The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When is it too late to clip?

I need to reclip the trace clip my horse had done last month. I would have done it, but I'm buying clippers and they haven't arrived yet. I really wanted to get it done before 12/21. How late is too late to clip him? I don't want to risk his spring/summer coat. The clipped area is 1/2" long, and poor guy is sweating there even in 20 degree weather.
    Thanks!

Not too late at all!! I've done as late as march 1st with no problems and done full body clips year round on my teddy bear event horse! It's all about doing an even clip job.

Curious though, why did you horse grow a half an inch in december? Is he kept well blanketed or just know to be very furry? Most horses in a colder climate have there winter coat fully in well before christmas and won't grow a clipped coat out that fast when kept toasty. Of course every horse is an individual.

Oh, he's a furry breed--QH/draft cross. He always grows a super thick furry coat in the winter, which is why I have to clip him for the winter. He was clipped early November--we did the neck, shoulders, belly, just a tiny bit up the sides, but left the butt and stifles. Kind of a combination trace and blanket clip. We basically clipped where he sweats. He's so cold tolerant though that if I put anything more than a light blanket/sheet on when it's over 30 degrees, he'll sweat. Anything over 40 and no blanket at all.

I do full clips in Sept, Oct, and Nov, then a blanket clip in Dec. That one seems to hold until I clip in March getting ready for the spring. I've never found it affects the summer coat.

Admittedly, I am dealing with polo horses and this is convenient for me, but we clip around Dec 21st because of the winter solstice. I am a firm believer that the lengthening of the days keeps me from having to clip them again. I have to d0 12+ horses, I start on the 21st, and the ones I do last usually end up looking the best for the longest with no "pig hair" growth.

I clipped early jan last year and my horse looked great! Generally if you clip after thanksgiving it lasts a good while esp on a not so hairy horse. I have put off clipping for his 3rd clip because I want to make sure he he will look great for his jan/feb/march shows plus since he has some hair (he was last clipped late october) its easier on the barn where he is and keeps me from worrying if he has one enough clothes, he will likely get done the first week in jan as he has a show 16-19. He doesn't have so much hair that he looks hairy but its a little dull and you can tell some of the hair has broken off and is a little rough, but I know underneath he is going to be shiny and pretty! (if chestnuts can be pretty clipped!)

It is never too late to clip. It won't affect the summer coat at all, and by this time of the year, they shouldn't get too fuzzy again.

No worries, I just got a new track horse on Thursday that had been at a friends house for a couple months out, so he has a bit more hair then your normal OTTB. I will be body clipping him sometime mid January (or whenever he decides that being cross tied it not the end of the world).

I've clipped into late January with no problems.

Dalemma

I got a new horse last March that had been sort of clipped, (read "butchered!!!) and we ended up doing a body clip to make him look normal. Summer coat came in fine.

I usually clip Grey Cup weekend especially to ensure that they grow some coat for the coming winter. By the end of February, my mare has a huge beard and long hairs growing off her chin, so it is definitely not too late. I, too have clipped into February and not had any problem, although at the time I did wonder.

Good to know, thanks! Now I am just waiting for the clippers.