The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ice storms in MO and environs

so worried...I'm in NJ now, emailed our trainer who said the ice was so bad they didn't bring the horses in for grain, just gave them tons of hay.

I know it's supposed to warm up (it's all relative, of course)...so everyone who's dealing with this sort of thing, please be careful and stay safe!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

It's the usual winter yo-yo, but today hasn't been anything like the Great Ice Storm (TM) of Jan 2007. This morning and at noon, it was solidly ice coated, very slick, and I had to navigate carefully feeding critters. The barn cats just don't understand that people don't come equipped with automatically retractable crampons like they do. But mid afternoon, it turned, and it's actually 40 degrees right now. I imagine all will be melted in the morning.

The horses were stuffed into their round bale and didn't seem to care.

Where in Missouri? My horse is in Jeff City right now (and I am home in VA for the holidays). Are there ice storms in Mid-Missouri? The weather was yucky when I left, but all the snow/ice had just melted. Aaagh. Now I'm going to be worrying.

Poor Ted!

I hope he's drinking lots of water and has a stash of peeps in his run in.

Everyone please ask your BOs to make some grain tea, aqua dulce, for all to get lots of water in all those 100 ft guts.

From Columbia east it is 'warm' - but KC is 15 degrees. It is not supposed to be really, really cold for the next few days. We got some ice last night, but it actually slowly warmed up overnight, so now it's just wet. Not sure exactly where you are....

We got off the plane at KCI on Sunday evening to 0 degrees. Brr. Yesterday, we didn't go anywhere as the roads were too icy - someone slid off the road right in front of my dad's house! This makes me glad I don't keep horses in MO anymore - I am SUCH a cold wimp ever after moving to TX!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Didja get the "you know?"
    www.specialhorses.org

MO may have had ice, but 'the environs' are fine.

There was some ice yesterday early in the day, but it warmed up as the day went on and it got above freezing in KC. Overnight it iced up a bit and this morning there was snow, but less than an inch. It's above freezing again now. The high tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40s. Friday may hit 60. And Saturday may snow again.

I wanna ride my pony - and I have no idea when the ground is going to be safe enough to do so! I don't ride him on ice, and then it gets so warm so fast that it turns into a squishy mess.
    Incredible Invisible

Default Emergency Generator

I have a friend who lives in New England. I asked how she did with the big storm up there earlier this month. She was OK, but said that her neighbor used their Prius as an emergency generator. They have a means of hooking their furnance and a few lights to the battery on the car and use the car as a generator. I questioned the gas situation and she said that running the car all day only took one gallon of gas. Might be a way to run the pumps for the barns and houses out there.

I thought it was an ingenious idea.

I live up in New England and NY got it really bad. A ton of friends lost their power. We had to go to NY two days after the storm and the trees were covered with ice. I took some pics of it and whenever someone sees them they are shocked.

We are going to have flash floods and a cold front tonight! I hope mom freaks out and buys me lots of stuff in a fit of guilt.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Yikes Ted! How could she leave you alone out there while she is back east eating peeps?

Come south for next Christmas, the grass is sprouting and you can have all the peeps, cause Cloudy is not allowed to eat any of them. But don't touch the oranges and apples.

Record high Christmas day, in the 80s. warm and foggy here. Come South, but bring us some snow.

Ted, quit scaring your mom. In KC it was 65 degrees at 8 o'clock this evening. It can't be that bad where you are. We may have what is euphemistically called a "wintery mix" overnight, but it will be back up above freezing tomorrow and 60 again by Tuesday.

The only real problem is that it warmed up too fast. The ground is a sea of mud, and the cold barns are full of condensation. I took a can of hoof conditioner out of my tack locker and nearly dropped it; I had to wipe down the whole thing because the temp had warmed up so much faster than the contents of the can.
    Incredible Invisible

Ted forgets his mom can email everyone still in St.Louis and find out the Truth, because apparently www.weather.com does not always predict well 12 hours out.

I'm sure he spent the day snoozing in the heat. *sigh*
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    We are going to have flash floods and a cold front tonight! I hope mom freaks out and buys me lots of stuff in a fit of guilt.
    Jeez, Ted. Get a grip already. What are you gonna do when you get to law school and it snows? skip class?

I mean really. If Willem's mom was out of town, he'd be in the hot tub with his mannie, mannie mare friends and mister herr policeman would be wanting to talk to him about the noise and strewn garments. Think OPPORTUNITY!

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Didja get the "you know?"
    I did! I did! Thank you, thank you!

(I wasn't able to get online for a few days - my computer doesn't like the wireless at my mom's house).

The weather was up and down while we were there. We have two family farms near Tipton, MO (Anyone ever heard of Tipton?) and we couldn't go down to the farms thanks to the icky weather. BUT I got to spoil my horse-crazy niece. I told her if she could talk her parents into moving to Texas, I had a horse with her name on it. My brother did not appreciate that...

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    The weather was up and down while we were there. We have two family farms near Tipton, MO (Anyone ever heard of Tipton?) and we couldn't go down to the farms thanks to the icky weather. BUT I got to spoil my horse-crazy niece. I told her if she could talk her parents into moving to Texas, I had a horse with her name on it. My brother did not appreciate that...

I know where Tipton MO is! And hey, there are worse places.......I think......

As for your brother - aren't paybacks fun? It's just like giving loud musical instruments to children in order to get back at their parents. And just look at the good you are doing by helping that little girl keep her horsey dreams alive .

Geek, it was nearly 60 in KC today. If your pastures look like hours, right now Ted is one big, hairy mudball. Because of course all the horses (including the white one, naturally) decided that they were solar-powered ponies and that they had to lay down full length in the mud to recharge their batteries. And then roll over and get some sun on the other side, too.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I know where Tipton MO is! And hey, there are worse places.......I think......

As for your brother - aren't paybacks fun? It's just like giving loud musical instruments to children in order to get back at their parents. And just look at the good you are doing by helping that little girl keep her horsey dreams alive .
    Not many people know where Tipton is - or they know only because of the prison. I don't spend any time in town, but I LOVE our farms and wish my husband would get a job at MU so we could build a house on one of the farms... and then I would have over 1,000 acres to go riding on (only a small part would be ours, the rest belongs to family members). I dream...

And yes, paybacks are great. And since we have no kids, it is much harder for him to retaliate..... I just wish we saw them more.