The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bit warming techniques? what's yours?

I've had several, depending on where I'm boarding and how things are laid out in each barn:

1) leave bridle in tack room until I am ready to put it on, if the tack room is heated (usually is) and is also three steps from where I'm tacking up.

2) run bit under warm water in the feed room sink, assuming the sink is located right near where I tack up

3) put headstall & reins of bridle around my neck so bit hangs on my chest, and zip it under my coat (loose parts are all zipped safely away). proceed with tacking up, and when I get to the bridling part, pull out the now-warm bridle and put it on.

I've never found it effective to hold the bit in my hands to warm it. Usually it just makes my already cold hands colder, and the bit stays cold, too.

Anyone else have tricks they use for bit warming?

I have an old sock filled with rice that I'll stick in the microwave for a minute, and then drape over the bit. That works really well and then I can stick it in my pocket afterward to warm my fingers, or in my hoodie pocket to keep my stomach warm. (:

If I don't have access to a microwave I just hold it in my hands and breathe on it... takes a little longer and makes me colder though. I also sometimes put my bridle in my car when I get to the barn, so by the time I go to put it on it's usually warmed up.

I keep my bridle in the car in the winter, so when I get to the barn, it's warm.

Under my armpit, over my sweater, under my jacket while I'm grooming

I just hold it in my hands and blow on it a few times.

I made up a bunch of the rice bags for friends for presents this year. They work great and stay warm for 10-15 minutes.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Heated tackroom, currently

However, when I have been at barns with unheated tackrooms and no hot water... we kept a little electric teapot in the tackroom so we could have small amounts of hot water. I'd put some water in there when I started tacking up, and it was hot by the time I was ready to bridle. Dump the water in a small bucket, dunk the bit in for about 3 seconds, and you have a nice warm bit.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I also made my own bit warmers that have velcro on it. I heat it up in the microwave right before heading to the barn and then wrap it around the bit. By the time I get to putting the bridle on it's nice and warm and it stays warm for a while so I put it in my jacket pocket for a little extra warmth.

Hairdryer!
    Works for fingers too!

I'm a boarder without access to hot water, and while the barn is insulated (awesome), the tack room is not heated.

I use THIS and it's one of my favoritest barn toys:
    http://www.bittenstore.com/site/945873/page/45029

I use it with two of these bad boys:
    http://heatreliefdepot.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=597

Call it an overkill solution, but warming the bit is my least favorite part of winter riding, and when I take it off the bit, I can stick the Bitten down my jacket to keep ME warm.

I use a hair dryer.

Board and ride at a barn that is all heated! haha! okay, yeah we are spoiled, but i love it!!

back to the OP...I used to keep it in my pocket of my hoodie or fleece that was under my heavy winter coat. warmed it up enough.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    Heated tackroom, currently

However, when I have been at barns with unheated tackrooms and no hot water... we kept a little electric teapot in the tackroom so we could have small amounts of hot water. I'd put some water in there when I started tacking up, and it was hot by the time I was ready to bridle. Dump the water in a small bucket, dunk the bit in for about 3 seconds, and you have a nice warm bit.

I dunk my bit in hot water, too. Good for keeping it clean and warm
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I microwave one of those magic bags that are filled with rice or beans or some such thing. Fold it over the bit while I groom and tack up and when I'm ready, the bit is nice and toasty. If I'm at a barn that doesn't have a microwave, I usually put the kettle on and drape the bit over the little spout and a towel over that - though it can actually get TOO hot in the middle this way, so I really do prefer the magic bag.

I hang everything around my neck and zip my coat over it... leave it there while I groom and tack up and then it's ready to go!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I always have those little hand warmer packets at the barn. I stick one in my front jacket pocket, activate, then hang the bridle over my shoulder and stuff the bit in the same pocket. Those suckers heat up quick so even if I forget to do it before the saddle goes on there's not much of a wait to get a warm bit.

Heated tackroom, and hot water. In my new tackroom that doesn't have heat or a water heater yet, I use an electric heating pad - which my dog thinks is a pretty good bun warmer! (hot diggity dog!)

While my husband is not thrilled, I put a bridle hanger next to my front door, so the bridle comes home in the winter. It's right where I walk out so I remember to throw it in the car and it stays there until she's ready for it.
    I love the rice idea. I think I'll make one of those and see how it does.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Make someone else hold it in their hands!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

We just keep our tack in a spare room/closet in the house
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.