The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Does your BO give out cards, presents, or what?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes a personal card

18 14.52%
  • Yes a personal present

58 46.77%
  • A card addressed to everyone at the barn

1 0.81%
  • Nothing

47 37.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your BO give presents or cards? Or nothing?

A poll please, for comparison

They host a party for all, quite lavish, actually. And a card.

With up to 75 head at home and a substantial numer of meet at show clients, they'd need to win the lottery to give personal gifts.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

We have 27 horses at the barn and the BO gave all horse shampoo this year. Too cute and very unexpected!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Not necessarily a "personal" gift per se in the sense of individual to you - usually the same thing to EVERYONE - Home made cookies and a minor gift - this year baseball cap with barn logo. Really nice of them. I would not feel slighted if they did not give us anything. I just give them my best wishes, and occasionally - if I have the opportunity - some sort of food gift.

Not a "personal" present... but every year they get a gift for everyone in the barn, usually engraved/embroidered with the farm name. We've gotten fleece jackets, L.L.Bean totes, saddle pads... Very generous!

No presents here for horse owners this year at our place... but the horses all get a fantastic fruit treat at midnight tonight... it's the best we can do.

Of course...all year long we feed second cutting hay, supplements and daily wormer to all who reside here along with cookies everynight at tuck-in... so it's kind of Christmas everyday here for the horses.

Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

Ours threw a chili party for us and we all got little bags of homemade cookies. (At least I think they're cookies, they might be horse treats--probably should have asked. Guess I'll have to bite into one and find out.) I wouldn't expect a present from them after how little money they make at the business, and how much time/effort they spend taking care of my horse... but I always get them a gift as a thank you. This year it's just a Tractor Supply gift card, because the darn manure spreader keeps breaking. d;

Catered semi-formal party.
    <><

I got a beautiful snowy photograph of my BO and his favorite horse and 2 of his dogs riding in a snow covered pasture. Beautiful!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Wheres the OTHER option?

Mine gifts gifts every day. My horse is taken care of and get extra attention because hes so darn cute! They (staff) do so much every day thats plenty.

A potluck barn party was arranged for Christmas. Crafts were made for everyone by a staff member, not the BO. Does that count?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

We always got a logo'd Sweatshirt or Turtleneck and a quiche. Half my wardrobe still has Hopeland Farms on it

In my last 12 years of boarding, only 3 were public/commerical barns, the rest were private, gifts were always exchanged. Sometimes, both horse and human received a gift.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

The best a BO could ever give -- a tin of home-made goodies and a year of loving care for our horse!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

My trainer/BO gives all the boarders a gift personalized with the farm logo. Last year it was baby pads; this year we all got t-shirts (very nice ones from L.L. Bean in a cool fabric).

This new barn gave out gifts - lovely etched glass Christmas ornament with the year. I know they had a party for the juniors but I work nights so . . . Old barn gave a quite nice party at the home of the BO with Xmas card.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We've received, bake goods, framed pictures of our horses and this year some really nice thermal travel mugs.
    Last edited by 7HL; Dec. 24, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
    A horse doesn't care how mauch you know, until he knows how much you care.
    - Pat Parelli

Default Interesting perspective!

I don't board anymore since I finally have an acreage and can keep my horses at home, but at the 4 different places I boarded before that, none of them gave out presents or cards at Christmas. (OK, one place would put candy canes on each stall!) Actually, it was usually the other way around ..... boarders tended to give the BO a gift or card in appreciation of the great care their horses received all year!

If you can call January's board bill, a present, then I guess I get one...

We have a nice party with great food, and a fun gift swap. The boarders get a small gift. Usually cheese, or something like that. We also get a card.

The BO at my barn doesn't do anything for us, specifically, but when we come into the barn on the 26th, there are always stockings full of treats by each stall! It's really cute.