The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What makes us different?

I have always thought that horsewomen would make a great psych study. Mr. chai believes that we are definitely different from most women because we are stronger, more outdoorsy and in some cases, maybe just a little more craz, um, creative than other women.

Today it really hit me and I wonder if you will agree. I am the queen of hand sanitizer, but somehow I caught a stomach bug. Every inch of my being wants to crawl under the down comforter and stay there til it's over, hopefully soon. But with four horses and two donkeys depending on me, that isn't even a remote possibility. Did I mention that we just got back to back Northeasters and we have over 2 feet of heavy snow?

So instead of curling up by the wood stove or snuggling under the covers, I've been slogging my way through shoveling out, hauling water and hay, clearing pasture for the old horses that can't make it through this hideously heavy New England snow, pausing only for a mad dash into the house for a nausea break. Ah, the joys of winter, horses and the flu.

So to those of you who, like me, can't rest in bed while the horses have to be taken care of, even when you feel like something the cat dragged in, I guess this is what makes us just a little different from non horsey women. Some days are tougher than others, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Give me a load of shavings or hay ANY DAY over a brand name purse, or jewelry!

6 new Weatherbeeta doggie blankets made me happier than a pig in mud.

Hope you feel better soon.

yepp yepp and .....yepp.

I can say for me it runs in the family, I caught it from my mother. I don't know about those who didn't have parental influence.

No idea where I caught it from, but its definitly there.

Mud and dirt don't bother me. Nothing makes me happier than a morning in the barn.

I hate winter, but have no problems riding in the snow, or shovelling out at the barn.

I didn't have time for boyfriends growing up, I was working with the boys (stallions) and they took all my spare time (my parents were not disapointed).

I'll stay up all night with a case of colic, handwalking and all that jazz, then the next day go about my normal schedual like nothing happened.

My friends think I'm crazy, but they don't have the bug.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I'll admit...I don't always wash my hands before eating after being at the barn. Don't own hand sanitizer. Will eat after patting my dogs (but will wash my hands before preparing food).

Never get sick. I haven't had a cold in probably 3 years. And I smoke, don't eat right (One meal a day usually, and a lot of fast food). My husband gets about 6 colds a year that seem to drag on. He washes his hands religiously, doesn't smoke and eats better than I do.

I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. And I think that horses have immune system boosters for those that care for them!

Couldn't tell you what brand of purses people own, or what brand of shoes (inless it is paddock boots!).
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

We are "different." I prefer practical gifts...really love it when Mr. C'Mare builds me something for the barn. Hate make up. Despise high heels and panty hose (wretched things). Prefer tights, Ariat Terrains and big T-shirt.

Perfume to me is fresh shavings, sweet hay, horse and sweat after a good ride.

And real horse people are just that: real. Take us as we are, we don't pretend to be something we ain't.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    And real horse people are just that: real. Take us as we are, we don't pretend to be something we ain't.
    AMEN!!!!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Compared to farmer women (real farmer, not hobby farmer), horsey women are amateurs in the "stronger, more outdoorsy, more creative, take care of the animals no matter what" league.

Farmer women generally aren't as crazy as horsey women though.

No one else in my family has this disease.
    Two christmases ago my husband gave me a brand new pasture drag from Tractor Supply. My mother threw a fit at first since it wasn't jewelry or a fancy dinner, til she realized I was totally ok with it and it was just what I wanted LOL
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I must have a split personality... I like being a woman, I like to wear nice clothes, make-up/high heels/skirts/stockings... the whole nine yards. However, I don't cry when I break a nail, don't mind hay in my hair, I think a fresh opened bag of XTN smells just as good if not better than a cup of coffee, and I wear green horse kisses as badges of honor . I have been known to talk a stranger's ear off about my horses, without even thinking about mentioning my human child and husband .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

here are all the pairs of shoes I own, and I think they say all about what kind of life I live:

one pair of riding boots
    one pair of ankle-high jodhpur boots
    one pair of rubber boots
    one pair of muck boots
    one pair of leather hiking boots
    onr pair of Xcountry ski boots
    one pair of Alaskan bunny boots
    one pair of snowshoes
    one pair of flip-flops for the shower
    one pair of teva sandals for summer
    and
    one pair of nice dress shoes that live in a plastic bag underneath my closet and haven't seen the light of day since my dissertation defense, which is the last and only time I have worn them

"I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. And I think that horses have immune system boosters for those that care for them!"

ditto about germs...

I confess to handfeeding my guy a pretzel yesterday and after gumming it a bit he spit it out into my hand...I thought...hmmm.shouldn't let that go to waste...and popped into my mouth with the others in my hand. Whats the big deal anyway??

"I just called the quarry and they are delivering me 20 tons of pea gravel in a few minutes. This is true Xmas joy for me, as I hate mud... therefore I love pea gravel." Another COTHER who is a bit different type of woman!! ...I loved the barn tool box I got for Christmas one year!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    "I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. !"!!
    especially when we are children. That's when the thymus gland is active in calibrating and educating the immune system.
    Kids today living antiseptic lives indoors and in front of the computer has been hypothesized to have a lot to do with the rise in allergies and asthma - an underchallenged immune system will invent its own threats and overrreact to harmless irritants

That stomach bug you got, washing your hands would not have helped any, as it is an air borne virus.
    Seems that all here have caught it also, even people that have not seen anyone forever but made one run to the grocery store and washed their hands.

The good thing, the nausea part only lasts about 12 hours, then only cramps and feeling badly for another day or two.

Luckily, I went thru that in the evening and night, where I was hugging the toilet or a bowl all night, but was fine to go feed and do chores in the morning again.

As for what kind of women horse and farm women are, I know that some days, walking thru the grocery store some days amidst some very nice, well dressed ladies, I feel not just a little different, but like an alien from a different planet.

I think there are all kinds of women and men and that is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    So to those of you who, like me, can't rest in bed while the horses have to be taken care of, even when you feel like something the cat dragged in, I guess this is what makes us just a little different from non horsey women. Some days are tougher than others, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I don't know......I think you basically just described being a mother too. I will admit, though, that when I'm out feeding the horses in rainy or icy weather on crutches (back when I broke my leg), or with a high fever, or in between bouts of throwing up, I am grateful that at least my human children have the presence of mind to LIVE INSIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I must have a split personality... I like being a woman, I like to wear nice clothes, make-up/high heels/skirts/stockings... the whole nine yards. However, I don't cry when I break a nail, don't mind hay in my hair, I think a fresh opened bag of XTN smells just as good if not better than a cup of coffee, and I wear green horse kisses as badges of honor . I have been known to talk a stranger's ear off about my horses, without even thinking about mentioning my human child and husband .
    Me too. I like all the girly stuff but cleaning stalls is therapy and nobody keeps my horses as well as I do...IMHO

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Sometimes I think it's just knowing you HAVE to do it. There's no 'day off.'

The difference is, we *do* it. <shrugs>

I like dressing up, though pretty much only get to for church and court these days. But I've also become a connoisseur of polar fleece--technical layers of the stuff.

I will share a carrot with a horse, or eat without washing 'barn' hands without a second thought... but get borderline OCD about 'public' stuff like subways and payphones etc. When I worked in Gov't Ctr in Beantown, I'd wear gloves on the subway (winter, luckily, no one thought I was *too* whacked) but then would not be able to wipe my nose or itch an itch or whatever because the gloves felt "dirty." Yet have been shoulder deep in a mare, regularly collect and intensely investigate placentas, and think nothing of poop-picking bare handed. (it's the only way to 'finish' a stall, no? )

I DO sometimes think I have a split personality or borderline disorder. My jobs are so incredibly opposite my horsey passion... People from work don't recognize me in 'farm' clothes. I dunno...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Jewelry? A waste. Nice(r) clothes? Shrugs.

Tack cleaning cloths? Treats for Ted? Big smile.

Really, diamonds are not a girl's best friend, unless they are expensive enough to be pawned to buy a trailer.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks, Bluey. It's helpful to know that I just have another day or so of this fun. I should have clarified. I love barn dirt and I agree that kids who are outdoors and exposed to germs are better off for it. Mine were and have had fewer respiratory problems than their more indoor friends and relatives, thank goodness.
    I have no problem with clean barn dirt. It's mall, grocery store cart and pharmacy door handles that call out for hand sanitizer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    Compared to farmer women (real farmer, not hobby farmer), horsey women are amateurs in the "stronger, more outdoorsy, more creative, take care of the animals no matter what" league.

Farmer women generally aren't as crazy as horsey women though.
    Agreed. One of my grandmothers is a combination of General Patton,Mother Teresa, Julia Child, and Florence Nightengale. She puts me to shame.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling