini candy canes, and a whole bag of starbright mints I did also find Christmas Tree & Snowman Peeps.

Rhett gave his fellow OTTB friend, Sweep, a box of 40 count mini candy canes and 3 boxes of peeps for Christmas (a little late). GOTTA SPREAD THE LOVE
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

Default but...how BAD are they?

As I was feeding one to Harry last night, I wondered.....exactly how BAD are the Peeps for my horse? I mean, for humans 3 Peeps is 100 calories, which isn't too bad, but how many is too many in one day? He had 2.5 after sharing with his barn buddy Marshall. I would never overdo ANY treats, but I'm wondering how bad they really are for horses.

Ted gets one before his bridle goes on and one after. And then sometimes one extra. Plus other stuff. Granted, he has a TB metabolism and is not (thankfully!) IR.

One time asb_owns_me came to visit, I didn't realize Classy didn't like peeps, and we gave her a bunch, so she gave them to Ted and he ate a WHOLE package with no ill effects. Except annoyance that I wouldn't do it again.

peppermint not allowed at FEI level? BAH! Then I'll stay at 2nd and below, thank you. Don't want to ever take a chance.
    www.specialhorses.org

Peep-a-holics that can't find any...I just made some using Martha Stewarts recipe. I have one that I have used for years but decided to try hers instead, not much different, but Dumplin' declares Martha's the victor!

http://farmatnanticokecreek.com/?p=882

(and my DD and I kinda like 'em too...)
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Haha maybe I should get Red some peeps to occupy him!

We were holding them in the sun today to cool off and dry the sweat (It is ridiculusly warm for december here and that doesn't go well with winter coats) and I usually play with him and mess around while we relaxing. Well today I was standing with two horsey friends and we were chatting away. Red started off rubbing his head up and down my back and goofing of as usual and I just ignored him while I was talking to my friend. Well next thing I know he has hold of the shoulder of my shirt and just pulls it twice and lets go! Shocked, I turn around just to see him standing there looking at me pathetically like "why are you ignoring me?" He has never once tried to bite, kick or had a mean moment so I just laughed and figured he wanted my attention. My two friends gasped and were like "he just tried to bite you!" And were freaking out. Lol, what a crazy horse I have but I love him to death!

*headed out to get some peeps and other treats, thanks Ted!*