The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default And final one - who owns a DANISH WARMBLOOD?

Sorry for this additional breed thread, but I'm truly curious to know who owns/rides a Danish Warmblood and what you are doing.

I think they are a wonderful breed. I'm always lurking on the Danish WB for sale webpage (http://www.horse.dk/us/) and often I'm literally drooling over some of those beauties.

Maybe, just maybe, my next horse might just be a danish. Allthough sadly not in the market for another horsie at present , so I'll just keep drooling over that webpage .

I have a Danish gelding. He has jumper bloodlines with a lot of Westfalen and Dutch. His lineage means very little to me.... I just liked him when I saw him. I bought him as a 5 year old three years ago. We showed 2nd level last year (2007), third and fourth level this year (2008) and I hope to show him fourth and PSG in 2009. We have played with the twos and a few ones, some half steps and baby passage so we'll see where we end up. He has an awesome work ethic, never says no....a very well developed "go" button (yeehaw!), and is so sweet to work around. He wants to 'belong" to someone so he bonds very quickly to "his person". I am thrilled to have him.

My trainer is Danish so we have lots of them in the barn. They are a wide variety of types. They are very interesting horses!

Default Who here owns a Danish Warmblood?

Mille
    Pari Ace
    Liberty CF
    Diamond Showgirl CF
    Diamond Marquis CF

and also approved DH for breeding
    Dreiskoole
    Oshogo
    Poljanka
    and redundant for breeding approval DH
    Showgirl
    Marquis
    Liberty

Thx, Papony, he sounds wonderful and you seem to be getting very well with him.

OH, Dray, that's very many!!

I have a Rambo mare. She is small (15.2ish), dark bay and very, very pretty. Everyone drools over her and thinks I am lying when they ask me how tall she is. She and I do 3rd level and she is schooling 4th level with my trainer.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

May Wonder - I showed her through 4th and we were hoping to go PSG in the spring before an injury laid her up. She is by May Sherif with old Danish breeding on the mother line.

May Cartier - my very best broodmare, she has produced one national champion here in the US, and two others for Finland. She is by Matador.

Fadonna - six year old mare by Lobster, I hope to be showing her at first level this year.

Flamenco - two year old daughter of above mare, by Onassis.

May Czar - two year old gelding by MIchellino out of May Cartier.

May Light - 15 year old gelding by Mid-West Ibi Light, shown thorugh 3rd, schooling most of the PSG.

Willow - 4 year old mare by Michellino, just backed, but wonderful to work with!

Whoops - 6 year old broodmare by Michellino, she was unfortunately injured in quarantine when she was imported so she has not been ridden, but she produces wonderful Danish babies, so I am happy with her.

Waimea - yearling filly by Matador out of Whoops. She is a showstopper, and I can't wait to rider her!

And last but not least, Caslon, by Come Back II, he is a 12 year old gelding. He has done mostly hunters but an injury ended that so he is now showing first level and hoping to show some 2nd this year with one of my students.

I think that is all of them, we are expecting two more in the spring. Most of mine are quite close though the mother line, and I just love the temperament and talent that I am getting from them and their foals! I am so glad someone started the Danish thread!

Thanks!

Nice video of Fadonna jumping. (peaked at your webpage )
    You must be one of the very few breeding DanishWB in the US, you're certainly the first one I've come across. Well done.

Inca, I'm sure they drool over her, something about those horses. They will be top of my picking list when time is right for next hossie .

I am a very proud owner of a filly by Diamond. An unbelievable stallion - old proven lines, with over 40 offspring at FEI levels in Jumping AND dressage.

The filly's mom was a wonderful riding/show horse, multiple year end championships, fun, easy, SUPER smooth gaits.

Filly qualified for USDF in hand first time out (straight from the field). She is the WHOLE package - great movement, FLASHY, sweet, ... I could gush about her on and on. One more year and then we get to go for a ride. So hard to wait.

I get to break out her brother this year. He is great too - in all meanings of the word (going to be 17.1+ but is a golden in his mind). I wish I could keep him too, but he is going to be too big for me and I prefer girls

Don't own him myself, but I ride one regularly. His name is Simon and we show him under Game Boy. He's quirky and looks like an overgrown welsh pony. He is a real treat to ride, just don't try to bully him else you might find yourself on the ground faster than you can say 'Oops!'
    Carli
    dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.

I have a Danish mare, she's been shown through PSG (qualified for Devon), schooled to I1 and I've shown her 3rd level. She's coming 16. She has a great work ethic, is so sweet and smart, and has taught me so much in the 2 years we've been together. Also forced me to take up pilates so i could actually ride her!

She had a foal when she was young and is branded Elite. Two crowns = princess sometimes but that's ok, she deserves it. She was imported from Denmark about 4 1/2 years ago by her previous owner.

Like a lot of Danish horses she is chestnut with the 4 white socks. I don't know if that coloring is typical of certain bloodlines. She is also a big mover for a smaller horse (16H), big walk, very active hind leg (see note about Pilates), huge trot and she LOVES to do her flying changes. She is by Churchill out of Elmegaardens Larissa, but I have to say I don't know anything about either of them.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Nice video of Fadonna jumping. (peaked at your webpage )
    You must be one of the very few breeding DanishWB in the US, you're certainly the first one I've come across. Well done.

Inca, I'm sure they drool over her, something about those horses. They will be top of my picking list when time is right for next hossie .

Thanks! We are quite proud of the horses we are producing, and they all seem to be well loved by new owners. We are not, however, the only Danish breeders here in the US. Dray, above, also breeds danish horses, as well as Oak Hill Farm in Folsom, LA, the owners of Diamond in Chicago, and many, many others. We are still a relatively small breeding assoc in the US, but we are growing every day! For more info on Danish horses in the US you can check out www.danishwarmblood.org the site for the North American Danish Warmblood Assoc (NADWA). I am happy to see that others also appreciate this breeding.

Inca, I also have a small Danish horse. May Light is only 15.1 but he was ridden by a 6' young rider and everyone thought he was much bigger. They just carry themselves that way! We always said he rides the size of his ego, maybe your mare is the same? :-)
    Last edited by Frogs Leap; Dec. 28, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: messed up the quote!

BelleMM Guest

I own a Solos Landtinus gelding that I love! He is easy going and very trainable. I have owned and ridden many horses and he is by far the best! He has a wonderful attitude and is always willing.

Default Rambo baby here

Oh my gosh, these are very talented horses. We have one from Oak Hill Ranch. He won everything until he got injured. We're hoping to start again this year. The quality and personality is outstanding.

I have a Danish mare, Chiquita Thais. She is a mountian of a mare - over 17.1. Very athletic with a fabulous temperament.
    More photos and pedigree on my site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chiquitas jump.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	23603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPSISept12 Chickie.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	23604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPSISeptChick.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	23605  

We breed them. I will probably breed three this coming year.

We own one! But he is a hunter/equitation horse. He is by Heslegaard's Starlight (by Lucky Light) out of a Dynamo (Don Carlos) mare. We imported him in 2003. He is the most honest and kind horse you will find.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ohandsome2.jpg

We imported another in 2006 as a jumper, but sold him because he was too slow and laid back. He is by Limbus (Landgraf) out of a mare by Lucky Light. He was a big boy at 17.0hh on his 3rd birthday. Also another kind and honest soul, one who loved my DD and would nip any human male who flirted with her. He also lunged at a hissing gator on the horse trails at WEF while my DD was riding him! Nothing bothered this sweet boy. He is a real character.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...usstanding.jpg

I love Danish wbs. The one's I have met have been just really nice horses.
    Last edited by dcm; Dec. 29, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

OH great, piccies for me to drool over .

dcm, what a gorgeous guy http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ohandsome2.jpg wow!

genevieveg17, she's lovely.

There seem to be quite a few biggies in the DanWB's really.
    That's probably also why I'm so taken by them, I like the idea of sitting up high .

Default Two Danes

Here are pics of my two. The bay is an Alexandre baby. He's now 32. The liver chestnut is 14. He has done PSG and was regional champion a few years ago at 4th. They are both darling. I rode the liver chestnut today and he was great.

My older fellow still does high school tricks at the gate. He was offering a piaffe and a levade this afternoon when I was slow bringing him in. I'm not sure where he was trained but I have owned him since he was 15.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sallygre...y=Dsopu34bj7M#

We have a May Sherif daughter, Jirtuose. She is registered with the KWPN, but she is all Danish breeding on the top side. She could have been inspected Danish, but she was imported as a yearling to Canada and was never presented. She was a solid 4th level horse (showing) and schooling much higher. She was retired to breeding this year at age 17, sound, sane and stunning. I have to say that I'm on the May Sherif band wagon, our mare is a fantastic mover....
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)