The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Gonna be benched for a week....Cancer procedure...UPDATE..Stitches are out!!

This bites... starting tomorrow I am officially on the ground for a week. I have to have a MOHS procedure done tomorrow to remove the skin cancer lesion that I have on my forehead. Belch. It's a basal cell dealy, so its the 'good' kind of cancer that you cut off and its gone. Sure more are likely to come up and they will then get removed also, but for now just this one.

But it sucks b/c its right where my helmet sits up against the hairline on the corner of my forehead. A friend said I will likely not be able to wear my helmet for a while. Thats not good. But at least for this deal I will be recouperating in Colorado for Xmas with mom. I have to be a zombie like vegetable and not move much and not raise my blood pressure. The docs have cleared me to travel but I have to kind of lie around so I don't risk breaking the very tiny blood vessels in my forehead and causing a hematoma. That would be very bad.

Ok so just feeling sorry for myself. I miss being able to ride. At least I get a vacation out of this.

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Dec. 29, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Hi Emily,
    I had the same procedure, for the SAME place - right smack in the middle of my forehead - done over the Thanksgiving break. Helmet felt just fine in a week - unfortunately, horsie aquired an ulcer, now an abcess in his eye, so....

glad to hear its the basal variety of skin cancer! you'll be up and going in no time flat!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Hey babe, chin up. It'll all be over soon enough. Have RELAXING fun in Colorado and enjoy the change in scenery!

Jingles for you, have it taken care of and kick on! Reposition the helmet padding so there's no contact at the surgery site.

SSSShhhhhhh......she needs the vacation! She's been going hard for a long, long while and I think a nice safe quiet Colorado rest would be just the ticket.

Hey - they will all live til you get home....but I was going to drop by and give you your Xmas present and will be up in PA tomorrow...now what ? ))
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Take it easy - enjoy the break and count your lucky stars!

It's the perfect time to sit inside with some sort of warm adult beverage if your doctor allows that

A week off won't hurt and it's very good news about the type of cancer

Good Luck! I just went thru the terrible horrible things that make me nuts- "Lets just see- that doesn't look right, so we have to follow up..."- I already have a benign brain tumor- causes them fits every time something comes up (the joys of being in your late 40's!) Just had 2 BX's, and numerous other tests- so far, things okay. But benched for awhile...

So, I think you are due to get a few new horses. That's what I did! (No drugs for this illness...!)
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Oh yeah, I can see it now..."Mom, could you please get me the TV remote?" "Mom, may I please have some cookies?" "Mom, I'll help you with those dishes as soon as I can get up sloooowly."

Just kidding, XCgirl. You are just going to have to pamper yourself for a week or two, and that's that. By the way, get thee some 100% sunblock to put on the surgical site for a year or so or risk having a nasty purple scar (which, even though Harry Potter has popularized, still aren't a girl's best friend!).
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

About three years ago, I had a MOHS procedure done on a basal cell carcinoma on the left side of my forehead. I have a scar that is about an inch long. I never used to have bangs, but do now to cover the scar.

Recently, I went through having all of the damaged, potential skin cancer spots removed. The dermatologists used to recommend using Effudex, which would peel all of the skin off. Now, they have come up with Carac cream, which just takes the damaged spots. The difference between the two creams is that Effudex peels the skin off, within two weeks and Carac is used for a whole month.

November was one of the most painful months of my life! I will ALWAYS use sun screen when I am outside, because I NEVER want to have to do that again. I believe that using Effudex to get it over with faster, would have been the way to go. Carac took most of my face, but it was much slower, thus more painful.

This is one of the procedures that most of us, who ride and show, will have to do in our lifetime. If you are young, please listen to those who have had these procedures. Use sunscreen. Put it on several times a day, when you are showing. Wear protective sun gear ie: brimmed hats and sun-protective clothing.

OP, I did not mean to make your thread into my soapbox, but this is very important to me. Good luck with your procedure. Just because this was a basal cell, does not mean that you can take it for granted. I hope that you will be back in the tack, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    OP, I did not mean to make your thread into my soapbox, but this is very important to me.
    Oh hell on this I agree to being hijacked!!! This is a HUGE deal and for sure its affecting a lot of equestrians who bask in the daily sun and while giving every possible convience to our horses, we often neglect something as simple as sunscreen.

Thanks to everyone, I will be looking for plenty of adult beverages once I am cleared to imbide them!!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

My coworker had a basal cell removed from the bridge of her nose by Mohs surgery. For the first few weeks, the scar was bright pink. Then, much to my amazement, the scar faded away into the normal lines of the face. Surgical scars can usually be done in the direction of the lines of the face, and that helps them heal quickly.

There won't be much strength in the scar for many weeks, so the surgeon will probably tell you to protect the area for a while when you are wearing a helmet. I know lots of parents put bandaids on their kids faces for a month or so after stitches before they let the kids go out and play soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Oh hell on this I agree to being hijacked!!! This is a HUGE deal and for sure its affecting a lot of equestrians who bask in the daily sun and while giving every possible convience to our horses, we often neglect something as simple as sunscreen.

Thanks to everyone, I will be looking for plenty of adult beverages once I am cleared to imbide them!!!

~Emily
    For sure... you have some GOOD beer up your way- and I just learned how to make Cosmos- if you want to know, just ask!

and a new horse (or 2) Really- you'll get better RIGHT AWAY!

be sure to wear sunscreen on that area while it is healing, even in winter -- the new skin will be very prone to sun damage and THAT can cause a visible mark.

My dad has had a bunch of these and they seemed to heal up really well.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Recently, I went through having all of the damaged, potential skin cancer spots removed. The dermatologists used to recommend using Effudex, which would peel all of the skin off. Now, they have come up with Carac cream, which just takes the damaged spots. The difference between the two creams is that Effudex peels the skin off, within two weeks and Carac is used for a whole month.

November was one of the most painful months of my life! I will ALWAYS use sun screen when I am outside, because I NEVER want to have to do that again. I believe that using Effudex to get it over with faster, would have been the way to go. Carac took most of my face, but it was much slower, thus more painful.

OP, I did not mean to make your thread into my soapbox, but this is very important to me. Good luck with your procedure. Just because this was a basal cell, does not mean that you can take it for granted. I hope that you will be back in the tack, soon.
    Welcome to MY world every November. Carac and I are best friends and for a month once a year I look like a leper. The rest of the year I am now best friends with SPF 50.

Swift recover Emily!

Talking

I am home.

Let me be quite clear, I feel like hell. I have a bowling ball for a head and I almost got a Harry Potter Scar. Sadly it will be "L" shaped instead of a lightning bolt.

The hole ended up being a circle 1" by 1.1" when measured. It only took two layer runs to get all the cancer. What took the most work was the stitching up.

I wasn't emotionally prepared for this step. They had to shave part of my head and cut into healthy skin to the left of the hole and up into the hairline.

This took me by surprise and I admit to having a mini breakdown. For about 20 mins I was convinced that I would be ugly as hell for life and that no one would ever think I am beautiful again. When I got my senses back I realized that what an experienced doctor was comfortable doing to give me the best appearence would by all accounts be the best plan to follow.

So for 2 hours+ they cut, and pulled, stiched and stretched and now I have 30 external stitches, in my royal blue colors!!!! and 50 or so more internal stitches.

I had somewhere in the range of 11-13 Lidocaine shots today so I am definitely a Unicorn... big bump. And the doctor says I would likely have a black eye tomorrow.

Anyway I am alive, I will be cleared to ride next Tuesday and I am....FREE OF CANCER!!

And I realize that's the best xmas present of 2008!

AS far as the scar goes we have come up with a good story.... I went to see Santa, and right as I was sitting on his lap an elf was moving a big plastic candy cane and swung it into my head!!! I like that one....kudos to Dad for making me smile!!!!

Also I figured with the scar being an "L" I could name any possible kids I might have with an L name, and then tell them that they left their mark on me!!

Ok so all is well. I am collapsing now.

Be well and happy holidays!!

~Emily

So glad you are home, and that everything is "done". Take good care of yourself and keep thinking about Tuesday ( a great way to ring in the new year!)

Wink

Good girl! Now follow orders and behave yourself at least for a little while! Stay off the d@#m computer....do something completely for yourself tomorrow....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Hurray Emmer! thanks for writing all the details of the trauma that goes with skin cancer removal - I didn't have the fortitude to do it and deal with Rasta's eye at the same time. Be assurred - all the "bumps" go away in a pretty short time and scars make super stories! By the way, I have the websites for several sunscreen companies (can be difficult to get in the winter) - my doctor made me swear to wear 50 +! All year long, even on cloudy days!!!! DO IT!!!! Happiest Holidays!

Lynda
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I know you are glad that is over! I hope you rest well and feel better soon.