The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

this guy is a total jerk. thank goodness the milk of human kindness is being represented by the snowmobilers who are doing yeoman's labor. it is interesting to see the juxtaposition between the men who use the machine to explore helping the former pack animal who were used generations before to the same end. what a monumental task!!!!!! just looking at those guys with their gloves off makes my hands hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by gwenrowdy View Post
    Throw in 6 ft. of snow and it sounds eerily like that godawful case of "let's play pioneer on weekends" case of abandonment in Montana a couple of months ago.
    That is my impression as well. "Lawyer from Alberta" playing Mountain Man.

I hope they are able to get the horse's out. Kudos to these people, so often maligned, for helping animals in desperate need.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Wow, that trench is amazing!
    That is rugged country up there! It has been between -30 and -40 degree celcius here the last week and a half, I am sure even colder out of the city there. Amazed those horses are still alive.

They must have been sick to start off though, or weak, because they shouldnt have been stranded up there if they were dumped before the snow came?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/cal...tml?id=1105919

I've been working nights, so haven't followed the story. The last I'd heard, they were still looking for the owner of the horses to determine the circumstances of why they were where they were. My previous post was based on that info. Certainly, I don't advocate abandoning horses. Nor do I support hunting or trapping if you really want to probe my opinions. Sounds like one horse has died. Very sad. Don't know how cold it is in B.C., but here in Alberta it's very cold.

I wish the media would get their story straight or just refrain from commenting until they have some facts. That's really annoying.

Seems like locals knew who this guy was long before the horses were discovered. Horses been up there for months but nobody did anything. First he packed in - he wasn't a hunter. Then he's quoted as saying he went in to deliver supplies to a hiker crossing the Divide. Then he's a lawyer from Alberta. Now he's a trapper.

None of that adds up.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Any updates on where the horses are and what condition? Also, a special standing ovation and a big thank you to all of you angels who are working night and day to save these babies........

Default Trench Down To Couple Hundred meters to Rescue Horses Near McBride

Monday, December 22, 2008 07:17 PM

McBride BC- One of the many McBride area residents who have banded together to dig a trench more than a kilometre long in the alpine of the Renshaw region near that community, says they are within a couple of hundred meters of finishing a trench in the six to seven foot snow to lead two starving horses to safety. The animals were stranded in the area and were close to death.

DeanSchreiber has been working on the trench with his sons in an effort to get the horses to a hard packed area where they can either be led out the remaining 25 kilometres, or taken by a groomer to safety below. Wife Allison says Dean will be back on the scene again Tuesday morning. The family was supposed to head to Calgary early tomorrow for Christmas, but they are delaying the trip because Dean and the family want to finish what they started.

There was a turnout of 23 to 24 people today including a group of snowmobilers who came upon the digging today and offered a hand. "We still need a hand" said Allison Schreiber who operates a guest house in the area. "We would like to get finished tomorrow with the help of more volunteers before a storm hits the area filling in the trench".

Temperatures have hovered around -30 in the area where the group of volunteers has been working frantically since last Friday to free the horses from what would surely have been a snowy grave.

A veterinarian from Prince George who inspected the horses last Friday said the animals were a condition 2 , which meant that they would have not been able to survive in the six ft snow banks for very long had the people of the region not come to the rescue.
    Cloverfox Stables

Jingles for the horses and the rescuers. What amazing people they are!

Here is the original post from the moderator of the snowandmud bb. There is a link to the ongoing discussion with updates. There is also a donate button on the left in case you want to help with rescue efforts.

These guys are working by hand digging over a mile of 6' snow- I can not even imagine the effort that takes! Not to mention the cancelled holiday travels by some of the rescue team (volunteers at that!).

They are at about $3100 raised right now, but need more to cover fuel for snowmobiles, hay, supplements, food for rescuers, etc.

http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f76/...ide-10472.html

I just donated a bit. What a backbuster of an effort going on to save those two. This will be one holiday season their adventurous rescuers will never forget!
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Pics of the rescue efforts and the horses:

http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/memb...se-rescue.html

That is some deep snow!

Just sent a donation....jingles for the safe rescue of both. Bless all those kind souls helping those beasties.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Updates say they have about 200m to go. Hoping to have them out before Christmas!

**That is just the hand dug trench that was one kilometer long and 4-6' (yes feet) deep! Once they get to the "trail" they will have to walk or be hauled another 27 kilometers down a packed trail to get to a road to be hauled to safety. **

ALL this rescue effort by a group of snowmobilers that happened upon them less than one week ago.

Thanks for all the updates.
    OMG.. 25 km? those horses won't be able to walk that distance!!! in snow!!! I hope they can somehow use a groomer as a trailer!!!
    Will send a donation asap.

Kudos to all the helpers!

If the (incredible) volunteers can get these horses to a hard packed surface, they should be able to do the trek. They have been fed now for over a week and hopefully that will help with their energy. That and a whole lot of prayers. Having said that, God help the son of a *itch who left them there. I imagine he'll not be too popular around that area.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

That _is_ incredible! Hope those horses make it!

CBC radio did a good report on this today.

The volunteer they spoke to said the focus was on rescuing the horses rather than stringing up the culprit. There's time for that after the horses are out.

It sounds like a prodigious effort and it's great to hear these snowmobilers are so enthusiastic about this rescue. Conditions are pretty terrible out there.

Copied from Snow and Mud

Update!!!!! Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal.....that is the word I think I used the most up the hill today-other than "friggin goggles.." So the trail is finished!!! And it wasn't really until I saw this trench up close that I appreciated just how much phenomenal work had gone into this.
    The horses made it out in a flash down the trail and after a bit of a rest on the groomed trail they began to make their way down with three handlers. The path was amazing, some areas more hard packed than others, but they did great coming out. There's a real sense that these two horses know the're onto better things...
    The hope is to get these guys out tonight, but time will tell and the people with them now are super-knowledgeable horse people who will I believe make the right decisions (ie. stopping to rest, trailering)

Quote Originally Posted by BTABBY View Post
    Copied from Snow and Mud

Update!!!!! Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal.....that is the word I think I used the most up the hill today-other than "friggin goggles.." So the trail is finished!!! And it wasn't really until I saw this trench up close that I appreciated just how much phenomenal work had gone into this.
    The horses made it out in a flash down the trail and after a bit of a rest on the groomed trail they began to make their way down with three handlers. The path was amazing, some areas more hard packed than others, but they did great coming out. There's a real sense that these two horses know the're onto better things...
    The hope is to get these guys out tonight, but time will tell and the people with them now are super-knowledgeable horse people who will I believe make the right decisions (ie. stopping to rest, trailering)
    Woo-hoo!!
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Wonderful news!!!!!!! Big group hug for the volunteers!! Merry Christmas to them all!

Now that the horses are safe let's string up the culprit.
    -Rudyard Kipling