The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Request Info on NSH - please

I have heard (been told) the National Show Horse is an arab saddlebred cross. Is this a registered breed? I own a mare of this breeding. When I bought her I had never heard of the NSH.

Now that I have her, I am thrilled to death with this combination. I have always liked arabs but thought they were a little fine for me. (I am short, but overweight). My mare suits and fits me perfectly. Her gaits are wonderful and I am getting a lot of encouragement as to her dressage potential because of these gaits.

Thoughts or experiences to share would be most welcome.

P.S. If I knew how to post a picture, I would

You're correct in the breeding and they can be wonderful horses and so I hope you have a great time doing dressage with her
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Yes the NSH has a registry and horses can be registered with them, their web page is http://www.nshregistry.org/

Or your horse could be double registered with the Arabian Horse Registry or International Arabian Horse Registry as a half arabian.

I am guessing maybe when you bought your mare she wasn't registered as you would have gotten the papers to transfer them to you???

Either way they are very cool horses, hope you enjoy her I bet she moves beautifully

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post
    Yes the NSH has a registry and horses can be registered with them, their web page is http://www.nshregistry.org/

Or your horse could be double registered with the Arabian Horse Registry or International Arabian Horse Registry as a half arabian.

I am guessing maybe when you bought your mare she wasn't registered as you would have gotten the papers to transfer them to you???

Either way they are very cool horses, hope you enjoy her I bet she moves beautifully

Thanks! She is registered as a Half Arab, but not NSH. I will look in to that!

I own an elderly NSH, and he is one of my absolute favorite horses ever. He is smart, forward, fun, and loves his work. He works as a lesson horse now, and at age 26 he is always ready to go! Though he was ridden saddle seat in his younger days, he has been adaptable and willing since the first day we had him. I am sure he is more supple now than he was at 20, but you have to be careful asking for a canter from a sitting trot, as he is still able to pop in a hell of a road trot! I think that if he had been developed as a dressage horse from his younger days that he would have been extremely suitable. Enjoy your mare-- I'd love to see a picture!

Default I Hope this works

I just tried to join and use photobucket. I hope this link works so you can see my mare.

http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/g...view=slideshow

nice, and btw you're not overweight!

Default Was the stallion nominated?

I was given an Arab/ASB cross when he was 3 yo because he was only able to be registered as a half Arabian. That is what I was told and I never bothered to check it out. Supposedly the Arab stallion needed to be nomiated for whatever so the offspring could be registered as a NSH.

Your girl is beautiful, I think you look good together. My guy is a tricky little pill. Never to be trusted, but he never quits when on a trail ride and he has never been lame in the 11 years I have had him. To be honest though, had I known his personality would be this way, I would have sold him years ago. Now we're like a grumpy married couple, can't live with him and can't live without him.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

They can be less than half of each breed if the parents are both reg'd NSH. Last I knew, NSH was disappearing and the ASB was filling the gap with a 1/2 bred book? I haven't looked into it in a long while. In my opinion/experience, the NSH registration is overpriced, and of no real use in the Sport world. I never transferred that one, just the Arab papers. Now, I looked into it about 20 years ago... CERTAINLY things might have changed since then!

My first adult horse, my first serious FEI prospect, was an NSH mare. 16h, blood bay without a speck of white. She had a passage to make you cry and bring chills... and it was a true one--through the back.

Obviously you have to watch for leg movers in such a cross. She was not. In fact, at the last Inspection where two of her offspring were presented, on both, the Inspector commented on their use of their back and their neck and shoulders, and how well they come up 'through' the back and USE the neck to elevate.. and they are lovely, but ain't got nothin' on Mum.

She cracked her pelvis at age 7 or 8. I'll never know if she would've made it. She was working single changes and the P's. Instead, she has led me down a different path entirely and has produced 8 amazing foals for me. All who have been presented for Inspection have won Gold, Silver or Bronze.

A very well known BNT made noises sight unseen that I'd never get my new young horse to upper levels being a 1/2 Arab, 'tight back, one less vertabrae, yadda-yadda...' Then was at the farm one day when she was turned out, saw her move, and completely unprompted, said how much he loved 'that mare' and what was her breeding? Trakehner? Dutch?

InnisFaeth is irreplaceable and priceless. I often think how different my life would be if she were not injured. I'm *sure* I would have market hopped and moved up in my former career, and be somewhere quite, quite different now.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

AZ DQ your mare is gorgeous and you look like you fit each other extremely well. She looks like I imagine my old man might have in his youth--except that he is a pinto and has one blue eye!

AzDQ--I just was able to see your photos now, what a lovely, lovely mare!

You two look great!

my mare is a half arab and a NSH...love the cross...they are an extremely popular cross for the half arab breeds...
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...0E6050007&po=7

don't know if this link will work but here we are warming up for our first ride at third level.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Trixie's mom... WOW!!!! what a GORGEOUS mare. You look FABULOUS!

thank you, pintopiaffe...trixie is a once-in-a-lifetime horse. it is a true priviledge to be her mommy...
    are you gong to sport horse nationals?? we'll be there...we should meet up for a beer!
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

I worked with a gorgeous NSH mare by the stallion Night of Roses. She was difficult- took ages to win her over, but once she trusted that I was *almost* as intelligent as she was she would do anything for me, . Great mare... In 6 months she went from being unrideable to giving longe lessons for beginners. She just had to decide that she wanted to do it for us I miss her- even just staring at her while she was out in a field- such a beauty... Would have made a nice dressage horse.

Outrageous Rose:
    http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=DSC_0575.jpg

Love all the pics. NSH my 1st horse. (back before they were called NSH) Wonderful cross! Yep, she was smart, difficult at times and GAME. Often wish I had her back again to do all the things a horse can do. She wasnt thrilled with the show horse world, and I did not know about competetive trail riding, CDE etc. She would have gone on in anything. Good luck with your lovely mare, and thanks to those who posted. Lovely lovely animals, the gray takes my breath away, my girl looked alot like her with a bit plainer head.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Thanks! She is registered as a Half Arab, but not NSH. I will look in to that!
    To be registered NSH, the stallion must be nominated for the NSH breed. Also, there are bloodtype/DNA requirements. The Saddlebred parent may already have those results on file. If you want to look into getting your mare registered, and want her Saddlebred parent records looked up, I'll be happy to do it for you or get any forms you need for the DNA qualifications. Just PM me.

Thanks to all the responses! I think I will not go through the registration process as I have no plans to breed her or compete more than at local shows. I am really sold on this breed or cross breed though and will continue to follow and see how these horses do in dressage (my favorite discipline).... Not all of us are suited for the warmbloods and if my mare is a typical representation of the NSH, I think this breed could really make a big impact in the dressage world, even if just among us amateurs... BTW - we DId get the High Score award for 2008 in our local dressage club..

Quote Originally Posted by sweet2lula View Post
    I worked with a gorgeous NSH mare by the stallion Night of Roses. She was difficult- took ages to win her over, but once she trusted that I was *almost* as intelligent as she was she would do anything for me, . Great mare... In 6 months she went from being unrideable to giving longe lessons for beginners. She just had to decide that she wanted to do it for us I miss her- even just staring at her while she was out in a field- such a beauty... Would have made a nice dressage horse.

Outrageous Rose:
    http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=DSC_0575.jpg

Love the Night of Roses horses! Here is my old Night of Roses son, Legerdemain:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/15016...81155259PqMWSj

I had to sell him (darn those kids that want to eat!) , but I bet he could've been a dressage convert right along with me!

If her Saddlebred parent was registered, your mare can be registered with the Half Saddlebred Registry of America.

http://www.asha.net/files/halfsaddlebredregapp.pdf

The American Saddlebred Horse Association has an FEI Disciplines awards program that Half Saddlebreds are eligible for. It is a one time fee of $25 and you must be a member of the ASHA in the year you want to participate in the awards program.