The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default .

Last edited by amastrike; Jul. 24, 2009 at 02:32 PM.

We have one that NEVER leaves the heated tack room in the winter. (Or much in the summer, now that I think about it!) There are 3 barn cats currently, and both the boys venture in and out, but the female is pretty much always in there - either curled up with one of the boys, or on top of one of my saddles. She obviously comes down to eat, though - if I'd had a good picture of her to share, she would have been part of the "fattest barn cat" thread. We have a shelving unit in the tack room with shelves that are made of wooden slats. She sits on the top shelf and her belly hangs down between the slats - while she is sitting up! It is hilarious. She has some issues with personal hygiene, too - she can't reach the middle of her back, so if you start scratching her there, she starts madly licking one of her front legs. Unfortunately, since she's a barn cat and the others are normal weight, there is dry food out all the time, so I don't see her weight problem improving. She's made it to 17 though, so it could be worse.

I have one that borders on that. She showed up a year ago and we are now her home. She follows me out to the fields to feed, and expects to be carried back if the weather is at all inclement... or the grass is wet.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Oh, we may win this one. A few of the barn cats are now house cats, although they do go in and out (unlike out regular house cats) when the weather is nicer out. The two "most" barn cats are now taking up residence in our cellar-where it's warm and they get food delivered or they just mosey to the garage and eat the dog's food. It's a dirt floored cellar where the mechanicals of our house and oil tank are.

When they are actually in the barn they have a heated water dish, blankets up in the mow to keep them warm and endless dry cat food.

We were just talking that we need to get some "real" barn cats so they can actually do their job-get rid of the mice and pigeons.

uummmm .... I bought mine a heated mat for the barn. We now have 'cats on mat' on cold mornings.

I actually bought it for the last of our original barn cats. She was 19 and very stiff - she could not jump into the hay to find hidey-holes any more. She is gone now, but the two younger cats hold down the mat in her honor. Oh, they have a heated water bowl too ....

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

My little barn kitty is named Turkey, because she came to us the day before Thanksgiving last year as an abandoned kitten. Since she was so little and it was so cold she got to live in the bathroom in the barn since it's heated. Well now she thinks that whenever it's cold (read: 50 degrees or below) she can stay in the bathroom. So last night as I was locking up the barn and shutting down the heater in the bathroom out comes Turkey from the utility closet in the bathroom where she has very obviously been sound asleep. I asked her if she wanted to go out with her friends and she gave me the "I am the Queen and you must obey me" look and I quietly closed the door and left her in her chambers.
    It certainly makes it more interesting for the boarders using the bathroom since she likes to sit on your lap when you're...uh...taking care of things
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

We have 8 barn cats and if you looked at our barn, you would think we have even more since we have about 9 cat beds (if all shapes and sizes) and a cat igloo for them. Along with a heated waterer, endless cat food, and a little kitty door so the barn can be closed up and warm but they still can go in and out.

Default Hay

Edgewood said: "We have 8 barn cats and if you looked at our barn, you would think we have even more since we have about 9 cat beds (if all shapes and sizes) and a cat igloo for them. Along with a heated waterer, endless cat food, and a little kitty door so the barn can be closed up and warm but they still can go in and out. "

Oh my god, so do we...cat beds everywhere!!!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Maybe all cats are like this, but....

My cats WILL NOT TOUCH a single piece of food that has fallen out of their feeder onto the floor. I check the feeder every few days and on occasion have found it empty ( the horror, the abuse!). And the cats are hopping around me BEGGING for more food. Meanwhile, the floor is covered in what looks like a full bowlful of food. But god forbid they eat anything that's touched the floor.....unless, of course, it's the remains of whatever carcass they've brought into the tack room to snack on later....

I'm laughing at these posts-it's nice to know I'm not alone. I have a barn cat who adopted us last winter-she has a cat bed on one of the tack trunks, a kitty igloo by the hay, cat doors to go in and out of the barn and the hay shed, an auto waterer, but alas, no heated mat(I'm not telling her that they exist). I will say she appreciates her lifestyle and thanks me by bringing presents of her kills almost daily. She finally eats dry food(before she would only eat canned) but I do have to give her kitty treats daily or she is quite vocal in her displeasure. She also insists that I pet her often while I'm cleaning stalls, so I've taken to putting her on my shoulders while I clean and she stays there for about 20 minutes, purring away. Cats are funny-you definitely know where you stand in their world and they have a keenly developed sense of "cat humor"-in a room full of people, they sit in the lap of the one cat hater in the bunch!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default We are all Suckers together

My little 5# Verminator will only eat certain wet food - MUST be poultry flavor or she turns up her nose.
    Um, excuse me Madam, but isn't that 1/2 a raw mouse you just left on the floor?
    So Rodent Sushi is fine, but beef or fish flavor food is Untouchable?

She throws a very vocal fit if I dare to toss hay to the horses before feeding her the correct wet food - even though her bowl is full of dry - and demands her laptime.
    I do not kid myself - she is interested in my bodyheat, not the companionship.

Don't they say dogs have owners, cats have staff?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

yup, we've got a couple. they are romeo and sebastian, littermates who were abandoned here. romeo is a very brittle diabetic, with hardly any vision left. he gets insulin twice a day, demands to be in the hosue at meal times, and all four dogs back away when he comes in. he samples all of their dinners and waits with them while dh distributes treats. then back out to his heated tack room with his heated bed, lots of blankies, his semi-feral brother and a full dish of ridiculousely expensive diabetic chow. since they've been here romeo has cost us over five grand in vet care,, sebastian is perfectly healthy, however,so it's a wash, i guess.