The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saving magazine articles

I try to keep all my old horse magazines for reference. But, I'm running out of space in my closet, so I need to toss some out while still saving the valuable articles.

What is the best way to save the good articles? I would be willing to make copies of some pages if the article is continued on the back of a page (not just an ad)

Thanks!
    BDC

I have a big three ring binder and use the clear plastic inserts (page covers) that you can slide the pages into - with those you can see front and back, or arrange them however you want.

I use dividers to divide up my binder into categories - horse health, jumping clinic, general riding tips, etc.

Now my boyfriend who is a bit of a computer nerd scans his articles and saves them in folders on his hard drive. But that is too tech-y for me. But it is the best solution if you don't want to store any papers or anything.

I do exactly what PinkPonies suggests! I refer to it as my "bible" and often photocopy articles from it for friends.
    Cindy

If you don't want to go the plastic sleeve and binder route -- which is quite elegant, BTW -- but then you can amass a bunch of binders after a while.

My system requires a filing cabinet or a container of some kind. I used to cut out the articles with an exacto blade and then file them into subject folders. Which I put in a file drawer rig.

Some of the file cabinets that you can get these days are quite attractive and can serve as end tables.

Of course, the drawback here is the growing and dreaded "round-tuit" pile of articles to be filed, if you don't keep up with them. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

Can you scan them and store them on your computer? Or transfer them to a disk?

Being a one-horse owner, I have a binder for Sam where I keep all of his info, records, receipts, etc. So I have a section at the back to do the plastic-sleeved articles. But I don't have much space so I have to be discriminating. d; And somehow I still end up saving the darn magazines themselves...

Efficiency experts tell us to only handle an item -- like an incoming piece of paper -- once.

So, ideally, we should see the article, read the article and then extract the article for saving.

But then other efficiency experts say that we should "batch process" our work. So, in that perspective, we still have the "round tuit file," only we schedule action for it into the day.

Dueling efficiency experts. Not particularly efficient.

Anyway, I do the file thing because I research a lot of things. Otherwise, I'd have a library of binders for different things. One for recipes, one for horse stuff, one for travel tips, etc.

Default Quickly.......

Scan them and save them to TWO CD's or DVD's.

Off to volunteering ... Merry Christmas
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

Quote Originally Posted by mybeau1999 View Post
    I try to keep all my old horse magazines for reference. But, I'm running out of space in my closet, so I need to toss some out while still saving the valuable articles.

What is the best way to save the good articles? I would be willing to make copies of some pages if the article is continued on the back of a page (not just an ad)

Thanks!
    Do you have any copies of California Horse Review? It was a pretty short-lived publication back in the '80's.

Nope, never even heard of that. I just have every horse illustrated, horse & rider and equus since like '97. And a dressage today and practical horseman since like 2003... it's a ton
    BDC

I go the binder and page protector route. I probably have 8 of the big 3" binders now. There is a great deal of repetition in the topics covered over the years, so every year or so I go through what I have and the growing 'to be sorted pile' and find the articles that cover the exact same topic. The one I like the best stays, the rest get tossed.

I tried scanning articles into the computer, but unless you can save files as .pdf, keeping an image file big enough and high quality enough to be read clearly is a big space-sucking PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyNSH View Post

I tried scanning articles into the computer, but unless you can save files as .pdf, keeping an image file big enough and high quality enough to be read clearly is a big space-sucking PITA.
    That's what I figured, I just got a new laptop. After suffering with the fast as molasses family computer for years, I want to keep my computer speedy. I will go the binder/page protector route.

Thanks!
    BDC

I put mine in a 3 ring binder, without page protectors though. I have them sectioned into horse care, jumping, and dressage sections. Works pretty well for me, except for that darn "round-tuit" pile that was mentioned...

Default Hay

We actually used to save all magazines for our business however I've noticed that these magazines recycle articles and things go out of date so quickly that we've started just recycling the magazines after we've read them.

If we need something immediately, we go online and do a search. No more saving. Free up the shelves for your trophies!!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I'll take the old Practical Horsemans