The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you feed Aloe Vera Juice?

For those that use it... do you feed it or administer it with or without food? once a day? twice a day? and do you think this makes a difference in any possible effectiveness???

I've always heard it was twice a day, with food.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Question

Does anyone feed the dry aloe and if so why or why not.
    Last edited by Eventer55; Dec. 24, 2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I feed it at a 1:2 ratio of applesause to aleo juice with 15 pills of papya twice a day at feeding or when his stomach is really acting up I add a full dose of raniditine and feed 3 times a day. I radomly add sliced up real papya, carrots, mineral oil, ect. as needed. This horse is not feed any grain, only supplements (which he eats by themself), he has grain intolerance

Default How much do you feed?

Have heard anywhere from 2 ounces to 1 cup...?

Where do you find it? I have seen WalMart and Sams mentioned, but I wandered around a superstore the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. So where do they hide it?

Thanks,

Dressagerose

I feed 1 cup once daily mixed in with her other supplements and pellets. I get gallon jugs at Trader Joe's or Walmart. Both are around $7 a gallon. From the local health food store it is $14 a gallon, I only go there if it is an absolute emergency. Walmart keeps it in the health department, Trader Joe's with the juices. Both usually on the bottom shelf.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Default depends where I am at!!

At shows I do 6- 8 oz 2 X's a day But at home it is mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with papaya puree
    Then I give 2 OZ 2 'xs day
    And if your shopping look in the health food or vitamin aisle.

Does Whole Foods have papaya and in what section?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Sam's Club has the aloe juice on the same aisle with the supplements/vitamins/medications. I used to feed 1 cup 2x/day, but stopped feeding it when I scaled back the supplement usage. Unnecessaries went, and I've seen no difference in the overall health of any of mine since.

A racehorse friend who is married to a vet swears by Aloe to combat diarrhea - and I usually believe what she says because she refers back to her husband a lot.

My friend's vet says 2 oz per day. She mixes it into the mare's feed. They seem to like it.

At WalMart I've seen it on the bottom shelf in an aisle near the pharmacy.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Walgreens carries it, also. I just splash 1 cup twice a day on the grain. Some horses initially turn up their noses, but they all get used to it.

I've fed it to all horses whether they need it or not. I recall somewhere on this board a couple of years ago that you can order Aloe in pellet form. Do an archives check.

I buy the juice at Wal-Mart on one of the the bottom shelves in the pharmacy section. I usually measure out 1/2 cup and mix it into their grain once per day. If we will be travelling/showing, then I up the aloe to 1 cup per day, split between the AM and PM feedings.

We have one on aloe and she gets 1/2 cup a.m. and p.m. mixed with her feed. We get the big jugs from Wal-Mart.

I've seen the aloe cause diarrea in some horses. It also has worked well on others. I think it's a 1/2 cup aloe, up to 1 cup. 2x/day. If you do papaya, a 1/4 to 1/2 cup. 2x/day. I've had better success with the papaya.
    Papaya juice can be found in the "natural food" section of most grocery stores. Whole foods has it in the normal juice section. Stomach Soother is also pretty much papaya- stomachsoother.com.
    Aloe in wal-mart in the pharmacy section. Can also get George's Bitter Free Aloe at natural food stores if your horse doesn't like aloe.

We use to own one who I fed a cup to once a day for his dry skin. It seemed to work really well. I found it at Walmart and Walgreens. I fed him a small coffee can of oats mixed in with it, and he ate it up. Never had a problem feeding it to him.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

I feed the George's aloe and I put a pump in the gallon jug and mine gets 4 pumps twice a day, this probably is a little bit less than 4 oz/feeding. The George's doesn't need refrigeration and this method makes it easy since I board my horse. I use it myself and it has no taste. While a little more expensive, not having to refrigerate makes it do-able, and when there are coupons/free shipping from Vitamin Shoppe it is significantly cheaper than the local health food store.

The local health food store also sells papaya puree which is manufactured by the same company that markets Stomach Soother, but it is half the price in the 'human' version.

Default twice a day with feed

But I only feed a small little scoop like maybe an oz. My one horse who is a cribber seems to be doing better, but he gets a ton of stuff for it. Raniditine, aloe juice, oat flour and brewer's yeast.
    My other TB is getting it also and he never seemed ulcerish, but about 2 weeks after putting him on the aloe he decided he would like to go on walkabouts in the pasture. He HATES being ridden outside the ring. Usually has a melt down. But, since the aloe he's been asking to go for walks. He does use it as an opportunity to "show" me all the crap I need to do in the field, so that is the upshot for him. (mom, these fly masks need to be picked up, can you please fix this loose board)
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/