The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone used The Source supplements?

Hi, just wondering about The Source supplements. I've seen them on the magazines, just curious has anyone used them on their horses?
    Ride all your troubles away!

Are you talking about SOURCE?

If so, do a search--lots of people do use Source and have talked about it here.

horselover11 is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

yes, i am. i just thought i could get a quick reply, there's so many threads. thanks.

I started my three horses on Source close to a month ago because of its claims and how inexpensive it is. I'll give it until summer to see if I see any huge differences in the horses, ages 19, 18 and 5. I'd like it to address shelley feet in my 18 yo, age-related issues in my 19 yo and as a general health tonic for my youngster.

I tried searching also, but as you said, there are too many threads with the word "source" in that do not relate to the supplement source. Hopefully other users chime in, as I'd be interested to see what they have to say.

I have used source before- I found it helped my mare grow a nice long mane and tail. I also have heard it is not good to use all the time, not sure why, so I took her off it for a while. Many people swear by it, good for coat, use of food etc.

The ladies who ran my last barn had their 3 horses on Source. All three had shiny, shiny coats and apparently one of the horse's feet had improved dramatically.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

I had a rescue mare (VERY starved). Tried beet pulp, senior feed and rice bran.......still thin/poor coat. Now I know it takes ages to bring back a starved horse like that regardless.........but did notice a significant improvement in her condition when I added the Source. It's pretty obvious she was deficient in all kinds of stuff from he condition! I did not put all 13 horses here on it....just her. The others are all shiny/bordeline fat and have good feet already........no need to toss more money into their bowls when what they have works fine for them.........

horselover11 is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

there's quite a few products, which one did you use? i just recently bought source 'nuggets', i believe. we'll see.

I use the regular source powder on all the horses. I cant tell you enough how much good it will do but....................it is easily seen on older horses. Put them on it for a few months, then take them off and see if you dont see then just how much it does for them. Coat, mane and tail, feed, digestibility. Its the one thing I insist on.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I use the Source Focus HF. My horses all have fantastic hooves. No cracks or breaking up when the ground froze and none of them were foot sore whatsoever. I live in New England, so my horses go from mud to cement like frozen ground to snow to mud, etc. It can create havok with the hooves and my guys (2 are Thoroughbreds who formerly had horrid feet) look and feel great. I have noticed lots of hoof growth and they have also had lots of mane (ugh!!! more to pull) and tail growth. The Focus HF is inexpensive and does a better job than many more expensive supplements I have tried.

One note of caution...if you are thinking of using regular Source, go for the micronuggets. Even my piggish warmblood that inhales everything in her feed tub won't touch the powder.

I always used to use Source, because it was the best available 10-20 years ago. Now that I'm back in horses I've been turned on to missing link, and I have to admit that the results I got from it on my old (21) guy have been remarkable. He is now getting almost fat (was a rescue with a body condition of 1 when I got him, then 3-4 after a year of feeding) and is up to about a 5/low 6.

I'm very pleased with this, but I didn't have him on source for comparison, just fatcat, and then I added the missing link and more alfalfa, which seemed to make the difference. His hooves have always been ok, though.

I used Source for years on my gelding, and he was always fat and shiny, great feet, etc., and for much of the time he was on very average feed (in terms of quality) due to the limited choices at our boarding barn, but still looked great. I've seen other horses do really well on it too. I took him off of it within the last five years, but would still recommend it. I just have so many required supps now (ulcer and joint maintenance for gelding; high calorie, joint, and calming supps for mare) that I can't be bothered with another.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

I've used Source for years!! When I first started with the powder, my TB mare wouldn't go near her feed dish--the smell!! Now many years later all I use is the Source Focus HF and all my horses have wonderful hooves, shiney coats, long tails and are in great weight. I also use Omega Horseshine and Pennfield feeds.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I have used SOURCE products with my mare for years. In her younger days, we used the SOURCE WT. She was a really hard keeper and this made a dramatic improvement in her overall condition. Now that she is in her 20's, we're using SOURCE SR. She was on no SOURCE products for 2 or 3 years, but we had a rough spring and summer with her. So n hopes of getting her as healthy as possible in the hopes of preventing thousands in vet bills again in 2009, I started her on the SOURCE SR in October. She looks amazing, and it gave her a lot more energy. She's back to her alpha mare self, running the farm. It's really great to see.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I've also used SOURCE on my guys for years. My older guy has transitioned to SOURCE SR and my other guy was on SOURCE HF for a while. I've stopped all supplements for the winter. My horses are hanging out, not being used, so I figured I'd detox them through the winter then start up again in the spring.

SOURCE can make an amazing difference in a horse. It doesn't work on all of them though. I've taken my younger horse off all together. I didn't think the HF was helping him and since he's on Accel Lifetime I figured SOURCE would be overload/waste of my money. I had him on regular SOURCE for a long time but I can't say that did all that much for him. My older guy almost can't live without it. He does OK without it but THRIVES when he's on it.

There is another older horse at the barn who has had a rough time of things lately. He's had some issues (diarrhea-long term), dull/rough coat etc. SOURCE SR and some probiotics made him as good as new--he's chestnut and much like my chestnut, he is shiny like a copper penny
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

I had my mare on it for a while and noticed no difference in her. The one thing you have to watch out for is that it is high in iodine, which can cause thyroid issues.

All the good reviews here have me wondering if my 2.5-yo gelding with the super-sensitive skin would benefit from it though. The OH hasn't helped him, nor has a general vitamin/mineral supplement (not getting enough feed). MSM, lysine, better feed, nothing has helped much. Hmmmm....

Default This may be a dumb question, but here I go...

Can you feed Source along with a Multivitamin for a horse that gets a beet pulp diet and no processed grains?

High in iodine. It is made from seaweed and I remember my vet telling me not to feed it to a pregnant mare.