The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dave DeAngelis Guest

Default Jim Graham

Hey there,
    My name is Dave DeAngelis. I am an aspiring young horseman, looking to get the most thorough education in the industry as possible. I've had the opportunity to have a preliminary phone interview with Jim Graham and the chance to speak with a former groom as well. His former employee encouraged me to come here and inquire about Jim and what the community feels about him. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with Jim Graham, or anything they can tell me about him or his operation? I'm preparing for the possibility of traveling a thousand or so miles to meet with him and I'd like to know if it's worth my while.
    I appreciate it, and if you would prefer the discretion of an email, get me at dedeange@student.umass.edu.

Thanks,
    Dave DeAngelis

Sorry, I don't know Jim Graham, but my husband's cousin is named Dave DeAngelis so I opened this up!

He teaches high school so I guess it isn't you.

Darbs Guest

I haven't personally ridden with him, but I know of several people who have and I haven't heard anything negative.
    He has judged a couple of shows that I have ridden in and he seemed nice enough, as far as judges go. Can't say what it would be like to work for him though.
    The person I worked for was such an $@%@$@% I would never work at a stable again!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

You will LOVE it!!!!!!!!

I spent 4 years at Meadow Run! Loved every minute!

Do a search function on this thread for Jim Graham or you can PM me.

I would move there again in a heartbeat!!!!!!

I promise it will be worth your time!

Are you looking to be a W/S or a groom?
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

a bit off topic, but since you are at UMASS (and I am assuming Amherst) depending on your level of experience, you might want to contact Fran Cross at King Oak Farm for a place to base yourself whilst at school...unless you are looking for a perm position down south.
    As far as Jim, no complaints.

Jim is a fine man and an excellent horseman. He is also one of the most gifted teachers I've ever worked with in my 40 year riding career. I live and ride an hour and a half north of him so I've known him (or of him) for decades. I've ridden through the CCI** long format with him as a "off campus" student and he has an extremely well thought out training program.

You will be hard pressed to find someone with something bad to say about him which is rather incredible in the horse world. If you have any specific questions feel free to Private Message me.

1 members found this post helpful.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

Jim is an excellent horseman. I was a working student briefly after high school, and my sister took a year off after high school and rode through her first 3-day with him. (Back in the full format days...) We've remained very good friends with him.

You will get a thorough education from Jim. My sister always said that no one could have had her and her horse more prepared for their first 3-day. I highly recommend him.
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Neither my DW or myself have ridden with him, but we talk to him at every horse show that his is at and he is just a REALLY nice guy. I saw him in Utah then six months later in Alabama at Ft. Rucker. As I walked up he said, "Will, Wyoming", I said, "Close, Utah" we had a good chuckle and talked for 15 minutes or so. We would love to spend more time around him.... maybe this year
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

I had my first lesson with Jim last month-- I had been wanting to take one with him for a long time, and I wasn't disappointed. You will learn so much-- he is indeed a gifted teacher. And a very nice person to boot.

I've had lot's of clinics with Jim and agree with the other posters here - he is a great horseman and a very gifted teacher. He is also a very nice man who is easy to talk to. You could do a whole lot worse! I wish I were 35 years younger and I might try to spend some time being his working student.

Thumbs up

Jim is a fabulous horseman and instructor. And a very nice guy as well.

I've known him for 20 years? great teacher, great guy. he knows the sport from the ground up to the highest hieghts. his students develop into very competitive and sensitive riders. he is honest and unassuming. from my personal experience I can highly recommend him.

I scribed for him last summer.... best time ever!! I am going to audit his clinic here next month as I haven't been riding enough to ride. What a great guy.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Is he the one who competed Easter Parade? If so I have only heard the nicest comments about him although I have no personal knowledge. I do remember reading a quote from him about how careful he is with Easter Parade on cross country because he is his "best friend" and he didn't want anything to happen to him. That concern for his horse made me remember and admire him, sounds like you would be lucky to work with him.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, he competed Easter Parade.

I was a working student for Jim ove 25 years ago - and I cannot say enough good things about him.

As Subk wrote, feel free to email or send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Default Jim's a ton of fun

And he always seems to have time for even the smallest client. He's got a great postive attitude and a wealth of knowledge. You should definitely go for it.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I've only dealt with him in passing (stabled nearby, overheard course walks and warmups, etc.) but he seems always to be smiling and attentive to his students/clients and to be friendly and real. FWIW.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I cliniced with Jim when I was living in the Midwest and watched many, many of his other clinics with riders of all levels and ages, and there's no one else I'd want to learn from more. Wonderful guy, fantastic teacher. You would be lucky for the opportunity!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Attended many clinics with Jim and he coached our ATC team. He never forgets anyone. Any horse. He doesn't overface, but has a gift re how to teach each individual horse/rider combo. Nicest ever. Gives much of himself.

I have organized and rode in many clinics with Jim as well as got to spend a long weekend riding at his place. He is one of the nicest people and a great family friend now. He is always begging me to ditch my real world job and come and ride with him for a year or two (I wish...... buying another lottery ticket... LOL). If I had the chance, I would in a heartbeat.

Bobbi
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.