The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shadow Rolls

Does anyone have experience using a shadow roll on a spooky horse?

For whatever reason it did not occur to me until now, watching a spooky horse go XC nicely in a shadow roll, that it might help Star, queen of spooking at stuff like footing right before a fence.

Anyone here found them useful (or not?) - I thought they were to limit what they see right under their noses.

I thought it was for horses who tended to go head high. To help them drop their heads a touch to look...

I use one on my high-headed horse...

Hilary, I think the shadow roll up front is "supposed" to keep their heads down, not help with spooking. For horses that spook at things in the periphery, I've seen people use those halter fuzzies on the cheekpieces - could that help?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Firstly, I'm reasonably sure that for some time it was illegal. Janet? I know blinkers are illegal and a shadow roll is sort of a variation on them. And secondly, their purpose it really more to lower a high headed horse as has been stated here. For horses that like to jump the shadows of the wire or the clockers stand or the poles etc on the track, it can be helpful as well, but only so much. Horses can't see what is directly below their now anyway and a shadow roll won't limit their vision to the point that it will obscure footing/flowers/etc that my be spooked at.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Shadow rolls are sometimes used in an attempt to get a horse to lower his head, but they are also used on horses with a tendency to jump shadows or lines on the ground.

Hilary, one of the track horses I rode a loooooooong time ago used to go in a shadow roll...while he didn't spook, it didn't do a thing to prevent him from porpoising or otherwise behaving like a wild March hare.

I know that one of the horses I groomed in '02 competed in a shadow roll at sanctioned events... so they wern't illegal then, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to legality today...
    I also remember that the purpose was to get the horse to drop its head a bit...not so much to keep it from spooking....

Good luck!
    -Jessica

OK, so maybe it won't help. I thought they were used on harness horses to keep them from spooking at stuff on the ground, and seeing their front hooves in front of their noses. But it does makes senses that it would be an incentive to lower their heads. She doesn't need that.

And I'm pretty sure they are legal in eventing b/c Poggio goes in one, and I've seen others compete in them. I know blinkers and blinders are not legal.

Barnfairy, that's good to know about the horse you had - you know Madame's tendencies!

Where have you seen Poggio in one? He wears a hackamore but not a shadow roll. Shadow rolls are usually 2-3" thick and very very obvious! Either way, I hope you figure something out! Maybe just time. That does wonders.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

They are legal. A friend of mine uses them on her advanced horse. In FEI and USEA and was using it in 2007 and 2008.

I don't know, the picture is blurry but that sure looks like a shadow roll to me: Poggio II

Star is a good girl Hilary, if a bit...exuberant...in her reactions at times. Salty's right there with her in that department! There have been times I've been tempted to slap some blinkers on her........ Wouldn't that be quite the sight in my little ring?

Tried it on Bonnie's mom after she'd inexplicably decided that she did NOT want to jump any more. It was an unmitigated failure, but that's probably because the problem was not visual in her case. It was slightly higher and closer to the center than the eyes.

Now ear plugs, on the other hand, are something I've been quite sold on with Star's Twin Sister. Just enough distraction from the drama of the Big Wide World to get miss Bonnie focusing and tuning out distractions from blowing leaves, rustling grass and that person 500 yards away yelling at her dog. This year we weaned off them but they helped A LOT the last 2 years with distracted inattentive moments.
    Click here before you buy.

Ear plugs do help, and she has grown up -she's 8 now, but still rather over-reactive both visually and aurally.

What made me think of the shadow roll recently besides it being winter and I don't have enough real riding problems to solve.... I saw a video of a horse for sale who is related to Star, competing at King Oak this past spring wearing a very big fuzzy thing on her noseband.

The photo that Barnfairy posted is what made me think of Poggio.

Poggio may have a sheepskin to keep the hack from rubbing. Hacks can be very hard on noses.

A true shadow roll isn't just a sheepie, it's a foam roll that gets higher in the middle and tapers down at the ends and you put a sheepie over that. Poggio's doesn't look like a shadow roll, just a sheepie.

Default compare and discuss

Sheepskin hackamore.

Shadow roll.

And one more time, blurry Poggio.

Okay, so, that may well be a hackamore. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

However, this begs the question:

If the sheepskin on the hackamore is roughly the same size as a shadow roll, would it not serve the same function, even if unintentionally? It doesn't appear to be significantly lower down the nose (specifically on Poggio).

I was about to post something similar. Even if a hackamore covered in fleece is not a shadow roll specifically, if it acts in a similar manner someone could argue (if they were not, in fact, legal) that that it should not be allowed even if its primary purpose is to protect the nose.

I have read the rules and shadow rolls, as we've determined here, are legal in eventing so the above point is moot.

I have also learned that their general use by eventers (lowering a high head carriage) is not something that will likely help my horse's specific issue. This is why I posted. Thank you.

I used a true, honest to goodness shadow roll in 2006 on a Prelim horse at many events, and I believe they are still legal. He had a tendancy to bolt on cross country, but only could get away from me if his head got too high. He wasn't spooky, just high headed and goofy. I bought the shadow roll that I competed in from Mountaineer, it was made for me, although I also galloped some race horses in one idential to it.

RAyers actually saw me on the "shadow roll horse" going cross country, his comment was, "You need a bigger shadow roll." I got the one from the track and it really did work for that horse.

I believe ear plugs and fleece on the cheek pieces are illegal.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Ear plugs are legal in the jumping phases ONLY.
    Click here before you buy.

I love reading this periodic thread....this is about the third time I've read the "shadow roll" debate by (some) people who have no clue what they are and what they do....LMAO..... a hundred years ago everyone who had a family car out back in the garage (ne, carriage horse) knew exactly what they were for and how to put them on! Meant the difference between arriving at church nicely dressed, or with your skirts a muddy mess from being tipped out of the carriage into a mud puddle when Dobbin jumped it in the middle of the road!

There are many different types and shapes. Anything fuzzy worn on the nose meant to restrict vision is a shadow roll, even if it is a "thick" sheepskin nose cover, it's working as a shadow roll. They work to prevent spooking on a moving horse. Prevent a horse from flipping his feet out of the way from an imagined source. Quick, hot horses who get keen are candidates.

Cheek pieces restrict backward vision, better for driving horses, or for horse who jump when dirt clods come out of their own feet and spook them. Sometimes you see the big grand prix jumpers on the outdoor courses wear those. . . (still roflmao) Sorry, can't help it....I can't take it any longer!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    I don't know, the picture is blurry but that sure looks like a shadow roll to me: Poggio II

Star is a good girl Hilary, if a bit...exuberant...in her reactions at times. Salty's right there with her in that department! There have been times I've been tempted to slap some blinkers on her........ Wouldn't that be quite the sight in my little ring?
    Yes, BF a shadow roll it really does look like, but what do I know? ... And I hear ya about slapping on the blinkers! General ran in them, and there are many a day I wish I could put them on him, especially for his dressage work.... I love him, but he's my ADHD horse "what's that over there? Ooooh, THIS looks interesting! But, oh was that a bird?" NOT spooky at all, just very looky and curious about the world around him!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com