The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Did Your Horse Give YOU for Christmas?

I was reading the blog of an acquaintance of mine who was divorced, after a 20-year marriage, six years ago. The sadness in her writings was heart-rending as she wrote about her "broken holiday," trimming her tree alone, her (adult) children having to split time between two households ... Reading her story so broke my heart, and I thought to myself that I wished she'd met someone like King.

Yesterday King posted on Ted's thread about his favorite Christmas present, our first Christmas together. We'd been together for months, but it wasn't until Thanksgiving that I exchanged my sheckels for him and made him "officially" mine. It brought tears to my eyes to realize that on that singularly lonely Christmas morning, we were BOTH jumping for JOY ... both "ransomed" from a previously sad world to celebrate life, friendship and new beginnings together.

It was my first Christmas to be alone after 25 years of marriage and family life and a houseful of kids and craziness on Christmas mornings. The first time I'd had to wake up to an empty house, my family fractured and a long empty day ahead. But I refused to be sad, and will never forget the smile that filled my spirit as I thought, also for the first time in my life, "I have a pony!" What girl can be sad on Christmas morning when she has a pony? As they say, if you are lucky enough to have a horse, you are lucky enough! So, I spent that first Christmas morning with my buddy, and we jumped for joy! We have shared Christmas mornings together ever since ... long after the old guy can no longer jump! Today, our hearts jump for joy to still be friends and pals and still kicking around together on the farm.

Since that first Christmas together, I have had good times and rough times through the holidays. But I have always had King to be my anchor. To remind me of Christmas Joy. This Christmas, I have so much to be thankful for ... but as fate would have it, I am once again alone for Christmas ... and because of King (and Eli), I am perfectly okay with that. We will have Christmas morning in the barn, and I will still be the luckiest girl in the world.

And at the end of the day, I think that is the greatest gift King ever gave me, and believe me he has given me some terrific gifts. But it took an old horse to give me back my Joy. And I am forever grateful.

Merry Christmas, buddy!

As I've said to everyone who has asked me what I might be getting from the DH for Christmas...

I have horses; every day is Christmas!

Amen.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Beautiful post... I agree, just being there is sometimes the greatest gift from our horses... I love the feeling I get when I pull into the barn driveway and see Sam pop his head up, or when he sticks his head in his halter and follows me out of the field so quietly and so tuned in to me... and just periodically having to hug him on the cross-ties because he's so darn cute and fuzzy and sweet, while he squirms and makes the "Mo-oooom..." face. Just having a horse is a huge gift, and though I had to wait a quarter of a century for it, it's still the best gift I've ever given myself.

Yesterday Sadie gave me the gift of her cooperation-- out for a trail ride, cold and windy, so my overactive 55 yr old bladder was even more overactive than usual. Stopped in the woods to pee, not really any good "mounting blocks" except humps of dirt. The horse that wouldnt stand still when I got her took the exact one step when asked that lined her up perfectly so I could stand on the slippy sandy hummock and get right back on her.

Tomorrow I expect the gelding will give me his gift when we go out for our Christmas ride--apt to be muzzle kisses but might include a nice collected canter, or even his beautiful sittable trot that I havent quite figured out how to ask for.

On a less sappy note, my cute and fuzzy horse also completely and systematically demolished ten T-posts this week, so my other Christmas gift from him, besides his cute and fuzzy presence, is a trip to Tractor Supply to buy my BOs ten new T-posts and some hot tape. Merry Christmas to you too, Sam.

Staying alive and safe.The few hours I spent not knowing if my mare was alive or not-the new area I moved to was caught in flash floods and a few horses down the road lost their lives. You never realize how much a horse means to you, unless you realize you could have lost them. Hmm sometimes the same goes for humans too I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    On a less sappy note, my cute and fuzzy horse also completely and systematically demolished ten T-posts this week, so my other Christmas gift from him, besides his cute and fuzzy presence, is a trip to Tractor Supply to buy my BOs ten new T-posts and some hot tape. Merry Christmas to you too, Sam.
    Sarah I wouldn't have thought Sam had it in him!!!

Well we all know the joy that Dan brought me this year, but I think the most unexpected gift came in the form of one skinny grey gelding named Windsor. I was ready to give up on horses and only took him in because he had no other option.

Nursing him back to health was at first, just going through the motions.... Now I look forward to our daily chats and grooming sessions and the fact that the grumpy old man who puts on a crabby face for most others, greets me with a whinny and pricked ears.

He's given me hope, and taught me what resiliency is.

So hat's off to the old man. Dan is an impossible act to follow, but Win has done a pretty good job of being just what I need right now.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I got a nicker for Christmas. On Sunday I went out to the barn to see Pixie, after 2.5 horseless weeks (combination of a business trip, the stomach flu from hell, and a week of freezing rain). It was hovering around 10F, with a below 0 wind chill. I walk in the barn and Pixie sticks her head over her stall door and nickers She is not the affectionate type (except when it's that time of the month, then she loffs everyone), so that nicker just made me melt. We had a nice grooming and scratching session, which Pixie just ate up, with lots of funny "oooo, that's the spot" faces. Again, this is very out of character, so maybe the little redhead actually missed me (and my apples!)

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Dumplin' Guest

I give mom soft nuzzle kisses and nickers. She says she's been waiting something like 42 years for them so I give her lots to make up for all that

My mare gave me a beautiful bareback canter down the side of our long country road this morning. We stopped and visited with cows and dogs, waved to the neighbors, and spooked at a shadow that took us all the way across the road without breaking rhythm. We scrambled up and down the banks of our very own sunken road, passed cars on a long, loopy rein, and nuzzled the neighbor's horses across the fence. It was pure bliss. Sometimes I see how talented she is and forget how much fun she is!

And the pony, despite being the devil in pint-size packaging, makes every morning feel like Christmas morning. When I trudge out into the dark, cold morning to feed the animals, I never have to search for the horses in the field because I am always greeted with the loudest, most excited whinny when that little girl catches sight of me. And when I drive home from an awful day at work, that pony always comes galloping across the field at the sight of my car, and whinnies hysterically until I come and pet her. She may be the devil to ride, and she may be plain evil to the big mare and the dogs, but it just makes me feel good inside to have someone who is always thrilled to see me! Someday, when she calms down under saddle, she is going to make some little girl feel very, very special.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Sarah I wouldn't have thought Sam had it in him!!!

Well we all know the joy that Dan brought me this year, but I think the most unexpected gift came in the form of one skinny grey gelding named Windsor. I was ready to give up on horses and only took him in because he had no other option.

Nursing him back to health was at first, just going through the motions.... Now I look forward to our daily chats and grooming sessions and the fact that the grumpy old man who puts on a crabby face for most others, greets me with a whinny and pricked ears.

He's given me hope, and taught me what resiliency is.

So hat's off to the old man. Dan is an impossible act to follow, but Win has done a pretty good job of being just what I need right now.
    Sam is, at heart, a pony. d;

I think Windsor was Dan's gift to you... to let you know that for all that horses bring us, it's nice to be able to give something back to them when they really need it...

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Sam is, at heart, a pony. d;

I think Windsor was Dan's gift to you... to let you know that for all that horses bring us, it's nice to be able to give something back to them when they really need it...
    I think you are right. Dan was, truly, the ultimate bright spot in a very difficult year. There will never be another like him.

And in him giving so much to me, it was nice to be able to "pay it forward" in a way, with Windsor.

Truth is that when it comes down to it, I think I needed Win, more than he needed me!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

What Did Your Horse Give YOU for Christmas?

The gift of soundness...

What they give me every day. Trav - his kindess and wisdom. Rico - his nickers and entertaining antics.

I would not know what to do without them.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

....waaaaaaait...you gotta give THEM something? I thought it was one way, her to me.

Whooopps.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Max gave me all four hooves (including his bete noire, the left front) without hesitation and with enthusiasm.

My baby (my 5 y/o gelding, Puppy, my show horse) got well enough to come home from the Iowa State vet hospital on Monday afternoon. Best Christmas present I've ever received.

My little mustang Zephyr whom I call the Most Beautiful Young Horse, actually stood still for me to climb on bareback from a big rock and ride up from the pasture in 2 feet deep snow with just a halter and lead rope. Never did that before and she was an absolute angel. Woodrow gave me a big hug with his big ol' head. I love that guy.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

My guy gave me a pretty amazing gift on Christmas eve.

I was headed out in the late morning to turn him out. Our driveway is long about a 1/4 mile. My fiance' and my oldest daughter (6) and I were going to head into town to see a movie so I had them drive down the driveway ahead of me so I could just hop into the car after I turned out my big guy.

He was a little frisky and did a fun spin and a couple bucks as he was let loos into the pasture. He had so much fun that I took a couple extra seconds to watch his antics, and then I hopped into the car and we drove off.

Not far down the road we have a blind corner and another street headed directly off the corner. As we drove towards the corner a car came racing straight through the corner into the connecting road at around 60 mph. The car was about 2 feet from our bumper.

My daughter and fiance' were on that side of the car and I have no doubt that if my horse hadn't decided to act silly in the pasture, that big old muscle car would have plowed right through our little Mercury and changed our lives forever.

A few years ago, my mare gave me a right lead. It was awesome. Possibly one of my favorite gifts that year.

This year, I have been impossibly busy, and have had only a few minutes here and there to stop by, brush, and pat. I haven't ridden her in about three weeks, on only lightly for a few weeks before that. I was dying to at least get on Tuesday, even though I only had about 1/2 an hour at the barn. I gave her a 2 minute lunge to make sure she hadn't gone crazy on me, and hopped on bareback. We meandered around pleasantly for about 10 minutes, and even when one of the training horses had a temper tantrum, she just cast a withering glance at the "whippersnapper." It was so nice to enjoy a few minutes on a horse, and her nice calm demeanor after 3 weeks left to her own devices was a gift for sure!