The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scott Hassler

has anyone ridden in a clinic with him? Thanks...
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Audited but not ridden. Thought VERY highly of him - he is a good communicator with a great eye and an ability to read both horse and rider well. Love to watch him work with young horses in particular - just has a feel for them. Wished I could have ridden, but didn't have a horse ready at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Scott is EXTREMELY positive, and has lots of good exercises for young and developing horses. I have him at my place about 10 times a year.

Scott is EXTREMELY positive
    That's what I've heard. That can border on patronizing, don't you think?

I've seen the DVDs of one of the young horse symposiums and based on that, no, he's not patroniizing.

no, not in his case. there is such a thing as a 'positive kind of positive' and that's what Scott's got. You aren't going to be having any easy light ride on Mr. Hassler's watch.

I've experienced both kinds of teaching - very positive, and very negative. Even an old dog can learn new tricks, and I learned a little too late in life that a positive, encouraging, enthusiastic style pushes people to excel and achieve in a way a negative approach NEVER, ever will do.

Being encouraged doesn't necessarily mean you are cut any slack or schmoozed - in fact, I find the 'negative' teachers to be the ones MOST guilty of schmoozing customers!

AND the ones who give the easiest rides, expect the least and get the least out of students.

The 'encouraging, positive' teachers I've had are nothing to do with cutting anyone any slack. Quite the opposite. My most 'enthusiastic' teacher's lessons mean I spend the next two hours on the couch with my best friend, Mr. Albuterol.

A negative, picking, 'that sucked marginally less, you always do it wrong' attitude in a teacher works just as badly with humans as it does with horses. Being 'encouraging', 'positive' is not a bad thing.

Scott gave a young horse symposium at our barn last year. He was excellent at explaining concepts, utilizing exercises to get points across to horse and rider, and instilling patience in both riders and horses. Everyone was challenged but no one was "pressed" unless horse and rider could handle it. No one was overfaced. It was an excellent clinic for riders and auditors. He is very positive and very "political", but I would not say he wouldn't call a spade a spade during the symposium. He just did it in a pleasant/professional way.

I ride with Scott regularly, and he is effective and positive. He teaches training, not riding. He's made a massive difference in my training and my horses.

Drove down to his farm for a lesson this summer.

Loved it! My horse felt amazing at the end of the lesson.

Scott was very positive but informative. I would love to take more lessons.

If you can do it - DO IT!

He is close enough to me to drive down too. Although I haven't had the nerve to contact him. Everything I have seen, he strikes me as the type of person I would like to clinic with.

Ive ridden with him at a YH symposium and yh clinic -- have found him to be very helpful, good info, talks about today's plan or method vs. future steps, training riding vs. show prep and showing riding, most importantly, one of his "things" is to work within the system you already work in and finds ways to make it better rather than require you to completely redo your whole method (unless he thinks you need to make that change i guess)

I would ride with him at any opportunity.

carolyn

Scott is very easy to talk to! Very down to earth. So wants to help and never wants to put anyone down. Exceptionally knowledgeable and caring. It comes through in everything he teaches. The horse is number one with him always!!

JRG I am sure he would be happy to have you call. Even if he is busy (I know he has a heavy clinic schedule) his wife, Susanne is lovely to take from also (excellent rider and trainer in her own right) and she is exceptionally supportive and just plain one of the nicest people I have ever come across in this business. She NEVER has had a bad word to say about anyone and can find something positive in ever horse and rider. She is esp good at making all feels at home and comfortable with her.

The whole staff there is just wonderful to deal with. I bred a mare to Rousseau this past Spring, and their breeding manager, Mellisa, is wonderful to deal with. They always return calls and never make you feel like your asking a "silly" question. I'm planning a road trip to Riveredge after the new year just to see the stallions, but I sure hope Scott is there, as I would love to speak with him about the Young Horse program!
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

I've had a fair amount of dealings with them by breeding to Rousseau twice and also having Scott as part of our educational session at the KWPN-NA Annual Meeting in Wellington this year. We had the opportunity to watch him teach about 4 or 5 riders of young horses (between 4 and 7 years old) and it was definitely worthwhile. I think Scott knows and understands what needs to happen and can teach that in a very effective manner.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    On the contrary, it's very inspiring, especially to the timid/nervous rider. Most of the riders who participate in my clinics are professionals or "pramateurs" (amateur riders with the experience of a professional ), but he's great with my nervous nellie ammies as well.

I loved the clinic he did for NEDA a couple of years ago. I also got to meet he and his staff at Devon a few years ago. They are all very pleasant and easy to deal with. Not something you find in this business that often
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

I've only met his mother in law, Anita while scribing for her and she's a sweetheart. I also met his daughter with her pony at PCcamp and she's sweet too. Can't imagine anyone with family like that not being a decent person. I heard his Mom was a tough instructor from one of her students. Maybe you could all save money and get lessons from my friend, his Mom taught her the same as she taught Scott.

Scott comes to our barn once a month and works with our trainer on 4-5horses. On word of mouth alone we open it up to auditors and usually have 5-10 regulars who come each month. He takes questions between the rides and is kind and patient with the young horses. He helped our trainer develop one very difficult horse (Reared and pulled-she was told once in a public clinic to send him to the killers) into a competitive PSG horse. Suzanne his wife and business partner is absolutely the nicest person I have ever met. I have been to Riversedge twice with my horse and received a warm welcome everyone there is friendly and helpful.

I highly recommend Scott to anyone looking for a trainer at any level.

lisaks Guest

Scott comes to my barn on a regular basis and I have also taken two of my horses to Riveredge several times over the last 2 years, my hot mare and her willfull young son. Scott and Suzanne were wonderful gracious hosts. Scott has given me great excercises to help keep my young horse's attention and to soothe my mare's tension. He does work within whatever work program your horses are used to and pushes just enough with plenty of breaks depending on a horse's fitness. At our barn, he has worked with lower level junior riders to experienced GP riders with the same positive encouragement. I can't recommend him enough.

Ditto J-Lu and Bellfleur! Scott is an amazingly positive, yet effective trainer of trainers. It is all about what is fair to ask of the horse and how to develop the horse's best potential carefully. Not patronizing at all.