The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default crazy idea- chopping up hay?

trying to keep hay exciting for my hard keeper- he gets bored w/ it. for the hell of it- the other day- i took a handful of his tc complete, added some warm h2o, chopped up some hay w/ good scissors,mixed it in, then drizzled w/ his oil. viola! nice little snack! any ideas on how to do this on a larger scale? maybe a rubber tub, a bunch of loose hay, and some hedge trimmers? i'd like to duplicate a triple crown forage product, off the top of my head don't remember exactly which one. we're talking just to supplement here. i also wondered about making a *very* dilute molasses solution, putting it in a cleann spray bottle, and "misting" his flakes.
    *this horse is the first hard-keeper i have ever owned, quite different than the garden variety air-fern*!

Maybe you could find an old paper cutter. Lay a bunch of it in the tray and chop, chop away. I always had fun using those things. Now, where to find one? Ebay, maybe.

It would probably be easier to just feed Dengi, as it is already chopped and covered with molasses!

I second the Dengi. If you don't want molasses covered, you can always buy the Dengi Lite.

I have a hard keeper also. It improved some with ulcer treatment, but that mare could eat her entire body weight every day, I swear, and not gain a pound.

What I do for her is give her normal ration of alfalfa at the front of her stall, then at the back of her stall I hang a haybag with a full bale of grass hay. It seems to be a novelty for her to switch back and forth from the alfalfa to the grass, and thankfully, after 2 months of doing this, she hasn't gotten bored with it yet.

And if she starts leaving alfalfa in the stall, then I put that in a bag for a few days also. That seems to be "fun" to pull it out of the haybag.

But that horse CANNOT eat enough hay to keep weight on, so every night she gets about 2 1/2 gallons of soaked hay cubes, and beet pulp with about 2 pounds of grain (oats, BOSS, pellets) mixed in. That keeps her busy for an hour or so and does help keep the weight on her.

But I admit, I would MUCH rather feed a hard keeper than fat laminitic ponies.

Once upon a time, you used to be able to get a chaff-cutter. Feed hay in one end, turn handle, chopped hay (chaff) comes out other end.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

If you have an enclosed area just take a lawn mower through hay that's been shaken out thinly.... If not then you may have to resort to buying a Triple Crown forage product--it's only a snack anyway, right??? A couple handfuls a day (or even a pound) and the bale lasts forever! I don't like the Dengie product--too much molasses....

Hard keeping Thoroughbreds need amino acids (whey protein powder or Tri-Amino from Uckele), fat and/or probiotics (lactobacillus bacteria and/or yeast) to facilitate weight gain.

Cutting back on the amount of "grain" products a horse is getting will lead to an increase in hay consumption. A horse can only eat so much and when the stomach is full it can't eat anymore.... Make that "something" more hay and less "grain".

Time is money--your time would be better spent buying the already processed hay rather than trying to replicate it though....

Someone posted a link to a chaff cutter months ago--they aren't available in the U.S. to my knowledge.
    Let go or be dragged.~ American proverb

Where do you guys find the Denji???? Tried to google it, but only found UK sites.

Wow, cant you buy chaff at feed stores in America? Its a very popular feed in Australia.

I have considered chopping up my hay as well, especially for my older horses. I was going to try a leaf chopper but never got around to buying one. I looked at mulchers but they were pretty expensive for what I was trying to accomplish. The leaf chopper seemed to be very promising.
    Last edited by bludejavu; Dec. 22, 2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling - just terrible!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

thanks for all of the responses. i tried my *molasses essence* on a flake- he stood there for 10 min. just licking the hay! too funny! we'll see how much he wastes come tomorrow a.m.. i also put 2 flakes in his rack and sprayed that w/ the "nums". again- tomorrow will tell. probably will end up grabbing a bag of the "lowest" molasses tc forage product. i have to say- i tasted my little spray- not bad! and we're talking only a generous tb. to approx a quart of h2o! speaking of tc- anyone notice recent bags of complete being super oily? i know that the label says 10% fat- but i'm thinking it seems a bit higher. oh- and advent. two- i def. agree- would *not* wanting to be dealing w/ a laminitis-lurking equine!

I have considered chopping hay too! Not so crazy. I was at the feed store today looking at the TC chopped forages. I'm currently soaking tim/alf. cubes but would love a product that doesn't need soaking. The TC chopped timothy has oil AND molasses mixed in. Does anyone know the NSC of it??

I just switched my guy from TC complete to Senior, and love the lower sugar/NSC content. I hate to add it back in with the TC Chopped timothy. My horse can eat some hay, but struggles with it due to his teeth. He does great with the soaked cubes but I'd love to reduce his alfalfa and the need to soak.

I did find a feed store that carries denghi - didn't know they have a Lite formula.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

My husband and I tried using a Troy-Bilt shredder to shred straw once--it was a huge disappointment and a fiasco. I have no illusion that trying to shred hay would end any better.... I'd use a lawn mower.

T-pup, not sure of the NSC for the TC grass (timothy) forage (you'll have to call the company for that information) but TC makes a "Safe Starch Forage" that is guaranteed to be 10%--no higher. It also has some kind of ration balancer pellets in it.

Dalpal, Dengie is made by Lucerne Farms in Maine: http://www.lucernefarms.com/main.shtml . Having used the two I much prefer the Triple Crown products. Depending on where one is located the Dengie can be a PITA to find too....
    Let go or be dragged.~ American proverb

no hay wasting last night! my molasses mist did the trick. however, don't want to create yet another "issue"- meaning-having him refusing hay altogether unless it's "flavored"! did not mist any of the 3 flakes i put around for him this morning- we'll see how he does.

I use the TC chopped forage... their Safe Starch one... there is no molasses in it (my guys don't need all that sugar!), they use vegetable oil to keep the dust down. The horses love it . http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/safestarchfeeding.php

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by mammadoc View Post
    trying to keep hay exciting for my hard keeper- he gets bored w/ it. for the hell of it- the other day- i took a handful of his tc complete, added some warm h2o, chopped up some hay w/ good scissors,mixed it in, then drizzled w/ his oil. viola! nice little snack! any ideas on how to do this on a larger scale? maybe a rubber tub, a bunch of loose hay, and some hedge trimmers? i'd like to duplicate a triple crown forage product, off the top of my head don't remember exactly which one. we're talking just to supplement here. i also wondered about making a *very* dilute molasses solution, putting it in a cleann spray bottle, and "misting" his flakes.
    *this horse is the first hard-keeper i have ever owned, quite different than the garden variety air-fern*!
    you can buy chaff thats chopped up hay, or ready grass, or you can try haylage
    or you can buy a haylage net which has smaller holes than the regular haynets and you can buy them pony or horse size then put your hay int here like normal and it will take him twice as long to eat it

Default Yup,

In the UK and NZ its called chaff, and no horse gets fed their grain without chaff added ;-) Hence very little incidence of colic!

An easy way to chop it if you don't have a chaff cutter, is to get one of those tree mulchers. I presume you have them over there....you shove the branches in one end and out the other end comes mulch that you can put on your garden?

They work welll with lucerne/alfalfa as its a bit tougher than hay, but you could try hay too?

Thanks! I looked at the Safe Starch forage bag, but it's loaded with other nutrients - vitamins, etc. I thought it would be overload since he is on 10 lbs. senior and Platinum Perf. too. Maybe I'll call the TC rep and ask.

*update*. friend who has a senior on the safe starch (tc) gave me a healthy sample to try on my guy. he took a couple of bites, then gave me this "meh" look. soooooooo- i think i will look at other options. any tc product is too pricey to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by mammadoc View Post
    *update*. friend who has a senior on the safe starch (tc) gave me a healthy sample to try on my guy. he took a couple of bites, then gave me this "meh" look. soooooooo- i think i will look at other options. any tc product is too pricey to waste.

Wow, my fat, picky, little Arabs and Paso Fino scarf it up like it's going out of style... Hope you find something that your guy likes

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-