The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dansko clogs/shoes

I know that the Dansko's are very popular at the barns. Who out there has them and what do they think? I need to find a nice looking shoe that is dressier than tennis shoes to wear (not really looking for barn wear-Blunstones for that), but not super dressy. Thanks for replies.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I wear Blunnies at the barn but I wear Danskos at work. Love them! You can get them for peanuts on Ebay, especially if you choose a model other than the clogs (which are very popular with working professionals). I think I paid $30 shipped for my Dansko Edies last month. They replaced another set of Edies that lived through three years of daily use. FWIW, the leather on my old Edies still looks fantastic, but the cost of replacing the worn insoles and resoling the bottom was well over the $30 for a new pair.

If you are not familiar with Danskos, remember that you need to buy them in a size large enough for the heel to slip a tad.

Love them! I am on my feet all day, usually on harder surfaces. With the Danskos specifically, my bad knee does not hurt as with some other shoes. They are incredibly long-lasting as well, unless you've got chew happy dogs.

We are lucky enough to have the Outlet store fairly near, so they can be picked up for way less than in catalogs or at the tack shop.

I recommend you go with an oiled leather, as it stretches a bit, as opposed to the shinier surfaced leather.

I wear my danskos a lot, but not if I have serious work to do at the barn, since I find I get shavings in them and I tend to trip a lot while wearing them.

On the other hand, They are waterproof and clean really easily and look nice no matter how often you wear them. They're comfy and pretty, but for some reason I fall a lot in them (and friends who wear them said they have the same problem).
    "But always, to her, red and green cabbages were to be jade and Burgundy, crysoprase and porphyry. Life has no weapons against a woman like that." - Edna Ferber, So Big

Chronicle of MY Horse

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I practically live in my Dansko's. I never wear regular sneakers anymore. I am a nurse so I wear them to work, I have a different pair for the barn, I have flip flops, Dansko riding boots, dress shoes etc. I have tons of pairs. My back doesn't hurt anymore and my feet feel great. The shoes wear like iron too. Especially the Professional model. My recommendation would be to go to a store and get fitted so you know what size to get (they are European sized and should fit a touch loose) before you go ebaying. They are worth every penny.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I owned a pair years ago but found they gave no ankle support and I was often tripping and several times fell down.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I agree with what Calhoun said - I have terrible ankle problems and I do trip in them more often then other shoes. That said, I think they give me decent support on my foot and have the perfect arch for my foot. I have the oiled brown version and they are hard to clean after the barn (but then again most shoes are). I would recommend the regular leather instead. They are really comfy and I never get that pain I often get on the bottom of my feet.

I recommend going to The Walking Store that has a huge collection of Danskos among other comfy, practical, high quality shoes - and try on everything. My mom hates Dansko but LOVES her Ariat clogs.

I have two pair that I've had for 4 or 5 years. They hold up remarkably well, and are incredibly comfortable for my twelve hour work shifts I'd hesitate to buy them off eBay without trying them on, because even two pairs that are the same size can fit differently.

I'd also not recomend them for walking on a lot of cobblestones, or up medieval church stairs Otherwise, they're fabulous shoes that hold up to a lot of abuse and clean up with just a bit of lederbalsam!

I practically lived in my Dansko clogs until I injured my ankle last spring. I find I can only wear them for short periods now, as my ankle still doesn't do well if my heel is raised and the weight goes forward on my toes, though it's gradually getting better and better. But they were my everyday shoes for years and years before that! I loved them for travel - easy to fling off at the airport checkpoint! Also easy to slip off at the barn when changing into boots, or to slip on at the door when your arms are full of bags and things.

A very dangerous thing to be wearing anywhere other than a restaurant.

Wink

I wear mine every day to work - they are great for walking downtown as the cobblestones were tearing my good flats up. They go well with slacks and long skirts (I still wear dress shoes with suits when necessary to dress up).

I usually walk every day at lunch (a good 45 minutes) and they feel as good as my sneakers did - and this way I don't have to worry with toting shoes back & forth.

Of course, I may just be naturally graceful when I walk in them.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

I wear mine everywhere, since they are the only shoes that support my arches enough. I used to be a runner, and my arches collapsed. And if I have to stand for hours (like when teaching) in any other shoes, my feet really hurt! With the Danskos my feet only hurt if I stand and teach for more than 9 hours.

Default Not good for fallen arches

I have flat feet and although I love the look of the Dansko's, I just can't wear them. After more than 3 or 4 hours, my feet literally ache. I also trip alot when wearing them.
    Cindy

I'm near the outlet too, I live in New London, just a few miles away. I just bought another pair exactly like my last pair that I made ugly in the mud at the barn. I liked that color better too. Oh well, the black with brown will have to do.

Now they have a lot to choose from but for me the fit works best, and blunnies are a good fit for my feet too. I have very wide toes but a narrow heel so backless shoes are perfect for me and they sure do last a long time.

If you live really close to the Dansko outlet you must also shop at the Giant grocery store too, like me, and maybe the Outback outlet in Oxford, and my all time favorite, the Neuchatel outlet, that's the best of all. Half of my Christmas list was from Neuchatel.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboozled View Post
    Love them! I am on my feet all day, usually on harder surfaces. With the Danskos specifically, my bad knee does not hurt as with some other shoes. They are incredibly long-lasting as well, unless you've got chew happy dogs.

We are lucky enough to have the Outlet store fairly near, so they can be picked up for way less than in catalogs or at the tack shop.

I recommend you go with an oiled leather, as it stretches a bit, as opposed to the shinier surfaced leather.

My daughter in law just twisted her ankle, a reinjury, while wearing her Dansko clogs. She likes to wear them but I also find that the thicker soles make walking a bit clumsy, less agile and prone to injuries and trips.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    I practically lived in my Dansko clogs until I injured my ankle last spring. I find I can only wear them for short periods now, as my ankle still doesn't do well if my heel is raised and the weight goes forward on my toes, though it's gradually getting better and better. But they were my everyday shoes for years and years before that! I loved them for travel - easy to fling off at the airport checkpoint! Also easy to slip off at the barn when changing into boots, or to slip on at the door when your arms are full of bags and things.

I fall off the regular Danskos, but I live in my Dansko Sport Clogs (at the farm and in the 'real' world)! They have a wider, rubber sole. They don't make the model I prefer anymore, but I can still find them on eBay

My girls love the regular 'Professional' style. In fact, one of them has a pair under the tree right now
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    I have flat feet and although I love the look of the Dansko's, I just can't wear them. After more than 3 or 4 hours, my feet literally ache. I also trip alot when wearing them.

They are just what you need for fallen arches! You do have to build up to wearing them though. Add on an hour each day, and your feet will get used to them. Once you get your feet used to them, you won't want to wear anything else.

Yes, they do tend to make you trip on uneven ground though.

As others have said, the traditional sole that is found on many of the models, including the professional, is terrible for those with ankle issues. Rollover is easy-- lots of ouchy ankles! However, the more sporty soles are much better for ankle issues. I will say they changed the sport sole a few years back and I don't like the new sport sole as much-- I will wear my old sport sole ones around until they fall apart on me-- its been many years and they are still kicking with a few repairs. But the sport sole (new) is still better for those with ankle problems.

I have the Calla model and love them. I like the Calla better than the Professional. I feel more stable in them.

Love mine!
    I have the sport clogs that I wear at work (waitressing and bartending) - they don't let my ankles roll over like the professionals do. I've had the same pair for 5 years, and they are still holding up great!

I have the paddock boots also (that are discontinued ) I bought an extra pair when I found out that they weren't making them anymore, and I'm hording the new ones until my old ones completely fall apart.
    -Jessica