The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm thinking about getting one for myself for Christmas... I e-mailed an inquiry last night regarding a mare I recently saw up for sale... She is by a stallion that I have long admired...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

yup.. when I was ten I got my first horse Willow.

I watched her give birth to her last foal on my 10th birthday in may 2001. It was so cool to see it all, and being a horse crazy 10yro, I fell in love with the mare. She was crazy.. look up the definition of chestnut tb mare, and you would find a picture of her but god did I love that horse.

She was actually owned by a fellow COTHer who at the time rented the barn I rode at. I was one of the barn girls there and had been since she started it. I got to care for Willow and her foal all year. then on Christmas Eve I got to the farm (she was actually being weaned at a neighboring farm) to find her with a merry christmas sign and bow on her!

It was a great gift, and I am so thankful to have been in the situation to receive her. It really was a defining moment in my life because everyone knows you cant just have one horse

i am trying to find pics of the day, but cant find them on this computer. so in the meantime .. here are some of us from the summer before I got her
    http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/34...500x500Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/34...500x500Q85.jpg
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

CJBean, I loved your story and pictures!

Yes, I did. Two rescues. 7 and 9 years old, one is pregnant. They needed out ASAP and I agreed. Very sad story, owner loosing brains due too much vodka in general, over 20 horses starved and neglected. The two who I took, are in bearable condition, except the fact that they had been malnourished for years.

But some are in worse condition - when I saw picture of the Arab stallion, I called up meda, TV, and it made officials make a move so at least criminal case had been started last week - before TV made a news clip, gov officals called me to say that there are not enough evidences to do anything...

Stallion looked like this:
    http://s56.radikal.ru/i153/0812/c7/c247aea7ae40.jpg

Here is the clip on news
    http://www.tvnet.lv/onlinetv/lnt/deg....php?id=327664

He was taken by a vet and now she is fighting for the stallions lofe - he just lays down and has no strenght to stand again so she is lifting him up in ropes. He is on IV and few days had showed some improvement, but he is really starved - his liver is seriously damaged and testicles had dried out due to the lack of proteins.

Majority of horses are out and recovering, 7 had been left and owners refuses to give them away. They are not in such terrible condition, but it is just beginning of winter - how they will look at spring - nobody knows...
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post
    Oh Yes I did, let me tell you the story It could get a little long, but I just love telling the story especially to other horsie friends.
    (see pg.1)

I hope I didn't sound like to much of a spoiled brat I usually don't tell this story to non horsie folks.
    That just made me tear up so that I couldn't read the rest of the posts. What an amazing story. That should be in Chicken Noodle for the Horse Lover's Soul.

Now it's morning and I'm drinking tea and I'm still tearing up! Thank you so much for the wonderful stories, everyone. It's great to hear all the love in this world.

Yes...Christmas 47 years ago at the tender age of 10...and I'm still a grateful horse owner!!

It was in middle Ga and the ground was covered with ice...My sister and I would awake and run to the tree in the middle of the night..well maybe at 3-4 AM sometimes...This time Mom kept shooing us back to bed.

When she finally allowed us to go to our Santa presents we were in the midst of the wonder of it all when she insisted we go to the front door. Of course we protested...we were too busy and it was cold out there.

Can you imagine our surprise when we opened the door and there was my father astride a palomino! I still have the photo of our faces..mother had gone ahead with the camera to catch our surprise. Imagine a tall lanky girl with pincurls and a wee little ,shorter one with huge eyes and both with our mouths open in a scream of joy. !

My dear Dad had driven to the adjoining town where he had the horse stabled and then ridden her through the fields to our country home.

I often have the opportunity to share that my first horse came from Santa with children this time of year. I certainly try to do MY part to instill the need in those potential little horse people in waiting!! teehee
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

You bet...I gave myself a brand spanking new old red Thoroughbred mare for Christmas!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...i/PC060035.jpg

Her name is Thai's My Mama and she is going back to the riding life after 20 years off the track. Of course she does not know this yet...

I didn't get one but I bought my wife one. Shes a coming 3 year old daughter of the AQHA Champion Halter stallion Mr Yella Fella.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Before the horse, my first Christmas present was riding lessons...for 3 months only. That was all my parents could afford. I was 12 and my sister was 10. Ever since I could remember I wanted a horse, and read everything I could get my hands on about horses. After the 3 months passed, my sister and I ended up staying on and doing various chores in exchange for riding lessons. This extended into the summer and fall, where we would ride our bikes out to the barn and stay all day long.

That summer, I fell in love with a horse named Andy (Andiamo). He was a dark bay OTTB that had supposedly been trained to 4th level dressage. I didn't care about all of that. He was tall, dark and handsome, and the best horse in the world! He had just gotten done recuperating from surgery due to stepping on a nail when I started riding him. My sister would ride him on occasion too, but I always looked forward to our rides together.

That next Christmas morning, we got a call from the Barn Owners (and owners of Andy). They needed help. The water pipes to the barn were frozen, and they needed help carrying water to the barn. So, of course, they needed a now 13 and 11 year old girl to help with this task! When we got to the barn, I headed on down to Andy's stall, and there was a huge ribbon around his neck with a card that said "Merry Christmas." But, alas, he was to be SHARED by my sister and I. That didn't quite end up working out, as Andy was really my soul mate at the time, but the following Christmas my sister got a horse of her very own too.

I rode Andy in various 4-H and Pony Club events through the years, and he kept me safe. Heck, we would even double up and ride him bareback out to the back fields for a picnic...and pretend he was Shetan...the black stallion! But when we got off, all he wanted to do was go back to the barn! He was a great horse, and ended up spending his last days at my parents home that they purchased to house our horses.

Wow! Memories! I am now all grown up (I think), and have had a horse of my own for two years (my only other horse since Andy). I think I am going to go and give him a Christmas apple now! Thanks for the memories!

My second pony was a christmas present - she was my sister's and she got "passed" on to me when my sister traded up to the horse ranks. That pony was the absolute best in the world - thirty years later and I still look at the photo of her tied up to the fence on Xmas morning with a ribbon in her forlock and smile.

Yes! Wow, it was six years ago today! She was a 10 yr-old chestnut TB cross, I actually don't remember her exact height, about 15.2 I think! Her name was Chicago and I was very surprised! I remember being very surprised because my parents had always said we'd talk about it when I was 10, and that was a few monthes away.

Well, we got 2- CANTER horses that needed a home- I guess the best gift is that my lovely daughter took such good care of them, as she is watching the house while we are down south visiting Daughter 2. She got transport, and has watched over them every step of the way.... I have not met them yet, but they are safe and happy in their stalls in our barn.

Here is Northern Romance...

and Tahoe Joe
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

I did... I was either 2 or 3. He was 12.2hh and we think he was Exmoor X Connemara.

I used to spend a lot of time at my grandparent's home, it was a small farm and they raised sheep and had about 15 acres back then. There was a riding stable next door and every day I'd get taken over their by my grandmother to look at the horses. They lived on part of something we called a "Common".. it's a wide stretch of open land and forest that is publicly owned. The sheep were allowed to graze on it, and the riding stables took trail rides over it.

My grandparents had a medium sized barn, that doubled for storing hay and Grandpa's workshed. I used to go back there to help get the feed and see the "Horse". It was a "Saw Horse" and somehow I was convinced it would end up as a real horse someday if I left it hay.

Well.. Suddenly I wasn't allowed to go back there for several months. I can't remember what they told me, I just know that I wasn't allowed to go feed the SawHorse anymore.

Christmas Day

I am led out to the barn, and see a hairy bay pony with a fat onion star. He was mine

My parents had heard of a pony seized by the RSPCA that was a former JA Jumping pony, and had applied to adopt him. I hadn't been allowed in the barn for a couple of months because my grandparents had been feeding him up (looking back on the old newspaper cuttings he had to have been maybe a 2 on the body score at first).

He was in his 20's when we got him. Not sure of the age. He taught me trot poles and X rails on a lead rope.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e76/Magic1.jpg
    This is the pic that was in the newspaper article - he was still very hairy but his weight had come back. The saddle was made by a shoemaker and was treeless My parents still have it. I eventually graduated to riding the horse in the background many years later

And here he and I were the next summer (or maybe 2 after)
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...6/ThatPony.jpg

I was too tiny to do much with him, but he was great and very patient. Best Christmas Pony Ever. His name was Magic. I kinda think he liked getting a little girl for Christmas too . He ended his days with us.

What a star that is! What a cute pony (and little girl! )
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

for xmas 2006 i got to lease my pony i've been leasing him again, until i find a pony to buy. for xmas 2007 i was supposed to buy a pony for xmas, but dad was laid off from jjob and we couldn't afford to take the risk. i had turned 16 in march so my 07 xmas present/16th birthday present was going to be the pony, but still no job. dads finally working again soon so we can afford it. currently hunting for the perfect pony right now so maybe it's a year late, but that's okay. a pony is a pony!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Well, two things. . .I SOLD a pony for Christmas our darling weanling filly--will hate to see her go, she is super precious. . . but she found a good new Mama and that is always my dream, that the ponies find good new mamas :-) . . and, second. . I made an offer on a pony. . (oh, jinx! jinx!) see, I shouldn't have said anything,
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

I did....5 yr old OTTB to be a companion for my guy. He is adorable and I can't wait to get on him weather permitting!!!
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Default Aww Colleen!!!

That was the first time I heard the WHOLE Dumplin story beginning to end! I knew pieces... but wow!!
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

YES!
    My husband went to the local auction and while he said he was only checking it out, he has never been there he came back with a dark bay quarter horse gelding. Poor boy needed lots of groceries and lots of love and apples. He was adorable. We named him Angus. I was shocked I never would have dreamed he would do this. He will start his basic dressage training as soon as the weather allows.
    Will post pics soon as I have some.

Congrats to all who got horses for xmas!
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~