The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Danzig question

I was googling a mare I knew, (Buy The Firm) and an offspring of her's by Danzig came up. Next to Danzig's name was APHA. How is that possible? And yes, it was THE Danzig.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Is Buy The Firm a registered Paint?
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Without having seen the page to which you refer, my guess is that the designation is in reference to the offspring.

Jockey Club registered thoroughbreds used to be eligible for registration with the APHA. (I think a horse must have at least one Paint parent to qualify for regular registration with the APHA now.)

If you mean this:
    Before The Bell (TB) (APHA):; (Stallion); P00835253; (Danzig (APHA) x Buy The Firm (TB)); Location: Oasis Ranch Inc.;

I think it means Before The Bell was listed with the AQHA as an approved (or whatever they call it) TB to breed QH mares to. The APHA after Danzig is probably just a mistake as I do not think any paints could have afforded him!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Default APHA

Before the Bell is listed in the APHA (American Paint Horse Association) as a 1998 Bay Overo Stallion by Danzig (TB) out of Buy the Firm (Tb). Yes it is THE Danzig by Northern Dancer.

Must have been a cropout that they took the trouble of registering as a paint as well as a Thoroughbred. Now days the Paint horse registry requires one paint parent so unless one of the Tb parents is already double registered as a paint there is no way to register future pure Tb crop outs in the Paint Horse registry.

Interestingly enough Before the Bell has no paint registered offspring to date.

I found his website with a photo

http://www.oasisquarterhorses.com/be...the%20bell.htm
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Alot of the ND's were flashy in markings and coud be considered sabino.
    The paint registry is more closed now that it was when that horse was registered.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

He's awesome. Unusual for a horse with his pedigree to be reg. with APHA. (not bad, just unusual!) I wonder if he has belly spots? Since foals of 2005 one parent must be reg. paint but you can still have double registered TBs as long as you have one parent be one that was registered prior to 2005.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Default He's got to have a belly spot

Or he wouldn't be in the regular registry as he does not have enough white on his face or legs. I thought I saw one in the photos up near his front legs. Hard to tell. He almost looks more like a QH than a Tb. I have a half Tb Paint that traces back to Northern Dancer though The Minstrel. She's a pistol but is brave and talented and a blast to ride.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

The white could also come from Exclusive Native, sire of Buy The Firm's sire Affirmed. I remember seeing a couple of wildly-marked Exclusive Native offspring at the sales years ago. One, a SW named My Darling One, was chestnut with very high white on her legs and a huge white spot on her belly; she sold to a Japanese buyer for 7 figures as a broodmare in the late 80's if I remember correctly.

Cherry-no,Buy The Firm is not a paint.

Thanks everyone-that is the horse I was talking about. It must have been a typo next to Danzig's name.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

It's my understanding that you can register a stallion with the APHA if he has produced cropouts (he doesn't need to be one himself). I think he had to have produced 6 foals with markings to be eligible, but I can't remember (it's been a long time). He could be a crop out himself, but I didn't see enough white on him. I believe he needs to have a white patch with at least 2"x2" of pink skin underneath above his knees and behind his eyes to be considered a paint himself. I couldn't tell from his photos. It's called a breeding stock paint. This can also refer to a horse by two paint parents that ends up solid. Before The Bell probably produces paints when bred to paint mares, so they got him an APHA breeding number. I had a solid registered paint once that I rescued from a local auction as a foal. Interestingly, he is now a teaser at Claiborne, and teased mares for Danzig.

We had a Danzig son and we've gotten a few babies from him with white hairs (rabicano?) all over them! We've got one who'll be 2 in '09 and his front half is dark bay, with a funny blaze, and his hind end is gray starting at the barrel!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati