The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I have an agressive farm dog plus typical JR's. Anyone used Bark Busters Dog Training

I'm thinking about using Bark Busters Dog Training service. I have 2 typical JR's who are best friends sometimes & then turn on each other. But they're not the problem. I rescued a bulldog/boxer type earlier this year. Sweet dog to people but she doesn't get along with another female dog, my 6 yr old Catahoola (I know I spelled that wrong) cattle dog (another rescue). They've had some absolutely terrible fights in the past & it's getting worse. Bulldog even grabbed one of my JR's yesterday. No telling what I'd have done to her if she hadn't turned my JR loose. Luckily I was standing right there & jumped into the fight & (hate to say it) but choked the bulldog until she turned my JR loose. In my eyes she's committed the cardinal sin by grabbing the JR. My JR's are my babies. She's such a cool dog other times though. Loves people but it's time for her to go. Friends & family say to euthanize her due to her agressive tendencies but I feel that I need to try to train her.
    Anyway, how about Bark Busters? Anyone?
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

A friend of mine used a shock collar for the aggressive dog in her family when she brought home a puppy. It only took a couple times she had to use it and now she has absolutely no problems with the aggressive dog. The dog now accepts the puppy and any other dogs that come to the house. It made me a believer that these things can work for the good of the dog. Good luck. I hope this helps. If you are worried about using a shock collar then I would suggest looking at getting a professional dog trainer that works with aggression issues to help you too.

Sounds like you have pack problems. I had a JRT and they can be tough. They push their dominance on others and a lot of the times, the other dogs do not welcome a tiny little dog pushing them around. I know first hand. I had a JRT and a Great Dane. The JRT was completely the leader. Luckily, the GD was VERY submissive and did not mind having his whole life ruled by his little friend.

I think you can try the dog training route as mentioned, but you may not be able to make them all get along. Some never do get over it, if they can't establish a pecking order. You may need to remove one of them from the situation. I am assuming that would be the boxer mix. I would try bark busters first. Just because she has a personality conflict with a JRT, I would not just label her aggressive. She may just need to be in a home as an only dog or with a more submissive partner.

Yeah it's not really the JR that she's normally agressive with, it's the bigger cow dog. One day I know they'll fight to the death & the fact that my male chow got in on the fight 2 days ago was very suprising as he's normally so calm. Boxer/bulldog is getting worse overall. More frequent fighting, taking a "pushy" stance towards other dogs, etc. I wish I could find her another home as she loves people.

Yeah. My mom has 6 hounds at once (3 PBGV's/ 2 Bassets and a Bloodhound). Only one is a female and boy can she be a giant pain in the rear. She is very much the boss of them all. The females can be very difficult, if they feel like someone is not respecting their authority. She may just not be able to cope in such an active household. If she is really good with people, then you may have to rehome her as good with people, no other dogs. Good luck.

A friend of mine used Bark Busters for her dogs a few years ago, and she thought it helped quite a bit. The guy came to her house and spent a long time working with the dogs and showing her how to use the training methods herself. Her dogs were not aggressive, though.

That being said, it sounds like your dogs may not be a good fit together. It might be better to find the one dog a new home that suits her better, rather than have a tragedy one day when your back is turned.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    A friend of mine used Bark Busters for her dogs a few years ago, and she thought it helped quite a bit. The guy came to her house and spent a long time working with the dogs and showing her how to use the training methods herself. Her dogs were not aggressive, though.

That being said, it sounds like your dogs may not be a good fit together. It might be better to find the one dog a new home that suits her better, rather than have a tragedy one day when your back is turned.
    We used Bark Busters. We had them out to help with a barking issue -- not an aggression issue. He spent a nice amount of time with us and the dogs and gave us some tools to work with (water spray bottles and bags with chains in them for throwing). Worked great. But again, I didn't have any aggression issues -- our dogs even eat from the same bowl with no issues.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Why bother?? In less than a year the rescue bulldog mix has attacked one of your Jacks and the fights between her and your cattle dog are getting worse. Move the rescue dog out- a new home where she lives with no other dogs or to a humane passing.

We had a very dominant toy poodle and all other dogs would never even think of lifting an eyebrow to her, so there was always peace.
    At that time we had, all females, a saint bernard, rottie, dobie, norwegian elkhound, a very old aussie, two more small poodles and never had a fight, but all gave that little terror a wide berth, even when she was the youngest of them.

A very dominant dog is only a problem if the other dogs won't defer completely to her.
    I would guess your two females are not quite sure who needs to back off and that is trouble brewing.

Remember, if they really don't like each other, why make them live together?
    Be it dogs, horses or people, when there is that kind of serious friction, it is better for all to have one gone from the mix.

Only you know how serious they are, but their problems, for what you say, seem serious enough to be dangerous.

I've got several calls out to people who hopefully can help me place the bulldog. I'm sick about having to give her away but if she grabbed one of my JR's again she could easily kill it & then I'd be REALLY sick. The cow dog can handle herself but my home is my place of peace where I escape from the rest of the world. I certainly don't want to continue to deal with this issue.

Honestly, I think you're making a wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Honestly, I think you're making a wise choice.

I agree, and this is the very reason that when folks want to give me another cat or dog, I tell them NO. I have peace in my home and I'm not going to disturb that by bringing in another animal, not right now.

I know. This is what I get for rescuing ever stray that I see. It will kill me to give her away but don't know what else to do. Of course I might not be able to find a place for her. I guess I'll just have to wait & see what happens. I still think she'll be a great dog in another household that has no other dogs & she absolutely loves the horses. Sits with them all day.

Place the bulldog. She will be happier, you will be happier and your other dogs will be happier.

If things are getting worse they are going in the wrong direction and when it comes to bitch fights, the girls mean it. I would NOT do that to the dogs or myself.