The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have had two foot surgeries that have caused some permanent issues for me. The ONLY shoe I can wear all day every day is the Dansko professional clog. They are tippy, and not made to do what I ask them to do (coaching students, barn work, yard work...), but I couldn't function without them. I think I have 5 pairs now....

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    We should let them know about this thread so they can get some honest customer feedback. After Christmas I'll call them or stop there and let them know. I would think this is really helpful to any business.

As far as the outlet, it's in south east Chester County, PA in a non existant town called Jennersville which is between Oxford and West Grove on what used to be Rt. 1 now just Baltimore Pike but between the Jennersville/Rt. 796 exit and the Rt. 896 exit, I forget the town listed, probably another non existant town. These areas were probably once little towns or communities which have now blended into the landscape, buildings gone and no town center makes it virtually impossible to identify as a community.
    My mom is a big fan of the Dansko outlet, so I've got a couple pairs myself (mostly for work, though, not the barn).
    If you can get over there, the prices are pretty good (50% off retail, so professionals run about $60) and you can try on (and mix and match) sizes as much as you need to!

I did see one lone pair of paddocks on my last visit there (but too small for me) - but the lady who helped me at the outlet did mention that they were receptive to customer input (and they make the shoes right there!), so if a lot of people really wanted the paddocks brought back, that wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility.

I have not read all the post I will admit, but I HATE my Dansko's they are the biggest waist of money I have ever spent on shoes. I was so upset by how poorly they fit wrote Dansko a letter!!!! I have never written any company a letter before in my life.

I suppose I should also add, I did not buy clogs, I bought semi-dressy shoes for work. They are more like loafers. I went to the Walking Store where they measured my feet four different ways to tell me the exact size I need. I wore them for 4 four months and was in pain everyday. I finally gave up and put them in the closet and went back to my el cheapo shoes that make my feet happy.

I took someone there who was from out of town this July and she bought one of the last pairs of paddock boots and the next day she was going on the trail ride at Fair Hill so they came in very handy. She told me she was really glad she bought them and they felt great.

I do most of my grocery shopping just across the street so I see Dansko routinely. I have a couple pair, the same style, the clogs, I hate whole shoes, and I wear them pretty much year round, at the barn, heels get cold in the snow, and sometimes muddy, but I'm very weird. I usually buy some kind of backless clog type shoe whether Easy Spirit or at Outback or Dansko and I hate to pay more than $60, that would kill me. I usually wear the same shoe almost every day for about 1 year then get a new pair. I did say I was weird, and I never wear shoes in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by bdj View Post
    My mom is a big fan of the Dansko outlet, so I've got a couple pairs myself (mostly for work, though, not the barn).
    If you can get over there, the prices are pretty good (50% off retail, so professionals run about $60) and you can try on (and mix and match) sizes as much as you need to!

I did see one lone pair of paddocks on my last visit there (but too small for me) - but the lady who helped me at the outlet did mention that they were receptive to customer input (and they make the shoes right there!), so if a lot of people really wanted the paddocks brought back, that wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility.

I love my clogs! I got them off Ebay for $40 and once they broke in, they are one of my favorite pairs of shoes to wear.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Default Live in them

I have 3 pairs of clogs, but not Dansko. I wear only wooden clogs with suede tops. Suede gives and is not hot for my foot (as leather is). Wood provides the support my high arches gives. It allows me to stand for long periods of time.
    I don't slip sideways (well, hardly ever), but I do think the twist motion normally absorbed by the ankle gets put in the knee so sometimes that can cause a problem. But I love wood.
    P.S. These are not appropriate at the barn. My horse stepped on my suede top and leaned into me. My big toe was crushed and I had 8 stiches. Leather tops may provide more protection, but really only paddock boots are appropriate in the barn.
    If you are interested in wood clogs try:
    http://www.clogwild.com/clogs-olsson.html

My fear of backless clogs is based on a good fall down the basement stairs, when as I stepped down my clog slipped forward off my foot, and I came down on the back of it, stumbled, slid five steps and took out a four inch cedar support post with my shin. That stung a bit! Dented the post and my shin. No more clogs on stairs for me!

The dansko clogs I wear have the full back. I suppose walking in backless clogs is a fine art, honed with practice!