The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Dang, if it's gonna be winter, let it be winter

Ok, so last week and earlier this week we had a ton of snow to deal with as did the PNW, MW, and all of NE. Yesterday we had a big thaw as in temps in the upper 40's and a huge snow melt. Nice huh?
    NOPE! Temps dropped again to ~30 degrees F and there is a ton of ice out there in the pastures and really rough ground. We're supposed to get temps in the 40's again tomorrow and then upper 50's on Saturday with rain. For some people that means flooding and backed up drainage ditches etc. With a LOT of luck MOST of the snow, ice and water will be gone by Sat evening.

But hey why can't those of us that SHOULD have a real winter get one with about 4-6" of snow on the ground ALL THE TIME? It's not like I really like the snow and cold but I'd rather have snow than ice or mud or frozen mud... I'm just hoping both the horses act their ages (16 and 26) and don't break a leg....

Sorry, I guess this just a BAH HUMBUG X-mas morning.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We had almost 2' in Northwestern RI . Yesterday it was rainy and warm(er) and we woke up this morning to Barely any snow ! Still piles in places, but basically it looks like March around here. Temps in the 40s for the next few days. Ican finally top off my water trough without having to switch hoses and thaw out the outside faucet with boiling water! But, I'm sure before long it'll be back to the reality of winter for 3 months . My girl has begun to shed - just a few hairs, but it's a start. I'm being optimistic here. Anyway, I hope santa was good to all 2- and 4- footed friends. Happy Holidays!

msj-same conditions here! This sucks The snow was great, the boys had it packed and footing was fabulous and now... icy and wet. Oh and there is a river near the barn where the swail is no longer working because it is full of snow that hasn't melted quiet enough. Thank god we built the barn above grade... 100+ yards of fill to achieve that but apparently worth every cent!!!

I just want the snow to stay until Marchish then melt with minimal mud. Is that too much to ask for???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manyspots View Post
    msj-same conditions here! This sucks The snow was great, the boys had it packed and footing was fabulous and now... icy and wet. Oh and there is a river near the barn where the swail is no longer working because it is full of snow that hasn't melted quiet enough. Thank god we built the barn above grade... 100+ yards of fill to achieve that but apparently worth every cent!!!

I just want the snow to stay until Marchish then melt with minimal mud. Is that too much to ask for???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ah manyspots, you're a person after my heart - or should I say my horse's heart. If I didn't have the horses in my backyard I might feel different about the melt and freeze. The ONLY good thing is that I do have an indoor to let them have a good roll and run later today. The OTTB will do just that and the older QH will need me to walk after him cracking the lunge whip to keep him going.

Have a merry Christmas!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I couldn't agree more - I hate this weather that flip flops. I'd much rather have the snow than all that other crap. First we had the ice storm a couple of weeks ago. Then last week we had back to back snow storms that left us with a nice 2 feet of snow. Yesterday it rained - grrrrrr. It's warmer today and tomorrow. Then it'll go back into the deep freeze again. So the paddocks will all be frozen and hard - difficult for the horses to get around.

I just pulled the boys shoes earlier this week too.....I'm not sure how my one tender footed TB will do if it becomes too crusty and hard.

Just give me an old fashioned snow filled winter - then thaw out around March and let spring begin

The warm up hit Ct too...pissed me right off! Went from 10" or so of lovely powdery snow that the horses were loving and that made it easy to use the sled for manure removal...and then we get 45 degrees with a high and very warm freaking wind and last night the snow was like trying to walk in water-logged crisco. This morning more than half of it is gone, replaced with mud and puddles. And the higher traffic areas are slick as snot. 22 tonight, 35 tomorrow, 46 and rain on Saturday and mid 50s w/ rain and wind Sunday. Blech!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We've got the same in Indiana. It's been in the 20's, then in the 40's, then down into single digits, today is raining and 50, tomorrow is supposed to be 65?!?! This is all within the course of a couple of weeks. It's a mucky, muddy mess right now and will probably be a frozen skating rink in a couple of days. I hate this flip-flopping, too. Ruddy footing, you never know what blanket to put on your horse since the temperature fluctuates so much, the horses get pretty warm when worked because they've all got their winter woolies. If it's winter, just let it be winter for Pete's sake!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Well here in Central NC, all it does is rain....the temps deviate between 40-70 degrees....it's muggy and humid/disgusting. Everything is soggy and can't dry out.

I was looking forward to cool temps (50s) and some sunshine...but so far this has been the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by AEM74 View Post
    We've got the same in Indiana. It's been in the 20's, then in the 40's, then down into single digits, today is raining and 50, tomorrow is supposed to be 65?!?! This is all within the course of a couple of weeks. It's a mucky, muddy mess right now and will probably be a frozen skating rink in a couple of days. I hate this flip-flopping, too. Ruddy footing, you never know what blanket to put on your horse since the temperature fluctuates so much, the horses get pretty warm when worked because they've all got their winter woolies. If it's winter, just let it be winter for Pete's sake!
    SW MI was an icy mess this morning, and we are supposed to be ~60 here tomorrow too! Then refreeze on Sunday yay...

I talked to my BO in Indiana today, and it was way too icy to let horses out there too...she was trying to clear a path to the round pen to give them somewhere other than the indoor to turn out in, in turns.

Definitely needs to just snow or stay above freezing so we don't have to risk life and limb to walk to the mailbox!
    Owned by 1 horse, 2 dogs, 2 cats, my 4yo son, a 1yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!

OK, so we don't have it so bad here in Houston cold-wise, but I do HATE the flip-flop weather... It was 35,cloudy and windy on Monday (felt much colder), then 70, humid and rainy on Thursday (Christmas day)... I know not anywhere near as icky cold as you guys had it, but I agree, let it be winter! At least in the 40s woulda been nice for C'mas day...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I know what you mean. Last week we had a temp of 3 with below zero windchills.... today it is supposed to be close to 70. Bizarre!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

We're expecting a LOW tonight of 45f! and highs in the mid 60s for Sunday. January thaw in December?? I'm not complaining, just so it doesn't come back to bite us in April! And, a few hairs are flying off od the big girl. Hope everyone's doing OK in this weird weather. I'm being a little paranoid about counting piles of poop every day!

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Well here in Central NC, all it does is rain....the temps deviate between 40-70 degrees....it's muggy and humid/disgusting. Everything is soggy and can't dry out.

I was looking forward to cool temps (50s) and some sunshine...but so far this has been the pits.
    Same here in Southeastern Virginia...rain rain rain and more rain and that brings mud, mud, mud and more mud! I've even seen gnats and bugs come out one day and the next you are freezing! UGH! My rings are a wet mess and it's hard to keep horses working in this damp miserable weather. I did chores last night yet again in 45F rainfall and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post

dalpal, I have friends that have just moved to western NC, Columbus area, and they say it's all sunshine and blue sky, esp after we've been hit up north here with foul weather. I know she's trying to rub it in that your weather is warmer but now I'll really know how crappy it really is. I know summers in NC, at least where she is, are muggy and humid, but I had surmised that one could get away from it come winter. I guess I'll take snow and moderate temps to all that rain. Please note I said moderate temps - from mid 20's to upper 30's are fine. Unfortunately western NY often gets hit with temps in the teens and single digits as well.
    Sue

NC is warm, but muddy. I tried to bring back the drought by purchasing a $15 pair of muck boots, but they seem to be paying for themselves.

*%#@!! It's been in the mid to upper 70's and super-humid down here for most of the week. Trust me, it sucks!

Not only did the heat wave make it really hard to get in the holiday spirit, the horses aren't especially happy. My gang is out 24/7 and they've got their winter woolies on. That was perfect for all that unusually cold weather we were having. Now they're all standing around sweating AND I had to break out the fly spray! Of course the beastie who was body clipped is pretty happy. He's been going naked day and night for a while now......
    Y'all ain't right!

I agree, msj, and, being in the same general vicinity as you, I am in full sympathy. Even the area under the bird feeder is under water right now.

I board, and the major disadvantage to me is that I can't get my horse to come in, and I'm not equipped to deal with the calf high (ok, I'm exaggerating) mud in the pasture to go get her. I'm not even going to try today. All that will happen is that I will stand at the gate, calling "Promise, oh Promise! Come get your peppermints." while she stands in the high and dry part of the pasture looking at me with that "I'm not wading through all that mud for no stinkin' peppermint." look. How come the high and dry part of the pasture is never the part that is near the gate?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I agree, msj, and, being in the same general vicinity as you, I am in full sympathy. Even the area under the bird feeder is under water right now.

I board, and the major disadvantage to me is that I can't get my horse to come in, and I'm not equipped to deal with the calf high (ok, I'm exaggerating) mud in the pasture to go get her. I'm not even going to try today. All that will happen is that I will stand at the gate, calling "Promise, oh Promise! Come get your peppermints." while she stands in the high and dry part of the pasture looking at me with that "I'm not wading through all that mud for no stinkin' peppermint." look. How come the high and dry part of the pasture is never the part that is near the gate?
    Oh Louise, I know you have even more snow to melt than I do as you are up by the lake. UGH! Fortunately, the high part of my sacrifice paddocks are up at the stalls and, so far at least, neither horse has ventured to ponded area at the bottom of the paddocks (YET)! I was just out and pulled their turnout sheets off and am really hoping they don't decide to roll! The OTTB is the wimp so he might not, but then again he also LOVES to roll and rolls right over too! Remember, when Shadow goes over the Rainbow Bridge, Promise is welcome to come and keep my boy company. Less mud at least...
    Sue

I'm in Pgh, PA. We had temps well below 0 with windchills driving that much lower for about 3 days earlier this week. We didn't get any snow but had slick roads from the excessive rain we had for the couple days before the low temps. Temps broke, we moved up to the 30's/40's for xmas and then today....omg today it was over 70!!!!!!! In the direct sun my little weather station was reading nearly 85

Yesterday it was in the high 40's and it rained relentlessly-for the 3rd weekend in a row my basement flooded Later last night we had the brightest flashes of lightening and the strongest explosionz of thunder I've ever experienced...in December at least . After today's temps I know why we got a summer-like storm . It's supposed to rain again over the next couple days and temps are to only be in the 50's tomorrow. I'm not complaining mind you but Monday brings back the 30's

Unfortunately this IS winter for us The temp swings. The rain. The mud. The frozen lumpy pastures. Constantly slick roads due to warm rainy weather quickly transitioning to below freezing. I too would be much happier with multiple inches of snow for a period of time. At least you can get traction in snow. Snow fills the frozen mud holes in the pasture so it's easier on the horses. And! if it snows enough they close work for a day while they clear the roads
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

What a crazy day for us today.

We were 27F this morning and clear, by 9 am it clouded up, got windy from the North, quickly down to 16F and started to snow, had about 2" to noon, the sun came up and ended up getting to 43F and snow melting every place except on the North side of things there is a little left.

The horses were staying under the barn, heads down in the morning and were rolling around and playing in the sunny afternoon.

Really crazy weather, all in one day.