The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Talking

Christmas morning, as we were opening our presents, my husband wouldn't let me open my last box. Then when everyone was finished, he told me I could open mine.
    When I opened the box, a tiny haletr came out. I am thinking....oh geesh, what's this?
    As I am looking at it, he told me to look farther. Inside the box was also a card. Inside the card was a picture of a fuzzy little miniature horse. The card read "My name is Purely Dynamic and I get to come home to my new mommy today!"
    Well, the farm was about 4 miles away. We all got dressed, (took forever) and we went. The man who owned the barn took us out to a stall and opened it up, took him out. He's a 1 1/2 yr old colt, all fuzzy, but you could definately tell he was a beauty. I got to walk him around, and he did little kicks and pranced for me. He also nuzzled me when I knealed down to look at him closely.
    The thing is, we have 3 horses already. I knew I wasn't getting another one because there's just not enough room yet. But a mini....I never would have guessed! He's just adorable!
    I am 50, and have always been a big animal lover. 2 dogs, a cat and a African Gray parrot, 3 horses....now a mini.
    Not a bad Christmas, I must say!

AWWWWW.. Man guys you have me sitting here crying!! What WONDERFUL! stories!!

CJBean, what a beautiful boy Firelove had, can't wait to see the pics of her!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

When I was 8 (ugh, can't believe that was nearly 30 years ago) I got to see a foal born for the first time, at my mom's friend's barn, and my Dad was there taking pictures. That was April, 1980. That same year, on Christmas morning, I opened a present and it was a picture of that same Palomino foal. I didn't get it at first, but then my mom said she is yours. I will never forget the excitement I had to own my first horse, and to have been there for her birth. Taxi, (her registered name was Brass Tax) and I grew up together. I was there when she was broke, was the only one to ever ride her in a show, and she was truly my once in a lifetime horse. I had her until she was 22, and was able to say goodbye to her and thank her for a lifetime of love and memories. I still have the pictures of her on the day she was born.
    Then last year I got an early Christmas present, (almost exactly 5 years after losing Taxi), when I found Andy, my TB/Paint mix, in November, 2007. He is the male version of Taxi, and my second once in a lifetime horse.

I got my sweet mare last christmas. My parents had no idea what they were getting into but they knew me well enough that they knew I would make it work.

Lady the day I signed the papers
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...me/Lady003.jpg

Lady this Christmas
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...16667b51-2.jpg

I have heard this story many times and was in the part at the end. My mom wanted a horse of her own ever since she was almost two years old, the first time she ever saw a real live equine, at a 4th of July parade less than two weeks before her 2nd birthday. It was a palomino, and the man was riding western, so I bet the horse was a quarter horse, so I don't know WHY that would have impressed her, but it did. My adopted grandparents are not horsey. At all. And they didn't have much money. And she lived in the suburbs, and when she was three they had the lawyer across the street explain zoning laws which meant she couldn't have a pony in her backyard. At five, she entered the Charleston Chew pony giveaway (write in 25 words or less why you need to win a pony) about a zillion times, I bet that is how she learned to write so early, because she wanted that pony so much. She thought that Susan Seidenspinner, who was a year ahead of her in school, and whose grandad had a pony for her at their house (a grandfather clause?), was a goddess because she had a pony of her own, even though she said later she realized SUsan didn't like the pony very much. When she was 8 and 9, her mom and dad would once in a while take her to Breakfast at Belmont, where she FINALLY got to see some REAL HORSES in action. She never was boy crazy, but she did write a fan letter to my grand dad, Secretariat, after he won the Triple Crown. She got her first riding lesson when she was 11, at Bethpage Stables, because her mom fixed it with the hair salon to cut her long hair REALLY short when she asked them not to, and she wouldn't speak to her mom for three days, and so, because her mom was really very sorry, she said she would give her riding lessons. Grandma would sit in the car and not look because horses scared her, and she kept asking my mom if she didn't really want tennis lessons? Every year, for every birthday (July) and every Christmas, my mom asked for a horse. Or a pony. Finally, her dad said it wasn't the cost of the horse, it was the upkeep (for not knowing anything about horses, he was pretty smart about that, eh?). And if she saved $3000, he would buy her the horse. Well, that was tough for my mom, and kind of led to some political activism, because she couldn't get a paper route because she was a girl (when she found out a neighborhood boy who was flunking out of elementary school and 6 years her junior got the route, she was MAD and she wrote her senators and congressmen, who did nothing). So all she could do was babysit (and she didn't like babies) and rake leaves and shovel snow. She was very, very, very cheap. She didn't buy makeup or clothes or anything like that. And she did save up $3000...but then she had to use it to pay tuition at college. SHe did ride on the team at school, but back then there was no Chapter Nine (is that like in a book or something?) and so they were pretty bad. And then she had to make a choice, and she went to graduate school, but it was in New York City and of course there was no time or money on a graduate fellowship for horses. Then she went to Boston to live on a $16,000 before taxes post doctoral fellowship, and there was no money for horses. Then she moved to St. Louis where she got a job at a university, and she thought about it, but she had no money in the bank and she had to set up her lab. And then one day she hurt her back because she had a knee injury the doctor said wasn't a problem (well, he was WRONG). And when she realized how serious it was, she said, "I AM GOING TO GET MY HORSE." The doctor told her maybe in a year, she could get a Missouri Fox Trotter. Instead, she got me, 6 months later. The first time I saw her was April 13. It was the day after Easter, that year. She had a treat in the pocket of her zippered pullover. That's how I knew she was okay.

I know all this because she told me. And sometimes when I am being, well, Ted, she says, "ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS RAKING THOSE @#%*&~%#!@ LEAVES TO SAVE MONEY FOR MY HORSE AND THINKING ABOUT THE HORSE I WOULD HAVE AND YOU DON'T DESERVE IT." But she doesn't mean that. I know. I know because she comes out to visit me just about every day, and it's a long drive and she spends a lot of time at work first. She always makes sure I have my supplements, that I am okay, that I have my treats, that my hooves are okay. She lets me out to graze by the pond and hangs with me even when it is cold. She runs around after Christmas and Halloween to get me peeps on sale. She always cleans my tack after we use it, and she always washes my saddle pads and my boots. She makes sure I have fly boots and a mask and spray.

So, she didn't get a horse or a pony for Christmas when she was little. And she didn't get me for Christmas when she did get a horse, on her own. But she says, now that she has me, every day is like Christmas.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Truer words have never been said, Ted. Every day with a horse is like Christmas.!!

Ted, I am speechless. You sure have a great way of telling a tale...I am on a similar path as your mother, and wondering if post-doc'ing in the UK is worth the trade-off of spending another Christmas without a horse of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey91 View Post
    aww, this is an adorable picture!

Quote Originally Posted by heatherny2 View Post
    Truer words have never been said, Ted. Every day with a horse is like Christmas.!!

Agree Ted
    My Mookie had that opinion with me too. he knew that we'd come to an agreement eventually that involved Peeps or Koolaid.
    Last edited by Giveitwellie; Dec. 28, 2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Hi, my story is on page one of this thread, here are some pictures of that Christmas Day when I got Firelove.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...hristmas89.jpg This is me realizing what is being given to me

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...enFirelove.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...nFirelove2.jpg Taking Firelove out on the front yard for photo op!

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...Layingdown.jpg This was a picture of Firelove at our county fair the first year I had leased her

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...lazeasbaby.jpg This is a photo of Firelove's surprise baby that was born in Oct of 1990. Here he is only about 10 hours old.

Colleen, I loved your pics. Thanks for sharing!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    I know all this because she told me. And sometimes when I am being, well, Ted, she says, "ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS RAKING THOSE @#%*&~%#!@ LEAVES TO SAVE MONEY FOR MY HORSE AND THINKING ABOUT THE HORSE I WOULD HAVE AND YOU DON'T DESERVE IT."
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    I have heard this story many times and was in the part at the end. My mom wanted a horse of her own ever since she was almost two years old, the first time she ever saw a real live equine, at a 4th of July parade less than two weeks before her 2nd birthday. It was a palomino, and the man was riding western, so I bet the horse was a quarter horse, so I don't know WHY that would have impressed her, but it did. My adopted grandparents are not horsey. At all. And they didn't have much money. And she lived in the suburbs, and when she was three they had the lawyer across the street explain zoning laws which meant she couldn't have a pony in her backyard. At five, she entered the Charleston Chew pony giveaway (write in 25 words or less why you need to win a pony) about a zillion times, I bet that is how she learned to write so early, because she wanted that pony so much. She thought that Susan Seidenspinner, who was a year ahead of her in school, and whose grandad had a pony for her at their house (a grandfather clause?), was a goddess because she had a pony of her own, even though she said later she realized SUsan didn't like the pony very much. When she was 8 and 9, her mom and dad would once in a while take her to Breakfast at Belmont, where she FINALLY got to see some REAL HORSES in action. She never was boy crazy, but she did write a fan letter to my grand dad, Secretariat, after he won the Triple Crown. She got her first riding lesson when she was 11, at Bethpage Stables, because her mom fixed it with the hair salon to cut her long hair REALLY short when she asked them not to, and she wouldn't speak to her mom for three days, and so, because her mom was really very sorry, she said she would give her riding lessons. Grandma would sit in the car and not look because horses scared her, and she kept asking my mom if she didn't really want tennis lessons? Every year, for every birthday (July) and every Christmas, my mom asked for a horse. Or a pony. Finally, her dad said it wasn't the cost of the horse, it was the upkeep (for not knowing anything about horses, he was pretty smart about that, eh?). And if she saved $3000, he would buy her the horse. Well, that was tough for my mom, and kind of led to some political activism, because she couldn't get a paper route because she was a girl (when she found out a neighborhood boy who was flunking out of elementary school and 6 years her junior got the route, she was MAD and she wrote her senators and congressmen, who did nothing). So all she could do was babysit (and she didn't like babies) and rake leaves and shovel snow. She was very, very, very cheap. She didn't buy makeup or clothes or anything like that. And she did save up $3000...but then she had to use it to pay tuition at college. SHe did ride on the team at school, but back then there was no Chapter Nine (is that like in a book or something?) and so they were pretty bad. And then she had to make a choice, and she went to graduate school, but it was in New York City and of course there was no time or money on a graduate fellowship for horses. Then she went to Boston to live on a $16,000 before taxes post doctoral fellowship, and there was no money for horses. Then she moved to St. Louis where she got a job at a university, and she thought about it, but she had no money in the bank and she had to set up her lab. And then one day she hurt her back because she had a knee injury the doctor said wasn't a problem (well, he was WRONG). And when she realized how serious it was, she said, "I AM GOING TO GET MY HORSE." The doctor told her maybe in a year, she could get a Missouri Fox Trotter. Instead, she got me, 6 months later. The first time I saw her was April 13. It was the day after Easter, that year. She had a treat in the pocket of her zippered pullover. That's how I knew she was okay.

I know all this because she told me. And sometimes when I am being, well, Ted, she says, "ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS RAKING THOSE @#%*&~%#!@ LEAVES TO SAVE MONEY FOR MY HORSE AND THINKING ABOUT THE HORSE I WOULD HAVE AND YOU DON'T DESERVE IT." But she doesn't mean that. I know. I know because she comes out to visit me just about every day, and it's a long drive and she spends a lot of time at work first. She always makes sure I have my supplements, that I am okay, that I have my treats, that my hooves are okay. She lets me out to graze by the pond and hangs with me even when it is cold. She runs around after Christmas and Halloween to get me peeps on sale. She always cleans my tack after we use it, and she always washes my saddle pads and my boots. She makes sure I have fly boots and a mask and spray.

So, she didn't get a horse or a pony for Christmas when she was little. And she didn't get me for Christmas when she did get a horse, on her own. But she says, now that she has me, every day is like Christmas.

Well said, now I am in tears. Congrats for finally getting your boy.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~